Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migrating HS4 to HS Pi-troller

Hi All,

Back again. Moved homes a few months ago, finally at the point that I can start rebuilding my home automation once again (my how I have missed it).

Here's where I am:

-Have a current W10 PC running HS4. The system current still reflects my OLD home setup (used a Z-net) and had a good number of Z-wave devices.
    -Just purchased a HomeTroller Pi G2.

I want to migrate my current W10 HS4 setup onto the new Pi unit. The Pi unit will return to my old home (going to be purchased by a family member) and run things there for her. I then want to clear my W10 system and start over with a new system I'm building at my new place.

I searched through the boards and found some references, but some of the links are broken.

I've saved a backup from the W10 system, and then uploaded it to the Pi system. That seems to work - transfers the data (about 30mb), then restarts and it steps me through guided setup. However, after setup completes I'm left looking at the basic Hometroller Pi screen with 3 devices (internal Z-wave, Virtual devices #1 and #2) No hide nor hair of my supposedly "uploaded" and migrated setup.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but I'm have trouble figuring out what exactly that would be . Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Before restoring your config to the Pi, make sure you have all of the plugins installed. Backup/Restore doesn't move plugins.

<Removed comment about starting over fresh>

Edit: Mis-read your post that the Pi is going back to the old house.
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Thanks Kenm. I will do that.

Are there any instructions floating around that you could suggest?
      ​​​​​​
      Once the plugins are installed, should I expect that restoring will put all the devices back in?

What about the plugins that wouldn't be needed anymore? (I.e. for my cars)

Comment

I don't know of any instructions for this specific case, but as long as you have your old Win10 system, you won't loss anything. I'd suggest you install Jon00's Device Viewer/Documenter utility on your old Win10 system so you can compare that to the new Pi installation. I'd suggest you go ahead and install the same plugins as you had on the Win10 system and then you can clean up what you don't need after that. Worst case, you'll have to re-image the Pi and start over a few times.
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

You will need to migrate the Z-Wave database from the old Z-Net to the new PI G2. The Z-Wave database is stored on the actual z-wave chip on the daughter card in the Z-Net.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
            You will need to migrate the Z-Wave database from the old Z-Net to the new PI G2. The Z-Wave database is stored on the actual z-wave chip on the daughter card in the Z-Net.
            I got the impression that the Z-Net was staying at the old house to be used with the new Pi-G2. If that's the case then you wouldn't want to make the internal Z-Wave controller the primary. nyc2pit Can you clarify that part?

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

I got the impression that the Z-Net was staying at the old house to be used with the new Pi-G2. If that's the case then you wouldn't want to make the internal Z-Wave controller the primary. nyc2pit Can you clarify that part?
              Thanks for the replies guys.

The Z-net is coming to the new house. I run the HS4 software from my server, and I was not able to centrally locate it in the old house - hence the Z-net. The new house has the same issue, so my plan was the same - locate the znet centrally.

So to make sure I understand -

-I want to migrate the Z-wave database from the Z-net to the PiG2. I'm not sure I know how to do this, but let me do some searching. Does this get done before or after I restore a backup to the PiG2? How about before or after I setup the plugins, etc?

Comment

Hi all -

So finally got some time to get back to this.

So here's what I've done so far:

-Installed all plugins on the Hometroller Pi
                -Added the Z-net to the network - so my OLD HS4 setup can see/recognize the Znet
                -Created a backup of the OLD HS4 and saved it to the computer
                -RESTORED the OLD HS4 to the Hometroller Pi - seemed to be successful
                -Stepped through initial setup on the Hometroller Pi after restore - seemed to be successful

So now I have SOME of the devices back - mostly those assocated with Envisalink and Chromecast plugins.
                I do NOT have an Z-wave devices listed. And in fact, the Hometroller Pi seems to ALSO recognize the Znet on the same network.

Several people above mentioned that I would need to "migrate the Z-Wave database from the old Z-Net to the new PI G2. The Z-Wave database is stored on the actual z-wave chip on the daughter card in the Z-Net."

I was hopeful that doing a backup/restore WITH the ZNET connected would do this for me but doesn't seem to be the case.

Can someone tell me how to do this?

Thanks!

Comment

OK, I was able to move it along.

From the OLD Z-Net - I did the "Backup this interface" and saved this to the W10PC
                  Located the file on the W10PC
                  Logged into the NEW HS4 on Rpi
                  Used the internal Z-wave interface, selected "Restore a Network to this Interface"

This drop down shows a bunch of options (from last Sept?) but obviously not the recent one I just created. And I can't select a different path to find that recently created file.

So I'm thinking I need to copy that new file onto the Rpi manually so it will see it and then I can restore it - but I can't get the Rpi to allow me to login via PuTTY or WinSCP.

Can anyone help?

Comment

Can anyone help me? I submitted a request to HS Support and they basically blew me off. The gave me nonsense advice, and I don't think they actually even read my question.

I have the backups from my CURRENT setup created.

I have been able to restore the backup files from my old setup to the new Rpi.

I CANNOT restore the Z-wave config file from my old setup to the Rpi. Probably because the "restore" function DOESN'T ALLOW YOU TO POINT TO A DIFFERENT LOCATION OFF OF THE RPI!!!!

Comment

Do you have the credentials to login to the HS4-Pi? Try 'homeseer' and 'hsthsths4' to put the files onto the Pi. Then login to the Pi and us 'sudo cp' to copy the files to /usr/local/HomeSeer/data/Z-Wave'

You can also use the 'root' account to scp them directly but I don't remember the default root password. I changed that a long time ago and I use ssh keys to login now.

Comment

Ken -

Thanks. I don't seem to have those credentials. I have used the one you suggested wihtout luck

To make sure I'm doing this right, my setup on WinSCP is SFTP, hostname is the IP, port is 22, username as above, PW as above. I get "access denied."

I tried to login with my username, also get "access denied."

I do not have a password for "root" access - would anyone else have that?

I'm willing to wipe and factory reset this, is there a way to do that?

Comment

Just by way of followup, I did get this resolved. It was a nightmare. It took about 10 days of back and forth with HS Support. This included multiple attempts at backups, Z-wave backups and restorations, etc. Frankly, it took support logging into my system to make it work.

And even now the events didn't transfer over to the new system, etc.

So like most things HS, it's a mess and not as easy as it should be, but it eventually works...

Thanks to support (Matt) for his help.

Comment

Working...
                          X