Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ISP's router craps out, have to restart HS4.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Funny, I don't even have an "Ethernet settings" under network.
    Is that the windows version only maybe?
    Why would they even have that at all?? The network should be set in Windows itself. Not in HS.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Demusman View Post
      Funny, I don't even have an "Ethernet settings" under network.
      Is that the windows version only maybe?
      Why would they even have that at all?? The network should be set in Windows itself. Not in HS.
      It’s not the Windows version. Might be a Pi.

      HS4 Pro, Windows 10 pro

      Comment


        #18
        Ah yeah, that makes sense.

        Comment


          #19
          Yes, this is a PI.

          My gateway address is actually 192.168.0.1. However, I am unable to update the screen to show that.

          Back to the original issue. How can I delay startup on the PI so that the router can catch up and be ready before the PI gets hung up trying to use the static IP?

          Comment


            #20

            Originally posted by MikeND View Post
            Yes, this is a PI.

            My gateway address is actually 192.168.0.1. However, I am unable to update the screen to show that.

            Back to the original issue. How can I delay startup on the PI so that the router can catch up and be ready before the PI gets hung up trying to use the static IP?
            Have a good read of this. You should be able to resolve your issue using this as a template https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-using-systemd

            Comment


              #21
              Thanks. I'm not a Linux guy (probably should have bought the Windows box) but I'll see if I can figure it out.

              Comment


                #22
                Hi,

                I'm having the same issue. After a household power failure, my HomeToller G3v2 reboots but never connects properly. The light stays blue forever (not green). If I restart it again, everything is fine. This would be a major inconvenience if I was not home to do this manually.
                I suspect the issue is the router take longer to reboot than the PI and doesn't get an IP. Just a guess though.

                I've seen some instructions for modifying the line to delay or retry to get an IP. Someone suggested I try to install raspi-config and change the settings. I'm hesitant to try that unless approved by Homeseer. I definitely don't want to maintain an custom linux settings go forward if Homeseer has upgrades. It would be great to know this fix could be added to a future homelier official release? Or even better, that there is an official method to get this working today

                Thanks,
                James

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by ejb068 View Post
                  Hi,

                  I'm having the same issue. After a household power failure, my HomeToller G3v2 reboots but never connects properly. The light stays blue forever (not green). If I restart it again, everything is fine. This would be a major inconvenience if I was not home to do this manually.
                  I suspect the issue is the router take longer to reboot than the PI and doesn't get an IP. Just a guess though.

                  I've seen some instructions for modifying the line to delay or retry to get an IP. Someone suggested I try to install raspi-config and change the settings. I'm hesitant to try that unless approved by Homeseer. I definitely don't want to maintain an custom linux settings go forward if Homeseer has upgrades. It would be great to know this fix could be added to a future homelier official release? Or even better, that there is an official method to get this working today

                  Thanks,
                  James
                  Take a look at the link in my post above: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...15#post1548015

                  Your theory is what I reproduced and documented in that post.


                  Comment


                    #24
                    Thanks, Yes I did read through, but like MikeND, I'm not a linux guy. I have exactly the same issue that MikeND is reporting. I also had a static IP selected in the HS4 setup/Network page.

                    I would be great if the device automatically re-tried the network etc.

                    Appreciate the help,
                    James

                    Comment


                      #25
                      kenm
                      Thanks for the tips. I followed the instructions to set up a static IP in PI
                      https://www.makeuseof.com/raspberry-pi-set-static-ip/

                      The instructions were very clear and easy to setup
                      1) I used puTTY to login to the PI box
                      2) I edited the configuration file
                      3) I rebooted from the interface per the instructions
                      4) The PI box came up and it had the expected static IP address

                      Then I power failed the entire network (router, ISP modem, homeseer, other hubs).
                      1) All of the other devices came up but Homeseer stayed in the "blue light" condition.
                      2) I was still able to connect to the PI box with my static IP address. MyHS gave me a connection error
                      3) I did a "hostname - I" command and it replied with the static IP address that I had set.
                      4) I did a manual reboot from the command line and the PI box came back up correctly
                      5) I was able to connect via MyHS

                      I appears that setting a static IP on the PI box doesn't fix the issue of the PI box getting the wrong IP address.
                      Did I do it incorrectly? Please let me know if I misunderstood the comments above.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Hi MikeND,

                        It sounds like you have a static IP set up correctly since you were able to connect to the Pi using the local IP but not MyHS. I'm guessing that HS4 is trying to "register" with MyHS during boot but is failing to do so due to your router not being up yet. Check your startup log for messages related to MyHS. Instead of manually rebooting, try going to Setup->Network, MyHS Remote Access Settings and find Enable Remote Access through MyHS Service. Uncheck that option and Save, then check that option and Save again. That should force HS4 to drop and then try to reconnect with MyHS.

                        If this is successful, it sounds like HS4 needs to periodically retry MyHS registration if it fails during startup.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          I can confirm I have the same issue as MikeND .

                          After a power failure, the network comes back up, but the Homeseer stays with a blue light. I can not access it through the homelier local web interface. I can connect to the Pi using SSH and was able to reboot the unit. On reboot the homeseer works as it is supposed to and the green light is displayed.

                          Seems if the Homeseer doesn't have internet access on boot up it never is able to connect even if network access is available some time later. Can this be resolved? Power failures seem quite common.

                          Thanks!

                          Comment


                            #28
                            ejb068 Do you have a static IP address set on your Pi? If not, can you use the instructions above to set that and see if you get the same results as MikeND?

                            Comment


                              #29
                              kenm
                              I uploaded the MyHS log for the time period where I updated the PI OS, power failed the system, and restarted it. It looks like, in all cases, the Homeseer app is completing its loading routines. However, I can't connect to MyHS unless I reboot with the network up.

                              You said that I should change the network settings instead of manually rebooting. I actually can't get to the MyHS site at all unless I reboot. It gives me a "web page unavailable" when I try to connect to the homeseer box after the power fail. When I go into the OS and do a linux reboot, then all is well.
                              Attached Files

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by MikeND View Post
                                kenm
                                I uploaded the MyHS log for the time period where I updated the PI OS, power failed the system, and restarted it. It looks like, in all cases, the Homeseer app is completing its loading routines. However, I can't connect to MyHS unless I reboot with the network up.

                                You said that I should change the network settings instead of manually rebooting. I actually can't get to the MyHS site at all unless I reboot. It gives me a "web page unavailable" when I try to connect to the homeseer box after the power fail. When I go into the OS and do a linux reboot, then all is well.
                                Hi MikeND When you get into this bad state, can you access the web UI using the static IP address you set, just not through MyHS? If not, try running the following command from the command line:

                                netstat -tulpn

                                If you aren't logging in as root, you may need to prefix it with sudo. Please post the output of that command.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X