No audio from 3.5mm jack on G2 Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No audio from 3.5mm jack on G2 Pi

I bought a new Hometroller G2 to replace my old unit. I transferred all the data from a backup successfully. What I found is there is no audio out from the 3.5mm jack. I changed the settings to transfer audio from HDMI to the jack using raspi-config but it doesn't work. I use this audio out extensively with a large number of audio files controlled by various events. So my new G2 is essentially useless. Homeseer support has had this issue for months and I have gotten no solution. Can anyone verify that the G2 has this systemic problem or contribute ideas for a fix.

Many thanks

What are you trying to play?

For text, HS uses flite. Test with:
    Code:
    flite -t "testing 1 2 3" -voice rms
    For wav audio files (look in the Media folder under the HS root for files),
    Code:
    aplay [I]filename.wav[/I]

Comment

I have an existing Hometroller that for years has been able to play audio wav files executed from simple events. I upgraded to a G2 so I had a backup system and could add more plug-ins. I can test the G2 running the exact same software loaded from the original Hometrollers backup. No audio comes out of the 3.5mm jack on the G2. It does on the old Hometroller. I have set audio out using raspi-config to the jack (rather than HDMI). It seems that whatever was done to create the G2 has eliminated the ability to use the output jack. Unless anyone has seen something different.

Comment

As I said, aplay is the program used to play audio wav files. Does aplay work from the command line? If not, what is the console output?

Here is an example of a successful aplay:
        Code:
        pi@HS4Pro:~ $ [B]aplay /opt/HomeSeer/Media/chime.wav[/B]
        Playing WAVE '/opt/HomeSeer/Media/chime.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 11025 Hz, Mono

Comment

I tried running aplay /opt/HomeSeer/Media/chime.wavsubstituting "gong.wav" a file in my media folder.
          I get an error no such file or directory. When I run an event playing the same wav file however I get the message "playing wave /usr/local/Homeseer/media/gong.wav: signed 16 bit Little Endian , rate 22050". I also get the proper audio out of the HDMI output (from a connected TV). I used raspi-config to change the audio output to the 3.5mm jack and ran the same event. Again I got the same message and the audio worked from the TV. However in no case was there any output from the 3.5mm audio out jack regardless of the system audio out selection. It seems I am getting proper audio in HDMI but the 3.5mm jack appears dead.

Comment

Linux filename are case sensitive. Make sure the 'Media' folder name is spelled with a capital M.

Also I've installed HS in /opt/ vs. /usr/local/ that HST uses. So try

Code:
            aplay /usr/local/HomeSeer/Media/gong.wav

Comment

I tried this on both the old Hometroller and the new G2 and got this result

aplay /usr/local/HomeSeer/Media/gong.wav
              Playing WAVE '/usr/local/HomeSeer/Media/gong.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo

Results were the same on both systems.

Both had audio outputs on HDMI but neither had an output on the 3.5mm jack. Note though that the old system does play the same wav file on the jack using a simple event but aplay does not get a jack output. The new G2 does not have a 3.5mm jack output using exactly the same setup and commands either with aplay directly or an event.

Comment

By default, HS uses aplay to play audio files - see play_audio.sh in the HS root folder.
                Code:
                #!/bin/sh
                aplay "$1"
                Is yours different?

In any event, it seems your new unit has an issue, either software or hardware (software probably being most likely). If you wanted to swap the SD cards you might be able to narrow it down.

Comment

Try
                  Code:
                  aplay -v /usr/local/HomeSeer/Media/gong.wav
                  I get
                  Code:
                  Playing WAVE '/opt/HomeSeer/Media/chime.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 11025 Hz, Mono
                  Plug PCM:[COLOR=#c0392b] Hardware PCM card 0 'bcm2835 Headphones' device 0 subdevice 0[/COLOR]
                  Its setup is:
                  stream : PLAYBACK
                  access : RW_INTERLEAVED
                  format : S16_LE
                  subformat : STD
                  channels : 1
                  rate : 11025
                  exact rate : 11025 (11025/1)
                  msbits : 16
                  buffer_size : 5513
                  period_size : 1376
                  period_time : 124807
                  tstamp_mode : NONE
                  tstamp_type : MONOTONIC
                  period_step : 1
                  avail_min : 1376
                  period_event : 0
                  start_threshold : 5513
                  stop_threshold : 5513
                  silence_threshold: 0
                  silence_size : 0
                  boundary : 1445199872
                  appl_ptr : 0
                  hw_ptr : 0

Comment

The old Hometroller gives this result (set to 3.5mm jack, HS4) but no sound comes out (an event does play sound)
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-07 080955.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1512572Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-07 081650.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1512573

The G2 set up the same way, also has nothing out of the 3.5mm jack

Comment

Read up on this article to give you an insight to what may be going on with your G2. I’m assuming a G2 is probably an RPI3+ so this simplistic article should point you in the right direction https://www.google.ie/amp/s/windowsr...working/%3famp

Comment

The PulseAudio PCM plugin that's showing in your transcript isn't installed by default on the "lite" version of the OS that I'm running. I'll see if I can load up the HS4-Pi image to better replicate your environment.

Just to make sure we're on the same page ... what event action are you using to play the audio file? Mine is shown below. I verified that this calls play_audio.sh in the HS root, which simply calls aplay.

Attached Files

Comment

The test event I use is the same as yours, with one of my audio wav files. I have played around extensively comparing how the new G2 and my old Hometroller behave. The old unit can play audio from either the HDMI or 3.5mm jack depending on the setting. The new G2 has a bug that only allows HDMI output. Both units run on HS4 but have different operating system versions. I loaded a new HS4 disk image into the old system and it behaves the same as the G2 - no 3.5mm jack output. So somewhere an update to the Raspberry has lost the 3.5mm output capability. I've flagged this to HS support and maybe at some point it will be addressed. So I can live with my old system since I've been able to move it to a 32g SD card. I don't know if it will allow unlimited plug-ins. I'll have to test it. I bought a cheap HDMI audio extractor with a 3.5mm audio jack out. If I connect this to the new G2 I can feed my audio setup as it is. An OK work around. I'll have to be careful to have a disk image of the old system before I do any HS4 updates in case the 3.5mm jack output suddenly goes away in the update.

Comment

Did you read up on the link I posted. Have you fully updated your new G2 with sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade. I imagine your older HomeTroller had default sound to audio jack while your newer one defaults to hdmi. Easily rectified. https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.co...ugh-3-5mm-jack

Run Alsamixer which will easily allow you to switch between all audio outputs. This really is simple.

Comment

I have run amixer through various routes and changed the audio out to the 3.5mm jack. It doesn't work on the G2, output is HDMI regardless of the setting. I believe this has been confirmed by customer service. It works fine on the older Hometroller system. I can switch between HDMI and the jack on the old Hometroller. The link https://www.google.ie/amp/s/windowsr...working/%3famp seems to lead to a logo only.

Comment

Working...
                              X