No announcement yet.

HS4 Beta 4.2.0.5 is available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any error in the log? Does it just stay on the page? It should display a dialog? Tried it on my home system and seems to work ok with the Brave browser.

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
    Does the Add Category button work for anyone? It doesn't work for me on any of my PC browsers. It does work on my Cell using FF but ONLY if there is an existing category.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-09-11_15-01-19.png
Views:	330
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1495190
    πŸ’‍♂️ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹‍♂️ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have never run HS as a service on Linux. What directory is HS installed in? How is it installed as a service? The script I run simply untars the tar file to the current folder. Maybe since its running as a service the script is stuck waiting for HS to shut down? Why run it as a service? We start it from /etc/rc.local which has always worked fine.

If someone wants to modfiy the update script so it works when HS is running as a service (or not) I would be happy to include it.

Originally posted by John245 View Post

rjh
      Hi Rich I found the root cause for my system (during extensive testing 0n 4.2.0.0). Although I have no idea to fix.

I repeated the steps in this post

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...01#post1491401

also on 4.2.0.5 with identical results.

So the behavior of situation 1 and 2 differs

1. Upgrade after starting HomeSeer usig ./go PASS
      2. Upgrade after starting Homeseer as a service FAIL

By the way In case of situation 1 when I do a reinstall of HomeSeer after the first successful upgrade it will alos fail. So my hypothesis is that during the upgrade process the instance is rebooted. In case you can confirm this we will know the root cause for sure.

---
      John
      πŸ’‍♂️ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹‍♂️ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by stefxx View Post
        Yes that works. But it does restart your computer.... Which is not needed nor what I want. So I keep doing it the "old" way.
        A restart is required for Windows. On Linux it's not required, but its a good idea just to make sure all plugins get shut down. The original purpose was to restart our controllers. If this is a big issue (maybe you are running Linux server and you don't want to restart it), I can add a Labs setting that would not do the restart.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post

A restart is required for Windows. On Linux it's not required, but its a good idea just to make sure all plugins get shut down. The original purpose was to restart our controllers. If this is a big issue (maybe you are running Linux server and you don't want to restart it), I can add a Labs setting that would not do the restart.
          I think a warning that it will restart your computer would be a good idea, it was a bit of a shock😬

Some users may have other stuff running that they want to take care of before a forced restart.

Steve

Comment

Here is the warning that is displayed, I can change it if needed. Note that if you were on 4.1.18.0 or earlier it might not display this same text. This text was changed in 4.2.0.0.

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post

Without any warning! I thought Microsoft was bad

Steve
            Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like you Linux users (non HomeTroller) really don't want to restart your system. By default I won't restart if I am not running on a HomeTroller. I will add a Labs setting so you can force a restart if needed. I am sure there will be some that would prefer a restart. I think on an RPI a restart is better as it might free up some memory.

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
              The event warning is a terrific addition, well done rjh

I clicked install beta from the setup menu and it actually installed this time! However, it also rebooted my Ubuntu OS. Since I'm not currently running it as a service this is a problem as Homeseer doesn't restart after the OS reboots. Wouldn't it be better on Linux to just restart Homeseer? I mean I get it on Windows, the more reboots the merrier.

https://dilbert.com/strip/1999-08-04

Comment

Here is the warning that is displayed, I can change it if needed. Note that if you were on 4.1.18.0 or earlier it might not display this same text. This text was changed in 4.2.0.0.
                Full apologies, I probably didn’t read to the end of the message because I was well aware it was beta and had already backed up Homeseer intensively. Presumably when no longer beta the restart message will stand out more for those like me who are optically challenged πŸ˜‚

Comment

Logged this to be fixed.

Originally posted by John245 View Post
                  rjh I like the new manage plug ins page. However not all the info will fit on the screen (see highlighted part).

HS4.2.0.5 on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and Chrome latest.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture manage plugins.PNG
Views:	326
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1495115
                  ---
                  John

Comment

I agree with the confusion with the logging setting. My concern is confusion with existing users if I change it, but the change would be for the better, especially for new users.

With respect to the naming is it not more logical to change in the device feature "Do Not Log" into "Logging" ? And in the bulk edit it could be "Enable Logging" & "Disable Logging" instead of "Enable Do Not Log" and "Disable Do Not Log"

Click image for larger version Name:	Capture 11SEP.PNG Views:	0 Size:	26.4 KB ID:	1495075

----
                    John

Comment

If you go into the device properties, features tab, are the features listed there? I suspect there is an issue with the device order, which is something that ware recently worked on. Can you email me your devices.json file and tell me which device is missing features? I can then recreate and fix pretty quickly.
                      I will reinstall 4.2.0.5 and recreate tomorrow.
                      As an aside, this is on my development pc which is why the forced windows reboot on HS upgrade was undesirableπŸ˜€
                      Thanks for all your hard work and attention which is much appreciated. It’s all to easy to come over as critical in messages when it isn’t intended.
                      Steve

Comment

Do you know if this is a new issue with 4.2.0.5? Was is ok with 4.2? I will test this and put in a fix, I know it worked in 4.1.18.0.

It was reported to me that it was not working in 4.2 but I only tested in 4.2.0.5

One example: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...19#post1491819

I've given you some code to try in our PM.
                        Jon

Comment

Any error in the log? Does it just stay on the page? It should display a dialog? Tried it on my home system and seems to work ok with the Brave browser.

1) No entries logged.
                          2) Stays on page, nothing happens (you can see the button get "clicked")
                          3) No dialog. I have the same exact problem with logging out of HS4. I "Click" on the "User:..." area and nothing happens ( again you can see the button get "clicked")
                          4) I downloaded Brave and the results are the same.

I believe it has something to do with my 4K Monitors and HS4 (Didn't have this problem with HS3) (I have tried changing scaling, with no change) . (NVIDIA Card), as it doesn't seem possible that every browser could be effected.
                          RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post

rjh Rich this is a biggy I can confirm it with an HS4 plugin I am currently developing.
                            After upgrading to 4.2.0.5 when creating HS4 new devices some of the Features and controls are missing in list and tile view.
                            Seems random to me but might be in order that stefxx reports above. In my case different features are missing from identical devices.
                            Switch to HS3 /deviceutility page and they are all there.
                            Downgrade back to 4.2.0.0 and all Features are created correctly.

Steve
                            If you go into the device properties, features tab, are the features listed there? I suspect there is an issue with the device order, which is something that ware recently worked on. Can you email me your devices.json file and tell me which device is missing features? I can then recreate and fix pretty quickly.
                            rjh I've sent you a PM with all the information.

Steve

Comment

I have never run HS as a service on Linux. What directory is HS installed in? How is it installed as a service? The script I run simply untars the tar file to the current folder. Maybe since its running as a service the script is stuck waiting for HS to shut down? Why run it as a service? We start it from /etc/rc.local which has always worked fine.

If someone wants to modfiy the update script so it works when HS is running as a service (or not) I would be happy to include it.

rjh A great thank you to zwolfpack who fixed the issue, see https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...23#post1495523

If you want to include the functionality, this could be a good starting point.

---
                              John

Comment

rjh Unless I misunderstand the question, the feature is missing both on the devices page (in list view) or feature property page
                                edit: email with devices.json file sent

Comment

Working...
                                X