Insteon Thermostats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Thermostats

It is critical that I control 7 Insteon thermostats in 4 locations. I am working in site 1 and have updated to Beta 4.0.3.6 successfully. It is talking to my Insteon hub and I can control lights no problem. I see that I need Thermostat plugin v3.0.8.0. Is it available anywhere at this point?

Hi mmclaurin -- I see you posted this in in the HS-Pi forum -- and this (probably) explains why you're not seeing the Insteon Thermostat 3.0.8.0 beta in your plugins list: it isn't available for Linux (yet). I just inherited the plugin a few weeks ago, and, with Mark Sandler's awesome help, was able to get it functional again. BUT, I haven't made a Linux build (yet) -- I will try figure that out in the next couple of days (I'm not a Linux person -- my days of GREP and BASH are long behind me). The windows beta is available but that won't help you if you have to use the HT-Pi...

Will have some news in a couple of days...john

Comment

I'm very interested in getting my insteon thermostat working again. Please let me know when there is a version that will work on hs4-pi

Comment

Try to install the beta on your HT-PI now...

Comment

It worked great! All is well now. Thanks so much!

Comment

Great -- important: go to HS4 -> Plugins -> Insteon Thermostat -> Config page. Click the Thermostats tab and find your thermostat -- on far right of the row, click the "Update Links" button. A message will display at the top of the page -- wait until it clears. This process lets the thermostat send data back to HS4; you should not need to do it again.

Test by
            1) going to HS4 Devices page -- note the setpoint for cool or heat, depending on the current Mode (the thermostat ignores changes to setpoints other than the current mode)
            2) go to your thermostat and change the set point several degrees
            3) verify HS4 Devices page updates

Note: the mobile App does not update automatically; click the refresh button at the top to get it to display the latest values.

Comment

Thanks! Seems to work ok and is responsive. Should I be able to control from alexa? "Alexa tell homeseer to set heating to 65" is not recognized.
              I had the old plugin installed and disabled and it kept the id of the thermostat when I installed the beta

The config page is not made for mobile display. I have to zoom in and move it left and right to see it. Or turn my phone sideways

Comment

re: Config page display -- when (if) I rewrite this to be a "native" HS4 plugin, this will be fixed. But given that I just took this over a month ago, and there are only a handful of new users (i.e. folks who will pay for it), I probably won't bother unless it stops users from using the plugin. $39 just goes so far...LOL...
                re: Alexa -- I am actively looking at it. So far, I have been able to get mode to work "Alexa, set the bedroom thermostat to cool" but haven't gotten the setpoints working yet -- I'd also like to query for info "Alexa, what is the temperature of the bedroom thermostat" -- will keep you posted...

Comment

Which alexa skill are you using? There is one that requires you to say "Alexa tell homeseer to..." and the other one doesn't but doesn't support all the commands as well
                  The one keeps dropping the linking even though alexa shows it is still linked and I have to disable it and re-link it all the time.

Comment

I'm using "HomeSeer SmartHome" skill -- I saw the other one but didn't want the hassle of using the "...tell homeseer to..." phrase. I use Alexa ALOT; it is what makes my Insteon installation palatable to the wife -- I've mostly got it working fine (even better than pre HomeSeer) -- but I've never used it for thermostat control. I had not heard that the SmartHome skill had any drawbacks...sigh...nothing is EVER easy...

Comment

I am seeing this constantly get logged
                      PM~Legacy-Plugin~Insteon Thermostat~InsteonPI StartConnection command returned False
                      2022-5-25_09:25:41:2189: 5/25/2022 9:25:41 PM~Legacy-Plugin~Insteon Thermostat Error~Error while connecting to Insteon plugin. It is running? Will try again in 10 seconds...
                      2022-5-25_09:25:51:2401: 5/25/2022 9:25:51 PM~Legacy-Plugin~Insteon Thermostat~Insteon PLM address = 53.BF.EE

Also I installed the homeseer beta and then went back to latest release. Then I noticed the each of the thermostat features (heat, fan, etc..) were repeated 8 times each, even after disabling the plugin. I end up deleting them all and re-installing the plugin to make those go away

Comment

The "Error while connecting to Insteon plugin" indicates the thermostat plugin is not able to communicate with the MNS Insteon plugin; please make sure it is installed and you are on the latest version.
                        I have no clue what could have caused 8 instances of the controls -- that is very weird. I'm not sure what could have caused that.

Comment

I can control the thermostat ok but I see this in the logs. How can I get rid of this error?

5/30/2022 5:08:13 PM
                          Legacy-Plugin
                          Insteon Thermostat Error
                          Unable to insert into SQLite table: "Thermostat" Perhaps you have an old format DB file? : No connection associated with this command

5/30/2022 5:08:13 PM
                          Legacy-Plugin
                          Insteon Thermostat Error
                          Error creating SQLite table: "Thermostat" : No connection associated with this command

Comment

Congratulations; this is twice you've stumped the chump -- Question: are you using a HT Pi (i.e. linux) device? Have you tried to program the thermostat from the plugin? (the thermostat can also be programmed at the thermostat itself but these programs don't come into the plugin). I have not attempted to get the plugin programming working yet; still wading thru the basics...

Also, be sure and run the "Update Links" for each of your thermostats from the plugin Config page -> Thermostats tab. To clean up your logs, you can turn off all the "Log..." checkboxes on the Config page General tab.

Comment

Working...
                            X