Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Else using a Raspberry Pi 400?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Anyone Else using a Raspberry Pi 400?

    I'd be interested in comparing notes.

    1. I can't seem to get WiFi working using the HS4-Pi image. I'm about to swap SD cards with a fresh Raspbian image to see if that makes a difference. EDIT: Still didn't work with the fresh image. More testing and research determined that the problem was the fact that my SSID was hidden. I needed an extra keyword in wpa_supplicant.conf, scan_ssid=1.

    2. I see a bunch of gpio commands in /etc/rc.local and that doesn't seem like a good idea on the Pi 400. EDIT2: These appear to be for controlling LEDs on the Hometroller. Commented them out since they were messing with the GPIO pins I plan on using for other things.

    3. I'm using a UCTronics PoE power splitter for 5V/Ethernet to power the Pi400 off of a Unifi PoE switch. Anyone else doing this? EDIT3: I found the PoE splitter I'm using on the Vilros site being sold as a PoE solution for the Pi4B, which has the same power requirements as the Pi400, 5V @ 2.4A.

    Thanks,
    Ken

    #2
    You should not run HomeSeer with WiFi, else : https://support.thepihut.com/hc/en-u...-WiFi-problems


    Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Eman View Post
      You should not run HomeSeer with WiFi, else : https://support.thepihut.com/hc/en-u...-WiFi-problems


      Eman.
      Not an issue. HS4Pi is bound to the wired interface. The WiFi is for communicating with IoT sensors (energy usage) that are on an isolated network.

      Comment


        #4
        I am running a Pi4 using wifi with no issues... as the article says maybe it is more a router issue? I have an Orbi router and it tends to stick you on 5 if it can and doesn't like to move you to 2.4... which is an issue for my TV which needs the 2.4 for bandwidth.

        Comment


          #5
          I have a Pi 400, and I found that its WiFi performance is quite poor. I gave up and now only use it with an Ethernet connection.

          Comment


            #6
            I have a UniFi network and for things like this, I force the device to a specific band and lock it to an AP. Any type of device with a weak WiFi signal can really mess with networks. The APs have a tendency to pass them around, hoping to get them better performance.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by SteveW View Post
              I have a Pi 400, and I found that its WiFi performance is quite poor. I gave up and now only use it with an Ethernet connection.
              Noted, and Thanks. I'm going to keep an eye on it for now and see how it goes. If it becomes a problem, I'll just poke a hole in the firewall between my IoT and Control network, where HS4Pro and HS4Pi are running. The HS4Pi instance is really just somewhat of an experimental platform. I have several energy monitoring sensors that use http POST to publish readings. I wrote a Python3 service to receive those messages and re-publish them as MQTT messages. The sensors are on the IoT network (WiFi) and the MQTT messages are published on the Control network (wired). I also have a serial data logger (USB) and I plan on writing a Python3 service to poll the data in the logger and republish it as MQTT messages as well.

              Comment


                #8
                If you know some electronics, you can modify Pi 400 board to use external antenna. external antenna will make wifi much better.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by PFL View Post
                  If you know some electronics, you can modify Pi 400 board to use external antenna. external antenna will make wifi much better.
                  Have you done this is seen it done? I found some YT videos for doing it on a 4/4B, but I don't see the pads for an SMA connector on the 400.

                  TBH, I'd probably just use an external USB WiFi adapter with an antenna if it became a problem. It looks like the buster release has drivers for Realtek chips which are pretty common in external WiFi dongles.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by kenm View Post

                    Have you done this is seen it done? I found some YT videos for doing it on a 4/4B, but I don't see the pads for an SMA connector on the 400.

                    TBH, I'd probably just use an external USB WiFi adapter with an antenna if it became a problem. It looks like the buster release has drivers for Realtek chips which are pretty common in external WiFi dongles.
                    Due to the space, you need to use u.fl connector. SMA is too big on the circuit board.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by PFL View Post

                      Due to the space, you need to use u.fl connector. SMA is too big on the circuit board.
                      Ah. Makes sense. Do you have any links to YT videos? I can't find anything on doing the mod on the Pi400, only the Pi4.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by kenm View Post

                        Ah. Makes sense. Do you have any links to YT videos? I can't find anything on doing the mod on the Pi400, only the Pi4.
                        You don't need any video. Just find the Wi-Fi module RF out. cut out the trace, solder a u.fl connector and ground. that's it, very simple.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by PFL View Post

                          You don't need any video. Just find the Wi-Fi module RF out. cut out the trace, solder a u.fl connector and ground. that's it, very simple.
                          Thanks. I think I'll go with an external USB dongle if the internal antenna doesn't cut it.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by kenm View Post

                            Thanks. I think I'll go with an external USB dongle if the internal antenna doesn't cut it.
                            See my HS4 Pi4, it is an Wi-Fi AP, it is HS4 controller, it is also a VPN server, NTP server and UniFi controller. The short antenna is for Wi-Fi, only 2.75cm, the tall one is Z-Wave antenna for 850MHz-950MHz.



                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by PFL View Post

                              See my HS4 Pi4, it is an Wi-Fi AP, it is HS4 controller, it is also a VPN server, NTP server and UniFi controller. The short antenna is for Wi-Fi, only 2.75cm, the tall one is Z-Wave antenna for 850MHz-950MHz.



                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Impressive that you run everything. I could not manage to run HS on this device. It did not like my set-up .

                              ---
                              John

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X