Learning about z-wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning about z-wave

New Pi owner here and have been adding z-wave devices. For the HVAC in my home, I have an ecobee that runs A/C and upstairs heat. Downstairs baseboard heat was on a simple t-stat. Bought a CT32 z-wave thermostat of ebay, new for $25. I dont have a C wire in that zone, so the battery operated CT32 looked like a solution.

I was trying to enroll and having issues. Would see the node, but then fail. Unit was only about 10' linear feet from the Pi, but across a hallway, 2 walls of sheetrock. Decided to unmount the CT32 and put directly under the Pi and it enrolled perfectly. Moving back to the original location after enrollment, has been working just fine.

I guess z-wave battery powered devices are pretty low power, not enough to reliably enroll a device. I suppose when the unit is finally enrolled, it can benefit from other neighbors to boost signal. There is a WX300 wall switch in that same room.

No, the problem is that you chose a really old Z-wave device that doesn't support the Z-wave NWI (network wide inclusion) specification. That's the danger of using old Z-wave devices, you won't get the latest and greatest feature set in terms of network operations.

Comment

Good to know, as I said, I am learning. When I saw Z-wave plus, thought that was the newest, but I see now NWI came later on still.

Comment

Almost all Z-wave plus devices should support NWI, but as you can see below, the CT32 is based on older Z-wave technology long before Z-wave plus came out., it's almost a decade old:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1046

Comment

Explains the $25 price tag, new
          I read they are dropping the app for the wifi version, so those users aren't happy.
          It does meet the need I have for a simple baseboard heat circuit, controlled by Homeseer.

Comment

Working...
          X