Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best method to move from HS3 Windows to HS4 Linux?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Best method to move from HS3 Windows to HS4 Linux?

    I want to migrate my Windows HS3 install to HS4 on Linux. I don't want to kill my HS3 install right away, I'd prefer not to run the uninstall to get a directory structure I could move to Linux so I can start HS4 to import the HS3 install. Is there a set of files that I can copy over to the new Linux box that are required to do a good import/upgrade?

    I've searched for a while today but can't find anything about how to do this type of migration.

    #2
    Migrate? Meaning you have linux all up with all dependencies already?
    If not, do that first.

    Install HS4 in the directory of your choice, most use /usr/local/ or /opt/, Then take your HS3 install and copy the /config, /data, /html and /scripts folders into the HS4 install. Copy any plugins from the HS3 install to the HS4 install. They will be in the Homeseer root folder.
    Done.

    Comment


      #3
      Be careful with the case of folder names and files in general. Windows does not care, but Linux does. You will typically see these issues reported in a HS log.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Demusman View Post
        Migrate? Meaning you have linux all up with all dependencies already?
        If not, do that first.

        Install HS4 in the directory of your choice, most use /usr/local/ or /opt/, Then take your HS3 install and copy the /config, /data, /html and /scripts folders into the HS4 install. Copy any plugins from the HS3 install to the HS4 install. They will be in the Homeseer root folder.
        Done.
        Yeah I did that. I decided maybe a clean install would be best, but then ran into an issue with Mono. I use MeiUniFi and Mono 6.0 and newer breaks HttpConnect, so it was a no go. I just cloned my VM, then upgraded to HS4 on the Windows box. Worked pretty well. Thanks for the suggestions.

        Comment


          #5
          I tried that and got a host of errors, surely there is a cleaner way to upgrade HS3 ?

          Jul 3 10:56:24 raspberrypi mono[1057]: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type of field 'HSPI_ZWave.clsZWaveProductIS:col' (0) due to: Could not load file or assembly 'ZWave_Company, Version=3.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

          Jul 3 10:56:24 raspberrypi mono[1057]: [ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type of field 'HSPI_ZWave.clsZWaveProductIS:col' (0) due to: Could not load file or assembly 'ZWave_Company, Version=3.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

          Jul 3 10:57:27 raspberrypi mono[1057]: 10:57:27:5461:[Warning]->Unable to connect to MyHS service, license ID is 0. Please register the system with a valid license.

          Comment


            #6
            Hmm, is that really supported moving from Windows to Linux? Maybe that has nothing to do with the HS3 to HS4 upgrade. Linux is case sensitive while Windows is not. Also the end of line is different on Windows and Linux. If everything is programmed properly that shouldn't be an issue but that's a tall order. I have a feeling you might spend more time resolving issues than doing a clean install and start over. I might be wrong but moving a system from one OS to another usually isn't trivial...

            Comment


              #7
              I’ve done it. Most plugin dev respect linux case sensitive option.

              this can cause issues, but they are rapid to solve. Not a deal breaker at all.

              Comment


                #8
                The method I used 2-2.5 years ago was to do a backup from the setup tab on windows. And an event backup from the setup/Labs —>import events

                Install a clean linux hs3/4 . And import back everything.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I plan to try this migration myself possibly tomorrow. I'm currently running on windows 10 with newest HS4 the New box is running newest Ubuntu server 20.x. What version of mono should be installed? Also any other dependencies?
                  Thanks
                  Mike

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by themlruts View Post
                    I plan to try this migration myself possibly tomorrow. I'm currently running on windows 10 with newest HS4 the New box is running newest Ubuntu server 20.x. What version of mono should be installed? Also any other dependencies?
                    Thanks
                    Mike
                    Mike -

                    How did your migration go? Any lessons learned or tips you can share? I'm running HS3(windows) on a 1u rack mounted Atom D525 "server" and am planning on migrating to HS4 on Linux. Since I am already running HS4 on a Pi at a cabin, I feel comfortable enough at this point with possibly blowing away my windows install on the Atom D525 and replacing it with a Linux install with HS4 on the very same box.

                    Would love to hear how your migration went.

                    Ed

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I would also like to know how things went and what steps you went through. I have HS4 on a Lenovo M92P I5 and it hangs up every so often running Win 10 Pro so swapping it to Linux wold be better.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Edvins View Post

                        Mike -

                        How did your migration go? Any lessons learned or tips you can share? I'm running HS3(windows) on a 1u rack mounted Atom D525 "server" and am planning on migrating to HS4 on Linux. Since I am already running HS4 on a Pi at a cabin, I feel comfortable enough at this point with possibly blowing away my windows install on the Atom D525 and replacing it with a Linux install with HS4 on the very same box.

                        Would love to hear how your migration went.

                        Ed

                        I ended up not doing the migration. I just spun up a new Linux machine and slowly moved (paired) each device to the Linux box. Seems to be working well.


                        Comment


                          #13
                          Can I just throw into the conversation that people consider using the (unofficial) docker images for HS4? Saves you worrying about "what version of mono" and all those other headaches.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Yes!

                            A docker image would be the way to easily standardise HS4 on linux.

                            A base product with all the mono package necesary (not less not more ), avahi-daemon , aha, etc on an alpine based os . They can even fork mono when they want ...and and adapt this to hs4 product.


                            A way to choose the data location on the pc would be recommended.


                            That would remove a lot of work to hst in the long term.


                            ——

                            I think there is an option to embed mono into homeseer directly too.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
                              Yes!

                              A docker image would be the way to easily standardise HS4 on linux.

                              A base product with all the mono package necesary (not less not more ), avahi-daemon , aha, etc on an alpine based os . They can even fork mono when they want ...and and adapt this to hs4 product.


                              A way to choose the data location on the pc would be recommended.


                              That would remove a lot of work to hst in the long term.


                              ——

                              I think there is an option to embed mono into homeseer directly too.
                              https://github.com/scyto/docker-homeseer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X