Auto Local Backup Fails to Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Local Backup Fails to Run

Auto Local Backup of HS4 Configuration fails to run. It is set to run 2/week, but fails to initiate.
    I can do a manual backup (which I then copy with "Restore" to a local HDD).
    Auto backup initially worked, but seems to have stopped after a system update (can't recall which one, but has been for at least 1 yr).
    Note:: I run the Hometroller in a local mode ONLY (no remote access, no cloud storage), I access the Hometroller through a separate independent router NOT connected to the Internet.
    I do not current use the CM15A Plugin - it is disabled.
    I have disabled many settings not required eg HSSentry, Speaker Client, Developer Mode, Security Offset, etc. Not sure if this is part of the problem.
    Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Below is system profile details

Date/time=4/21/2022 4:07:08 PM CDT
    Version=HS4 ZEE S2/PI Edition 4.2.8.0 (Linux)
    MONO Version=Mono JIT compiler version 6.10.0.104 (tarball Fri Jun 26 19:59:14 UTC 2020)

License=Registered
    Confguration File=/usr/local/HomeSeer/Data/HomeSeerData.json
    Uptime=0 Days 0 Hours 59 Minutes 7 Seconds
    Lan IP=192.168.XX..XX (HTPiHubG1)
    Device Count=8
    Event Count=26
    Plugins Enabled=Z-Wave:,Z-Wave UI:
    Modules/Threads=82 Modules, 37 Threads
    Available Threads=399
    HomeSeer Memory Used=82 Mbytes
    Plugins Installed=CM15A 3.0.0.8,Z-Wave 3.0.7.0,Z-Wave UI 1.0.0.0
    Disk Size=14.75GB

Consider contacting HS support for this. Having said that, it looks like this might be a security issue, though it is strange you can do backups manually. Are you storing the backups to a different place when doing them manually? Most of the services you mentioned (HSSentry, etc) shouldn't have any influence but I am not sure what the security offset thingy is.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Backup is being stored directly on the Hometroller Pi in the default directory. BTW I can edit the auto backup and save it. It just does not rum - "restore" calendar only shows last manual backup.

Comment

John Not to sidetrack you from using the HS Backup tools, but the de facto backup utility for Linux is rsync. It can be run from a cron job and create full or incremental backups locally as well as across a network.

https://linuxhint.com/inotofy-rsync-bash-live-backups/
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

I'd recommend putting in a support ticket on this issue as this should work out of the box.
          https://dev.homeseer.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/2
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thank you kenm and Rupp. Kenm. I am familiar with rsync, and have thought about this. I use it on my Linux boxes, but was hoping to keep it as simple as possible with HSPi. Also, , I am not sure how to access the Homeseer Pi OS. My needs are very simple and basic. Also, I have been hesitant to play with the HSPi. I have tried to use the Linux function in the HS GUI but this does not seem to have enough functionality or I am not using it correctly. Can you direct me to a good explanation or Howto to safely address the OS??

Rupp - Thank you for your suggestion - may need to go this route and may be safest approach. BTW otherwise the HSPi works great and has been very reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
              Thank you kenm and Rupp. Kenm. I am familiar with rsync, and have thought about this. I use it on my Linux boxes, but was hoping to keep it as simple as possible with HSPi. Also, , I am not sure how to access the Homeseer Pi OS. My needs are very simple and basic. Also, I have been hesitant to play with the HSPi. I have tried to use the Linux function in the HS GUI but this does not seem to have enough functionality or I am not using it correctly. Can you direct me to a good explanation or Howto to safely address the OS??

Rupp - Thank you for your suggestion - may need to go this route and may be safest approach. BTW otherwise the HSPi works great and has been very reliable.
              I only started using a Pi with the HS4 version so my info is limited. The default password for user "homeseer" is "hsthsths4' and user "root" is "homeseerpi". They are both accessible via ssh or by attaching a keyboard/monitor to the hub. The passwords should be changed from the defaults ASAP, IMHO.
              "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Working...
              X