Device Sorting By Room, Floor , Category

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Rich.
    Using a space gave an okay aesthetic look and no longer has the floor listed for my OCD. 😉
    It's clunky but it works for what I wanted (or didn't want) to see.

Now if HS would only hold the "Sort By Room" every time I load the page.
    Dan-O
    HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

For future reference, HS4 will not 'see' devices with no floor when you go to create an event.
      The drop down box for device actions is blank in the event.
      Dan-O
      HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Older thread, but being a legacy X10 user, would be nice to be able to sort (not filter) on the X10 address column. ( don't see a column label in the html device list view, but the X10 module address are there). I just fired up HS4 so if this is already possible, my apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
          Please explain exactly what you are looking for. There are 2 views, grid and list. In grid view the children are grouped with the device, so not filtering needs to be done there. The devices are listed in in alpha order. This is the my main view, its simple and makes sense. I normally pick a room and then I can easily find things.

I suspect some of you have hundreds of devices (I do not), so you are probably looking at the list view. The list view is also alpha sorted on the name of the root device and the children are grouped with the root, which is the same as HS3. In HS4 we are moving to the root device being used as identifier for the device. It sounds like you want some sorting on the room and floor also, rather than just the name?
          Jumping on this old thread after having to update to HS4 in a second home due to the INSTEON debacle. (And yes I have hundreds of devices as do many of us). Odd comment from someone at HS to not use the product more. It's important to understand the users and our use cases.

That said, the Web UI and most definitely the Mobil UI still needs a lot of work.

1. Devices Sorting
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-10 070215.jpg Views:	80 Size:	6.9 KB ID:	1551329
          Ideally this would be more flexible with First / Second options. Such as Location --> Type or Location --> Name. Having a single list of predefined sort options with no combinations is very limiting.

2. Device GROUPING

Additionally to the ability to have more complex sorts applied, the ability to group devices based on the above would be ideal. Such that scrolling the List or the Grid displays would group the devices into the correct grouping as selected.

Group By: Location
          Sort By: Name or Type

3. For Filters
          With the latest combination you're pretty good at filtering out multiple combinations, etc. The only thing that is cumbersome is checking One filter option. Waiting for the system to update. Then adding the other. Sometimes a more elegant filter setting that would stay might be preferable. And Filters should be applied ahead of the sorting so that the resultant sort is applied.

For an examples of an elegant grouping on a mobile display that could be translated to the Web UI in terms of sorting / grouping (And certainly the mobile UI with swiping left/right ability to span the groups). The usability, responsiveness on iOS, and ease of configuration of such a simple display is one of the pieces sorely needed in HS.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9566.png Views:	76 Size:	123.0 KB ID:	1551330Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9567.png Views:	75 Size:	119.7 KB ID:	1551332Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9569.png Views:	75 Size:	129.8 KB ID:	1551333
          Attached Files

Comment

Some of this can be done, unless I misunderstand. If you select the "Room" button, you get all the devices in that room. Then you can select "Sort Asc" which will sort them in order by name. That gives you the double filtering you mentioned.

Originally posted by LeeIII View Post

Jumping on this old thread after having to update to HS4 in a second home due to the INSTEON debacle. (And yes I have hundreds of devices as do many of us). Odd comment from someone at HS to not use the product more. It's important to understand the users and our use cases.

That said, the Web UI and most definitely the Mobil UI still needs a lot of work.

1. Devices Sorting
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-10 070215.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	1551329
            Ideally this would be more flexible with First / Second options. Such as Location --> Type or Location --> Name. Having a single list of predefined sort options with no combinations is very limiting.
            2. Device GROUPING

Additionally to the ability to have more complex sorts applied, the ability to group devices based on the above would be ideal. Such that scrolling the List or the Grid displays would group the devices into the correct grouping as selected.

Group By: Location
            Sort By: Name or Type

3. For Filters
            With the latest combination you're pretty good at filtering out multiple combinations, etc. The only thing that is cumbersome is checking One filter option. Waiting for the system to update. Then adding the other. Sometimes a more elegant filter setting that would stay might be preferable. And Filters should be applied ahead of the sorting so that the resultant sort is applied.

For an examples of an elegant grouping on a mobile display that could be translated to the Web UI in terms of sorting / grouping (And certainly the mobile UI with swiping left/right ability to span the groups). The usability, responsiveness on iOS, and ease of configuration of such a simple display is one of the pieces sorely needed in HS.

Name:	IMG_9566.png
Views:	137
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1551330Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9567.png
Views:	134
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1551332Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9569.png
Views:	134
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1551333
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Some of this can be done, unless I misunderstand. If you select the "Room" button, you get all the devices in that room. Then you can select "Sort Asc" which will sort them in order by name. That gives you the double filtering you mentioned.

