Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Email with gmail not working, or private domain - Solved!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email with gmail not working, or private domain - Solved!

Hi everyone,
    I can see by google searches and searches on this forum that the email for HS4 has been discussed a lot. However, it all seems to be outdated. I have spent a couple days now trying to get my HomeSeer (which runs on a Raspberry Pi3) to send email. I have created a gmail account for the HS4 system, and entered the appropriate username/password and used smtp.gmail.com using port 465 and SSL. I also have "Less secure app access" turned on. (but it going to be no longer available after May 30, 2022). Anyway, gmail claims the username & password are invalid everytime I try.

Error Exception sending email via GMail (To:xxxxxx@gmail.com, cc:, bcc:, Sub:test event triggered, Attach = Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at

So I gave up and set up an email account on my private domain. Using the information they supply I still get the error below:

Error Exception sending email via mail.xxxxxx.ca (To:xxxxx@gmail.com, cc:, bcc:, Sub:test event triggered, Attach = Authenticate as SSL client failed. You might be connecting to non SSL port.

Again using port 465 as instructed by my hosting company. I don't actually care which I use gmail or my own, but I'm at a wall and have no idea where to go from here.

Any help is greatly appreciated at this point.

Google sort of lied. For third party email clients (like the HS client) you need to create a unique client password for each account. You do this by going to Gmail.com. Signing on, going to your account and add another app. You can call it HomeSeer. It will give you a string of gobblety gook. Copy/Paste it as it can get onerous, into the password field in HS and Gmail will be your friend again.

Comment

Well holy crap it worked! At first I couldn't find the setting you spoke of, then a sentence somewhere in Google settings caught my eye. 2 Step verification needs to be turned on to get that option. Set that all up, changed the settings in HS and be damed if I didn't get an email from my system and no red line in the log!!

Thank you so much, this has been driving me crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by rivetman@comcast.net

George, I'm new to Gmail so I didn't quite get the part where you add another App. Did you mean Account?
        Can you give me a little more detail about that part?
        You go into your Google email account profile, down mid way there is something that says to add an app specific password. You click on that and enter the application name (This time HomeSeer), it will respond with some gobbldy gook characters. Copy and paste them into the password field in the email setup page in HS.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

I hope these pictures help. Gotta turn on that 2 step verification to get the option to create another password

Comment

Originally posted by Onexl85@gmail.com View Post
                I hope these pictures help. Gotta turn on that 2 step verification to get the option to create another password

You're the best George. That did the trick and it works great now. I'll bet this will be a huge problem tomorrow when Google makes the change.
                It wasn't quite that simple as I am doing it on Windows 11 and I had to look for both the 2 step verification and the Add App password in my Google account
                Go to:
                Google Account
                -Security
                --Signing in to Google
                ---App passwords.
                ---- make a new app and generate a new password as per your instructions earlier

Comment

Thanks very much for the solution.
                  Just one final clarification, the password that you generate is pasted into the "Gmail Pass" field in the Email page in Setup (to replace the original password)

Comment

Working...
                  X