HS4-PI bluetooth doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4-PI bluetooth doesn't work

I downloaded HS4-pi and created an image. HS4 works perfectly. I want to use a bluetooth keyboard but bluetooth was not installed.
    I ran
    Code:
     sudo apt install bluetooth pi-bluetooth bluez blueman
    and everything installed without error and rebooted. But bluetoothctl hangs with or without using sudo.
    I know it isn't a hardware issue because when I use an SD with normal raspbian bluetooth works as expected.

Anyone have any cluses how I can get bluetooth to work on a HS4-PI image?
    James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Do this to enable bluetooth:

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

add this 2 lines:

enable_uart=1

dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt

Comment

Originally posted by PFL View Post
      Do this to enable bluetooth:

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

add this 2 lines:

enable_uart=1

dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt
      I tried that and it did not work. I did not mention that I have a raspberry pi 4 (4gb). I noticed a line that disabled the bluetooth
      Code:
      dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
      but removing that line did not help either.
      James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Raspberry Pi 2/3 have two UARTs, uart1 and uart0. Raspberry Pi 4 has four additional UARTs available. Only uart0/1 is enabled over GPIO pin 14/15 by default. The additional UARTs can be enabled through the device tree overlays.

Comment

1. Edit cmdline.txt and remove "console=serial0,115200" - you don't want Linux to start a console on it.
          2. Edit config.txt and add "enable_uart=1".
          3. Reboot, start up a terminal emulator (minicom, etc.) and open /dev/ttyS0 at 9600 baud (or whatever baud rate the device is meant to run at).

If for some strange reason this doesn't work, you can use the mini-UART for Bluetooth:

4. Edit config.txt again and add "dtoverlay=miniuart-bt".
          5. Reboot, start up a terminal emulator (minicom, etc.) and open /dev/ttyAMA0 at 9600 baud (or whatever baud rate the device is meant to run at).

Comment

5. Reboot, start up a terminal emulator (minicom, etc.) and open /dev/ttyAMA0 at 9600 baud (or whatever baud rate the device is meant to run at).
            The cmdline.txt did not have the console=xxx text so there was nothing to remove. I did add the lines you suggested to my config.txt. Still no progress. Here is the status of the bluetooth deamon

Code:
            [COLOR=#669900]pi@sedona-hs:~ $ sudo systemctl status bluetooth[/COLOR]
            * bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
            Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
            Active: inactive (dead)
            Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)

Jan 09 21:22:17 sedona-hs systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Bluetooth service being skipped.
            James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Bluetooth is disabled on the HS-Pi build due to it conflicting with the serial interface to the Z-Wave GPIO card. If you're not using that, you might be able to restore the original Raspberry Pi configuration by (1) removing "dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt" from /boot /config.txt, (2) re-enabling the hciuart service:
              Code:
              sudo systemctl enable hciuart.service
              (3) reboot

Comment

I did install bluetooth and it's working on my Pi 4B HS4 Box
                Code:

sudo systemctl status bluetooth

bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset

Active: active (running) since Mon 2022-01-10 13:10:53 EST; 42s ago

Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)

Main PID: 1192 (bluetoothd)

Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)

CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service

└─1192 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd

Jan 10 13:10:53 HTPiHubG2v2 systemd[1]: Starting Bluetooth service...

Jan 10 13:10:53 HTPiHubG2v2 bluetoothd[1192]: Bluetooth daemon 5.50

Jan 10 13:10:53 HTPiHubG2v2 systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth service.

Jan 10 13:10:53 HTPiHubG2v2 bluetoothd[1192]: Starting SDP server

Jan 10 13:10:53 HTPiHubG2v2 bluetoothd[1192]: Bluetooth management interface 1.1

lines 1-15/15 (END)

Comment

Edit config.txt

# Enable Bluetooth alternate port

enable_uart=1

#dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt

dtoverlay=uart4

dtoverlay=miniuart-bt

sudo reboot

sudo hciconfig hci0 reset

sudo invoke-rc.d bluetooth restart

Comment

Thanks. I will try to reflash an image and to try again. My image which contains both raspbian and HS4 that I downloaded did not have bluetooth installed. Did you install it first?

James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Originally posted by jasv View Post
                      Thanks. I will try to reflash an image and to try again. My image which contains both raspbian and HS4 that I downloaded did not have bluetooth installed. Did you install it first?
                      The image from HomeSeer removed bluetooth function due to port conflicts. I reconfigured config.txt and enabled HCI service.

Comment

Success! Thank you very much. I've been obsessed.

Originally posted by jasv View Post
                        Thanks. My image which contains both raspbian and HS4 that I downloaded did not have bluetooth installed.
                        I was wrong. It was already installed.

Although it is working now, I am getting a couple of errors. Can Ignore them?

Code:
                        Jan 10 11:12:13 raspbdev bluetoothd[657]: Bluetooth daemon 5.50
                        Jan 10 11:12:13 raspbdev systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth service.
                        Jan 10 11:12:13 raspbdev bluetoothd[657]: Starting SDP server
                        Jan 10 11:12:13 raspbdev bluetoothd[657]: Bluetooth management interface 1.18 initialized
                        [COLOR=#c0392b]Jan 10 11:12:13 raspbdev bluetoothd[657]: Sap driver initialization failed.
                        Jan 10 11:12:13 raspbdev bluetoothd[657]: sap-server: Operation not permitted (1)[/COLOR]
                        Jan 10 11:12:13 raspbdev bluetoothd[657]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.31 path=/org/bluez/hci0/A2DP/SBC/Source/1
                        Jan 10 11:12:13 raspbdev bluetoothd[657]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.31 path=/org/bluez/hci0/A2DP/SBC/Source/2
                        [COLOR=#c0392b]Jan 10 11:12:13 raspbdev bluetoothd[657]: Failed to set privacy: Rejected (0x0b)[/COLOR]
                        James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

edit bluetooth.service

find line and change to /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd --plugin=a2dp

Comment

Edit config.txt

# Enable Bluetooth alternate port

enable_uart=1

#dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt

dtoverlay=uart4

dtoverlay=miniuart-bt

sudo reboot

sudo hciconfig hci0 reset

sudo invoke-rc.d bluetooth restart
                            Hi, I wonder if you could clarify for me.

Are lines 1-5 added to the end of config.txt? then saved and the remaining 3 lines as separate command lines.

If that is the case I get a fail on sudo hciconfig hci0 reset with a no such device, any further ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by trevor-austin View Post

Hi, I wonder if you could clarify for me.

Are lines 1-5 added to the end of config.txt? then saved and the remaining 3 lines as separate command lines.

If that is the case I get a fail on sudo hciconfig hci0 reset with a no such device, any further ideas?
                              Yes, but you still need to do this:

sudo apt install bluetooth pi-bluetooth bluez blueman

Comment

Working...
                              X