Thanks for responding. However, I don't believe that the detail I provided was understood. There s a big difference between sorting, grouping and filtering. I distinguished my feedback into these categories for that reason.

1) Sorting: Expanded sorting functions with the ability to make 2-3 sort selections together would be very helpful to setup a consistent sort order that persists beyond whatever filters (if any are appleid). Think of MS Outlook, Excel or any other data application where you want to sort information in 2-3 levels for a particular reason. Hence my sugestion on Sorting was explained. Do not confuse that with the need to filter.

2) Grouping: As with the above - most modern data applications have embraced the concept of grouping. Being able to group by, Floor, Room, etc. (similar to sorting) but with distinct separations and bands between groups, would be a tremendous improvement in the Grid display.

3) Filtering: Lastly, my feedback on filtering was that it was pretty good. The only feedback I offered there was that the system churns after choosing one filter and then you have to wait before you can select another filter. (because each of the filter butons is basically a separate filter vs. a set it seems). Also feel that is minor. especially if you could address the above 1-2 - filtering would be less important in general.

I'm happy to clarify if my suggestions did not make sense. And with all due respect, I don't think I submitted all that information needing a terse response that I could accomplish most of what I suggested it in the UI, when clearly you cannot.

I also offered this feedback this with a lot of loyalty and desire for Homeseer to be successful. And, given the latest Insteon debacle, I feel it has generated both opportunity and threat to HS as many consumers including myself are re-evaluating our choices and taking a hard look at options. Over the past few weeks, I have learned a lot about the systems I've long since ignored. Learning more about the nice features of some of the larger companies and niche players, has shown me that there is a lot of good things in HS, but that there needs to be a serious reconsideration of the GUI both web and mobile.

Example is a comparison I was reading online - that seems to corroborate what I said regarding the GUI.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-13 102805.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1551882

Comment

Sorry, it was not meant to be a "terse" response, I was just trying to solve one of your concerns.

I understand a little better what you are looking for and I will create a development issue to look into this.

It would not be difficult to add what you are looking for though.

Originally posted by LeeIII View Post

Thanks for responding. However, I don't believe that the detail I provided was understood. There s a big difference between sorting, grouping and filtering. I distinguished my feedback into these categories for that reason.

1) Sorting: Expanded sorting functions with the ability to make 2-3 sort selections together would be very helpful to setup a consistent sort order that persists beyond whatever filters (if any are appleid). Think of MS Outlook, Excel or any other data application where you want to sort information in 2-3 levels for a particular reason. Hence my sugestion on Sorting was explained. Do not confuse that with the need to filter.

2) Grouping: As with the above - most modern data applications have embraced the concept of grouping. Being able to group by, Floor, Room, etc. (similar to sorting) but with distinct separations and bands between groups, would be a tremendous improvement in the Grid display.

3) Filtering: Lastly, my feedback on filtering was that it was pretty good. The only feedback I offered there was that the system churns after choosing one filter and then you have to wait before you can select another filter. (because each of the filter butons is basically a separate filter vs. a set it seems). Also feel that is minor. especially if you could address the above 1-2 - filtering would be less important in general.

I'm happy to clarify if my suggestions did not make sense. And with all due respect, I don't think I submitted all that information needing a terse response that I could accomplish most of what I suggested it in the UI, when clearly you cannot.

I also offered this feedback this with a lot of loyalty and desire for Homeseer to be successful. And, given the latest Insteon debacle, I feel it has generated both opportunity and threat to HS as many consumers including myself are re-evaluating our choices and taking a hard look at options. Over the past few weeks, I have learned a lot about the systems I've long since ignored. Learning more about the nice features of some of the larger companies and niche players, has shown me that there is a lot of good things in HS, but that there needs to be a serious reconsideration of the GUI both web and mobile.

Example is a comparison I was reading online - that seems to corroborate what I said regarding the GUI.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-13 102805.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1551882

Comment

Sorry, it was not meant to be a "terse" response, I was just trying to solve one of your concerns.

I understand a little better what you are looking for and I will create a development issue to look into this.

rjh
                  Please also have a look at this thread. Although it is solve by jon00 I like a native solution in case you are improving grouping / sorting an filtering capabilities.

---
                  John

Comment

I just have to say that the new GUI comment is subjective. To me and the many comments we have received, it is WAY better than HS3. Most of the complaints with HS4 are from long time HS3 users who could care less about mobile and are more "power" users. I admit, we left out some flexibility. But with HS3 we just received so many complaints from new users that said it was too complicated, it was, and mobile was pretty much unusable.

Comment

Can you post the thread link?

Originally posted by John245 View Post

rjh
                      Please also have a look at this thread. Although it is solve by jon00 I like a native solution in case you are improving grouping / sorting an filtering capabilities.

---
                      John

Comment

Can you post the thread link?

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ould-it-behave

---
                        John

Comment

Working...
                        X