Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Email sending

Hi there everyone,
    I have been running HomeSeer4 on a PI since insteon went down. Everything works great, accept I am getting random email notifications sent to me in the middle of the night about one of my devices. It is not always the same device, and only one email is ever sent in the night.
    I have attached a snipet of my log where the action takes place, to me (who's new to this) there seems to be no reason for it. Below is the description of what I have configured:

In the log I have posted, it is my pool heater that is in question this time, I am using the Insteon Hub, with a Insteon appliance module to control the heater. I have it set to turn off at 11pm, and upon device state change it emails me to let me know, sort of as confirmation, that it has turned off. This works just fine. However in the log at 1:56:40am the system decides the module has changed state and sends me an email, even though it is off, and was turned off at 11pm and sent me the email at that time. This happens with an Insteon light switch as well, but never the same night, only ever one device email per night, and not every night either. It's not really a huge deal, but I'd like to stop it if anyone has any ideas.

HS4 on a PI3
    Insteon Hub
    Everything but the hub is on a UPS. (ie. all network, routers, and PI)

I'm puzzled.

Can you post screenshot(s) of the event(s)? I think you might be triggering on the device being “set” rather than “changed”. If that is the case, you would get an email every time a command was sent to to the device even if it doesn’t change state.

There is likely some other event that ran at around 1:56AM that touched the pool heater appliance module.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks for responding!
      Attached it a screen shot of the event for turning the pool heater off, it's pretty basic, but maybe I'm using it wrong? There are no other events setup after 11pm, turning the pool heater off is the last scheduled event I have set up. Oddly, today at 5:59PM I received an email telling me the heater is ON, when it has been on since 9am. Again no other events run around the time. I attached the snippet of the log for that as well. This is the fisrt time I've gotten one not in the early morning hours. The plot thickens!

Comment

One thought. Make sure “Last Change Time Updates on Status Change Only” on the Pool Heater device is selected.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

OK, just looked, and although I don't fully understand what that does, it was already checked off. I haven't received any random emails today, at least to this point.

Comment

Hi there again, just wanted to let those following this thread that the problem has been resolved via the Insteon forum section. As it turns out I was mis-understanding the polling option in the settings, and as a result was flooding my insteon network with requests. Having returned all the polling to zero, thus greatly reducing network traffic, the random emails appear to have ceased happenning and everything is working great now.

Thank you for the assistance you provided, it was greatly appreciated.

Comment

Can someone tell me what this option "Last Change Time Updates on Status Change Only " means and what it does? It's incomprehensible if you just read it, not knowing what it really does. And what devices do I set it on for and which ones do I set it off for?

And regarding Polling.... which devices should I set Polling on for - and how oftern?

THANKS

Comment

Originally posted by markmgottlieb View Post
                Can someone tell me what this option "Last Change Time Updates on Status Change Only " means and what it does? It's incomprehensible if you just read it, not knowing what it really does. And what devices do I set it on for and which ones do I set it off for?

And regarding Polling.... which devices should I set Polling on for - and how oftern?

THANKS
                Well, I can't help with the first part of your question.But as for the polling as I have learned leave it at ZERO. Apparently if you have a device that is having a hard time communicating on your insteon network, turn polling on for that one device, but set it for about 10 minutes. If you aren't having any problems leave the polling at zero. That's where I went wrong, I set them all to 1, it was flooding my network causing all kind of issues, but mostly the reason for this topic in the first place... Random Emails.

If you jump over to this link, you will find more information on this, and the fact it has solved my problem, and I have found the response time to be a little better as well without all the additional traffic.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...ums-and-failed

Comment

Working...
                X