Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS-777 - How do we update plugins on HS4? (plugins need to be disabled)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS-777 - How do we update plugins on HS4? (plugins need to be disabled)

What am I missing? There must be a way to see what updates are available like in HS3, other than typing in the /interfaces address? Also, what is the best way to manually install a plugin? Is it still updater overide, and then load the \interfaces page to install? If so it is more cumbersome than HS3 was for the same thing since there does not seem to be a link anywhere to the /interfaces page.

I kind of tuned out for a while since HS Mobile is MIA, but I'd like to try to get HS4 running on my network reliably since it seems to be moving forward. Seems like a lot to like, and a lot to learn, and hopefully some constructive feedback to give.

Thanks to the entire HS team for undertaking this massive rewrite--especially in such a short time (for a project of this size and complexity), and with your limited resources (compared to the Apples, Facebooks, Googles, and Microsofts of the world.) I see a lot of griping on the board, and I'm not sure most people understand the magnitude of this project, and how much work it is. Keep it up, and realize there are lots of us out here that appreciate the work, and the final output.

Though I still do think a bug/feature/release tracker dashboard would go a long way to appeasing most of the griping I read on this board. Something to consider.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Unfortunately, for now I open two web pages on my desktop. I have to manually look at each PI to determine if an update is available. Only a couple of the HS4 versions will actually show an "update" icon. However, you usually have to disable the PI prior to upgrading, then enable again. Opening two pages, one for the PIs installed and one for the PIs available seems to make it a bit easier for me.

It's painful but I'm sure the process will be refined since it can't stay the way it is.

What makes me wonder is why do things like this struggle to work properly yet the legacy versions of the pages seem to work just fine.

Comment

from what i saw... cant get this to go but it says there is an update...

plugins> installed

see cloud with arrow...
      hover and says upgrade

Attached Files
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
        Unfortunately, for now I open two web pages on my desktop. I have to manually look at each PI to determine if an update is available. Only a couple of the HS4 versions will actually show an "update" icon. However, you usually have to disable the PI prior to upgrading, then enable again. Opening two pages, one for the PIs installed and one for the PIs available seems to make it a bit easier for me.

It's painful but I'm sure the process will be refined since it can't stay the way it is.

What makes me wonder is why do things like this struggle to work properly yet the legacy versions of the pages seem to work just fine.
        rjh
        Can you disable the PI by default when updating and enabling when installed.

That will make life a lot easier.

Thnx,
        ---
        John

Comment

I am not the author of the OP, I just understand and agree with the OP.

Notice that you have to go to the Installed page which shows the rev number. If the upgrade cloud shows, you really need to disable the pi, then click the cloud, then enable. All good.

However if the upgrade cloud doesn't show which happens more often than not, you have to disable the pi, go to the add page, click on the pi in question to check the rev number then click install. Maybe if the rev number were shown on the PI page without having to click on the PI. If the rev number is not newer you have to go back to the installed page to check another PI if you want.

Comment

Notice that you have to go to the Installed page which shows the rev number. If the upgrade cloud shows, you really need to disable the pi, then click the cloud, then enable. All good.

However if the upgrade cloud doesn't show which happens more often than not, you have to disable the pi, go to the add page, click on the pi in question to check the rev number then click install. Maybe if the rev number were shown on the PI page without having to click on the PI. If the rev number is not newer you have to go back to the installed page to check another PI if you want.
            wow.. there needs to be a note somewhere...

i havent been able to update the x10 plugin... I did as you said. disabled, then updated and it finally went! thx...
            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I am old and crotchety. At least I aspire to be. When the HS3 manage plugins page "/interfaces" was introduced for HS3 I hated it. It was clunky, and did not really work well. At first. Now, after having used it for years, I find it very useful to quickly see what plugins need updating, and decide if I want to do so or not--for all plugins. It is a nice efficient way to manage a bunch of plugins. Though in HS3 I always disable, update, re-enable. I do wish that was automatic. Now in HS4 I like the Tiles. I just need to see the installed version and available version at a glance without clicking anything. Also it would be useful to have something unique about the tile to draw my attention to the fact that an upgrade is available. And like on the "/interfaces" page I would like to be able to select all the plugins that need updating and hit update once.

I had thought I was missing something, but now it is sounding like this is just not finished yet. Hopefully this feedback helps.

Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue

Comment

jlrichar I did like the previous plugin page A LOT more. I have quite a few plugins and they are all listed in a nice table including current version, available version, etc. To update plugins, I just click on the checkbox and hit the update button. If I want to enable/disable a plugin I just click on the very obvious button to do so. All of this is done in a very space efficient way. All my plugins only took up half of the screen but now I need to scroll!!! So they take up more than twice the space and navigation is more cumbersome... That's making things worse rather than better.

