Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4-Pi unable to upgrade Z-Wave Plugin

Current Version: 4.2.12.0 of HS4-Pi

I disable the Z-Wave plugin, then click the cloud symbol to upgrade.
    The browser screen darkens, then NOTHING happens.
    No log entries, no nothing...

Is there really a pending update that I should apply?
    Attached Files

There is an update. The current Z-Wave plug-in is 3.0.10.0. When the screen dims, a pop up should come up. Make sure you don’t have them blocked.
    HS4 Pro, Windows 10 pro

Comment

I have tried different browsers without any pop up blockers. Still no pop up. I have been able to upgrade other plugins in the past.

Comment

RESOLVED / SOLUTION:

Per HS Support - Reinstall the Z-Wave plugin instead of trying to upgrade it.

Comment

I have a plugin that's doing the same thing. I successfully upgraded two others before tripping on the one that won't upgrade. I suspect it has something to do with a config/setup/upgrade file that's misconfigured. Uninstall/re-install is a brutal workaround but did work.

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
            I have a plugin that's doing the same thing. I successfully upgraded two others before tripping on the one that won't upgrade. I suspect it has something to do with a config/setup/upgrade file that's misconfigured. Uninstall/re-install is a brutal workaround but did work.
            How is it brutal?

I'm facing this now too and wonder how bad it is. Do I have to re-pair my 100+ Z-Wave devices or something? Because that'd be the final straw for me.

Sigh.

Jeremy

Comment

Originally posted by jzawodn View Post

How is it brutal?

I'm facing this now too and wonder how bad it is. Do I have to re-pair my 100+ Z-Wave devices or something? Because that'd be the final straw for me.

Sigh.

Jeremy
              OK. That was a bad choice of words. Having to uninstall and re-install anything seems like more of a "make it go away" instead of "figure out what is wrong".

The Z-Wave node information is stored in the Z-Wave interface itself, so you won't lose the configuration. I'd suggest you shutdown HS4, make a full backup of /usr/local/HomeSeer and move it to a PC for safe keeping, restart HS4, and then do the uninstall and re-install of the plugin.

Let's get input from randy and zwolfpack before you start, just to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

Comment

OK. That was a bad choice of words. Having to uninstall and re-install anything seems like more of a "make it go away" instead of "figure out what is wrong".

The Z-Wave node information is stored in the Z-Wave interface itself, so you won't lose the configuration. I'd suggest you shutdown HS4, make a full backup of /usr/local/HomeSeer and move it to a PC for safe keeping, restart HS4, and then do the uninstall and re-install of the plugin.

Let's get input from randy and zwolfpack before you start, just to make sure I'm not overlooking something.
                Ah, OK.

That lowers my anxiety significantly. I can make a backup easily with rsync.

MAYBE this will finally help reduce the memory leak I've been seeing in HSConsole. Maybe.

Jeremy

Comment

Originally posted by jzawodn View Post

Ah, OK.

That lowers my anxiety significantly. I can make a backup easily with rsync.

MAYBE this will finally help reduce the memory leak I've been seeing in HSConsole. Maybe.

Jeremy
                  If you are familiar with rsync then you should be fine with regular backups. Be aware that the SD cards in a Pi are known to fail due to wear-out. While there are high-durability SD cards, they are still no where near as good as an SSD. I boot from an SD card but /usr/local/HomeSeer and /var are both mounted from an SSD since that's the two areas that get the most writes from logging.

I was never able to find an SSD enclosure that would reliably boot from SSD.

Comment

If you are familiar with rsync then you should be fine with regular backups. Be aware that the SD cards in a Pi are known to fail due to wear-out. While there are high-durability SD cards, they are still no where near as good as an SSD. I boot from an SD card but /usr/local/HomeSeer and /var are both mounted from an SSD since that's the two areas that get the most writes from logging.

I was never able to find an SSD enclosure that would reliably boot from SSD.
                    Agreed.

I'm in the process of setting up HomeAssistant and did so on a pi4 and booting from SSD.

I've had the HomeSeer log file (which is actually sqlite) corrupt itself at least once on my existing HomeTroller. I suspect it knows that I'm aiming to retire it later this year once my transition to HA is complete.

Perhaps as a stopgap I should do an SSD setup for the HS config too. Hmm...

I'm REALLY not looking forward to migrating my 100+ devices from HS to HA but I've really lost a lot of faith in HS during the past year or so. Bad hardware, bad software, support that fails to address the specific concern I raised (with data), etc. Sigh.

Jeremy

Comment

Working...
                    X