HS4 PI Backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4 PI Backup

Is there any way to back up the HS4 PI tp my PC? If I set the location to say D:/Data/Homeseer it doesn't see the drive.

Originally posted by sndflea View Post
    Is there any way to back up the HS4 PI tp my PC? If I set the location to say D:/Data/Homeseer it doesn't see the drive.
    Drive letters don't mean anything to Linux.

You'll need to install Samba on your Pi and use that to mount a shared drive from your PC. You can then backup to the shared drive.
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

I am not familiar with Samba but will research it. Thank You

Comment

I have to ask: it's been a while since I ran the Pi-only version of HS4, but I assume this function is included: why can't you sign into your HS4 system on your Windows computer's web browser, run HS4's backup function, then save a copy of the backup on your PC? The save-the-backup procedure is not intuitive, but it's there.

Backup by clicking "BACKUP NOW".
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-05 15.03.45.png
Views:	249
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1550193

Then, click "LOCAL RESTORE":

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-05 15.07.34.png
Views:	233
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1550194

Do NOT click "UPLOAD BACKUP" or "EXECUTE". Put your mouse cursor in, and click the "Select Date" field.
        A calendar will pop up. Click today's date (or the date you performed the backup). In the screenshot below, you'd click June 5th.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-05 15.09.54.png
Views:	232
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1550195

Finally, click "Download" to save the backup file to your Windows PC.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-05 15.11.09.png
Views:	228
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1550196

Comment

I assumed the OP wanted to do regular backups to a PC vs. manual backup, but maybe not.
          "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

I was looking for a way to automatically back up to the PC but the process outlined works for me. Thank You

Comment

If you create a shared folder with full remote access on the Pi like /home/pi/share/ then a sub folder of homeseer and put all of the backups in there. You could then have a PC do a
              full backup of that shred directory and it will always be backed up.

I set up a directory so I could transfer files easily and it works great. Over all a bit of a PITA to have to do that but after everything is set up you don't really need to do much after that. I am still in the setup process with the pi.
              -Skybolt

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure that I know how to create the shared folder on the PI. My PI is at a remote location. Will be on sire in a few days and will give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
                X