Comment

We are trying to make things easier to use and version #'s are just geeky. Do you see version #'s in the Apple App store or Google Play? Did you ever care what the version was there? I never cared or looked for a version. You just wanted to know if an update was available.

Maybe we can add an option to display the version # on the tile? Why do you need it?

As to the issue mentioned here, you should not have to disable a plugin to update it and since this is a new post I assume its on 4.0.5.0. That version had some fixes for this.

I have logged this as issue HS-777 so we can investigate.

Was there another issue noted here? Was the cloud icon not always showing when an update was available?
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

rjh
                    We are trying to make things easier to use and version #'s are just geeky.
                    As are we.

The reason for liking the version # on the tile goes along with not being able to see the ver# you have vs. what's available on the same page.

I would say most of the time, if not all, you have to disable a plugin in order to upgrade it. That's whether the cloud icon shows as an official upgrade or if it doesn't show as a beta.

I do understand that betas don't normally show as upgrades in HS3, but then again they've got their own section and in HS4 they're mixed in. In fact, looking at the SolarEdge PI as an example, it's shown twice, once as the release version, one as the beta version. They both have check marks to show they're installed, but which one do I have. YES, the ver # should be on the tile page IMO.

Lastly, I have seen the cloud icon not show, but that could be because it was a beta update. Then again, isn't everything with HS4 beta at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                      We are trying to make things easier to use and version #'s are just geeky. Do you see version #'s in the Apple App store or Google Play? Did you ever care what the version was there? I never cared or looked for a version. You just wanted to know if an update was available.

Maybe we can add an option to display the version # on the tile? Why do you need it?

As to the issue mentioned here, you should not have to disable a plugin to update it and since this is a new post I assume its on 4.0.5.0. That version had some fixes for this.

Was there another issue noted here? Was the cloud icon not always showing when an update was available?
                      I agree about the version number but it would be nice to get notified of updates available.
                      I just went through all of my plugin, after the "installed" page didn't show any updates available, and found three updates.
                      Again, don't care about version but it would've been nice to know there were updates.
                      And maybe we shouldn't have to disable to update but the fact, we do have to or the install just hangs then causes a reboot of my system.

Comment

... version #'s are just geeky. Do you see version #'s in the Apple App store or Google Play?
                        Yes, version numbers are visible in Apple App Store. Need to punch down but they are there.

"Beta" releases are geeky too. As long as multiple versions are offered there should be something to indicate which one is installed.

Comment

Yes this is on Beta 4.0.5.0. The problem is that updates were available for the Phillips Hue HS4 plugin, but not showing anywhere. It was many clicks to see that it was not correct, and many more to update. I would like to continue to see both installed and available version numbers. I would also like to see the tile highlighted in some way either by color change or icon that an update is available. One is “geeky” and the other not. They each have their uses. For example if I raise an issue about a problem with a plugin in the forum and it gets fixed in a specific version, I would like to know I can get that version or later. I prefer this to be glanceable rather than buried.

FYI. Most of your competitors and benchmark products are moving to completely automated updates. No user intervention at all. I am not sure I am there yet except with a few plugin authors. If you went that far it should be a toggle that both the author and end user could disable for plugins or specific builds. As an example a plugin author creates a new version that breaks devices or events from previous version. That should not be automatically installed and the author should disable auto updates for that version.

Thanks for looking into this suggestion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

rjh I am not sure if your response was regarding my post. In any case, my main point is that I don't like the tiles. They take up WAY too much space and you don't get a quick overview as each plugin is in it's own, well tile... Tables are so much more efficient even on a mobile device. I get it that tables look old-fashioned but at least give us the option to switch to tables as you do with devices. As for version number, I really don't care that much for an app like Instagram, etc. Who cares. But for something that is controlling my home I actually would like to know the version and a document where I can see the changes from one version to another. Having said that, if you want to get rid of it I can/must live with it. Just give us the table view...

Comment

rjh <snip>
                              I do understand that betas don't normally show as upgrades in HS3, but then again they've got their own section and in HS4 they're mixed in. <snip>
                              Ah, that is actually an area where some improvement would be in order. Betas are kind of 'hard' to get to. It would be nice if betas are also shown. For instance the MyQ plugin just had some issues because MyQ changed the unofficial interface (BAD MyQ ). It would have been nice to see the beta as an upgrade option. BlueIris actually just started something similar. They give you the option to not install updates, install the latest 'stable' update, the newest update and I think also a beta. Maybe that's too many options but my point is that seeing betas on the plugin page would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X