Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New version disallows checking parent device values effectively making HS unusable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New version disallows checking parent device values effectively making HS unusable

Hi,

The thing I like least about HS4 is the notion of child devices as a normal construct. About 50% of my devices are virtual devices and I don't need child devices.

As I set up my program on HS4, I was able to avoid setting up child devices in some cases. So in my events I check the device (parent) variable directly. Now with the new version, _all_ parent devices are grayed out for IF sections of the events. For events I already have that check the parent device, they haven't broken. However, since the parent devices are now grayed out, I can no longer add new events that want to check the parent value.

If I add child devices to my virtual devices, I will need to redo a great number of events.

Am I missing something?? Any work-arounds appreciated!

Tahl

You can regroup child device/features under different parents. You could have one parent for Temperature Sensors and then put all your temperature sensors under that one parent. You could even have one Virtual Device and have all your existing children put under that single parent. mcsMQTT and Jon00 grouping utility lets you do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      You can regroup child device/features under different parents.
      That is how I do mine. Here are my 16 lighting control virtual devices under a single root:

Click image for larger version  Name:	49CE6CB2-30A3-487F-9CAE-47558B8009DE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	78.0 KB ID:	1510514

Click image for larger version  Name:	67C5DADE-20B2-422C-A8A6-15023BDE2FBA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	41.9 KB ID:	1510513
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I guess that's rather clever.

Unfortunately, every time HS upgrades they create chaos. HS2 to HS3 took six months of rework. Why just now turn off check parent values after HS4 has been out for how long?

Comment

Michael McSharry randy I was ready to start making child devices under some category parent devices but it appears that once a device is defined, you cannot add "features" i.e., child devices. Am I missing something?

So this means that for each virtual variable, I either have to create two devices -- one a parent and one a child -- or create a device and then use a utility like jon's to move it under a parent?

Comment

Originally posted by tahl View Post
            Michael McSharry randy I was ready to start making child devices under some category parent devices but it appears that once a device is defined, you cannot add "features" i.e., child devices. Am I missing something?

So this means that for each virtual variable, I either have to create two devices -- one a parent and one a child -- or create a device and then use a utility like jon's to move it under a parent?
            I use Jon00’s grouping utility. Don’t ever use it on devices owned by a plug-in, but it works great on Virtual devices. That’s how I built my lighting control device with 16 features in post #3 above. I do find it easier to use the legacy device manager to create the devices, to avoid building a parent and feature each time.

Comment

Also be aware that Jon has solved the Parent/child necessity problem in HS4 with his new utility that allows you to create childless virtual devices.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...-4#post1510631

Comment

Sounds like it is what it is. Like I said create a parent and child device for every variable, or use a third party utility. Poor design. Awkward. Etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tahl View Post
                  Sounds like it is what it is. Like I said create a parent and child device for every variable, or use a third party utility. Poor design. Awkward. Etc.
                  I did this back a few months ago but for the life of me, I can't remember how to do it. I created a virtual device with one child and then made copies of the child/feature so it had more than one feature. I named each of the child/features. Basically I had my Audio Processor as the root, and each child was an on/off for each input. Hopefully, someone here remembers how to do it.

Comment

Using the Mulit-Mark thingy on the Device page.
                    RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Ahh, right. tahl enable bulk edit mode, check the child device to copy under the parent, then bulk edit "copy" and you can create as many children as you need. Hope this helps you, at least with virtual devices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	1511773

Comment

avpman , hi. I've tried to get your suggestion to work to no avail. I'm able to get into bulk edit mode but regardless of what I check (child, parent, both), I'm only allowed 2 bulk actions: add category and delete category. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Comment

I don’t know. It works for me with a couple dozen choices.

Name:	C01C3BD5-8C1C-4572-9940-6C904F68623A.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	1513365

Name:	7858C886-1345-4BB3-9295-663320FD7BD6.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1513366

Comment

Thanks anyway. I'm on a Raspberry Pi so maybe they cut features. I'm between a rock and hard place. I'm on hold for tech support....

Comment

I doubt it is related to hardware. I was able to bulk edit and copy when I briefly had my very large and busy system on a pi. I wonder if it is a a browser issue. What are you using?

Comment

Working...
                              X