Easy way to Daily Reboot Homeseer 4 (Hs4) on PI / Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy way to Daily Reboot Homeseer 4 (Hs4) on PI / Linux

I was having issues with the Z Wave controller not connecting to my blinds after a few days and was trying to find a simple way to schedule reboots.

Finally found a simple way and thought id share.

Just create an event -> set to trigger at a time and use the built in restart.sh script

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-11 114402.png
Views:	642
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1520018

It would be easier to resolve your problem than having to restart the system daily. Servers by nature are designed to run 24/7/365 and are only restarted for maintenance purposes. Try posting your problem here and see if others can shed some light.

Comment

Yeah, some users report that their events disappear after reboots, so I would do as concordseer says...
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Since the restart.sh script simply does a hard reboot (after a 20-second wait) won't the hard reboot exacerbate the current problem with the events.json file (or others) getting corrupted? Or are you betting on the fact that running the script off-hours would lessen that possibility? I need to do a nightly reboot also for other reasons. I was just going to create a cron job. But I like this method as it's easier to modify the event if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by camauto View Post
          I was having issues with the Z Wave controller not connecting to my blinds after a few days....
          Does disabling the Z-wave plugin and then re-enabling it again also resolve the issue?
          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

Does disabling the Z-wave plugin and then re-enabling it again also resolve the issue?
            If so, check out Jon's restart plugin. I use it to stop and restart the Z-Wave plugin on a 3 hour cycle. Since I started doing that a year ago, Z-Wave has been very stable.

Comment

You can try cron job.

sudo crontab -e

Enter this command to schedule a reboot. This command will schedule a daily reboot at 6:30am.

30 6 * * * /sbin/shutdown -r now

Comment

Yeah, the Jon restart plugin doesn't exist on the Raspberry PI. So this simple event works for me and easy to manage

Basically the blinds by graber on zwave stop reporting at random and i found a reboot worked.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                  Yeah, some users report that their events disappear after reboots, so I would do as concordseer says...
                  Other than for maintenance purposes, upgrading etc why would anyone want to restart a server daily. Surely the need to do this indicates bigger trouble ahead. I’ve seen this solution offered on so many times with other server applications which clearly masks underlying issues with the server setup. I know what I’d rather have. A properly functioning server that does its job without any daily intervention.

Comment

A common problem is RAM usage growth over time by applications running on the server. A daily restart caps the growth before it becomes a problem. Some things are beyond the control of the user and management becomes the only alternative. It really does not matter if there is a user login or application run as a service. The same issue can occur.

Comment

Yeah, the Jon restart plugin doesn't exist on the Raspberry PI.
                      Not sure where you got that information from but restart works on every version of HS4...
                      Jon

Comment

I searched the Plugin directory and couldn't find it..?

Maybe the search is broken or it's not whitelisted to show up on PI devices?

I checked again today and didnt find anything with the phrase restart or called jon restart.

Comment

I searched the Plugin directory and couldn't find it..?

Maybe the search is broken or it's not whitelisted to show up on PI devices?

I checked again today and didnt find anything with the phrase restart or called jon restart.
                          You have to look on jon00 's site to find it. He has tons of stuff. Please donate something if you find useful things. We need to support him.

http://www.jon00.me.uk/index.shtml

Comment

While JON00 contributions are outstanding, his method of distribution does not follow the norm for HomeSeer. If you are looking for a method to start/stop/restart a plugin or HS, then the mcsMQTT plugin will provide that capability. At the same time, it gives you visibility into the CPU utilization for each. You will find it via normal distribution via the HS Updater.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                              While JON00 contributions are outstanding, his method of distribution does not follow the norm for HomeSeer.
                              Lol... with over 100 different downloads available across HS2 to HS4, HST could never manage that in their updater. Seeing the pain/waiting times other PI authors go through to just get one PI updated etc is not for me. I like total control of what I do.

Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X