iphone connecting to router triggers an event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iphone connecting to router triggers an event

What...if any ...plugin can trigger an event when my iPhone joins my home network. I have a geofence set up, but it's flaky I think primarily due to weak cell service in my area. As an additional trigger I was thinking to extend my coverage area for home wireless a bit (if needed) and have that as a secondary method to trigger "coming home" type events when my iPhone connected. If it was fast and seamless it might even be more dependable than the geofence experience. Geofence only works about 80% of the time and I don't particularly like the fact that if I stop and pick up my mail a couple blocks away my house unlocks while I'm not yet there. Presence sensing between my iPhone and my home wireless router (if quick) would also reduce that physical distance. By quick I mean less than 1- 15 seconds. Just one example for that speed need would be the garage that never opened too early, but was always up by the time the car got there.

As a side comment, to me home automations biggest value add is anytime your house can react to its occupants without intervention and do so dependably as well as seamlessly. Maybe I'm alone in that, but IMHO the company that perfects that interaction (presence sensing) will truly dominate the market and make a TON...repeat...TON of money. I don't understand why there isn't more focus on it in the industry. Why there are extremely few car radios for instance (maybe BMW new ones I heard) or cars that don't have z-wave buttons that work only when the key is on (so someone can't break into your parked car an push the remote button and unlock your house) simply amazes me in 2019. Didn't Homeseer start nearly 2 decades ago? Don't get me wrong Homeseer is the best thing out there....period. This is external connectivity to it.

Any suggestions?...THANKS!

Tom
    Current Date/Time: 6/5/2019 2:07:53 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.531
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
    System Uptime: 10 Days 23 Hours 16 Minutes 12 Seconds
    Number of Devices: 435
    Number of Events: 179
    Available Threads: 800
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 8
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0
    Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.59.0: BLBackup
    2.0.6.0: BLMarantz
    3.0.0.65: EasyTrigger
    3.9.610.5: HSBuddy
    3.1.0.17: MeiHarmonyHub
    3.0.0.33: Nest
    3.0.1.109: PHLocation
    1.0.0.7: Restart
    3.0.11.13: weatherXML
    3.0.1.261: Z-Wave

This old post has many options:
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...gger-home-away
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Jon00 Bluetooth can do this. (It can use wifi too.)
      I find that is is good for detecting quickly that someone has come home, but not as great for detecting that they have left, since the iPhone just stops responding to the wifi pings after a while. I use PHLocation to determine when someone has left.

Comment

I use PHLocation together with Geofency on my iphone together with Radius Beacon for short distance detection (room to room) and Feasycom for around home detection (100 feet)

This combination gave me te best results yet

Comment

Originally posted by ts1234 View Post
          Geofence only works about 80% of the time and I don't particularly like the fact that if I stop and pick up my mail a couple blocks away my house unlocks while I'm not yet there.
          There is one company I know of which perfected just that with this device : http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/da...TAIL_PART1.pdf The only problem is your location. It's a 868.3Mhz .

For WiFi, nothing beats UniFi with their mesh APs and of which some can even be installed outdoors! With MeiUnifi plugin I have seen a 1 min + a few secs connection time and you can't get it any lower than that.

Eman.

The People's Advocate.

Comment

OK...thx to all...

So this one really caught my eye. I tried the Rad ibeacons back when I was still on SmartThings a couple years ago. Could you give me a little more detail on how you integrate it with Homeseer? Some of there newer
            Feasycom
            products show 100m & 500m range BT ver 5. Not sure how well they'd work with an iPhone X BT version, but if they do that could be absolutely awesome. While the app for Rad iBeacons I think was the real issue the idea was perfect for me. I had beacon in the usb charger in a car that parks in the garage and one that parks on the street. If I was "near" one of them when other triggers fired and I came home it even knew whether to open the garage vs. just unlock the front door. Outside on the wall of the garage I had a more powerful unit in a case and one standard usb based one just inside the front door that should have worked for triggering when I approached as well, but usually didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by goldriver View Post
              Radius Beacon for short distance detection (room to room)
              Could you share details on how you accomplished this. Was looking for something like this.

Comment

Here is my usage of beacons.

First I am using the USB radbeacon plugged in a iphone charghing bloc for in house usage, I found that these power supply bloc were the most stable to date. here is my Radbeacon setup:
                I have one in each of our cars plugged in a ignition powered USB, one in the middle of my detached garage, in my office, in my bedroom, in the kitchen in the TV room and one ine outside Veranda.

I also have 2 Feasycom, one right the entry door that catchs any member of the family in a 50-100 perimeter ans another one in the community mailbox that cathes any member of the family grabbing the mail.

I am using Geofenvy on my iphone to catch all the beacon, Geofency then send a notification to homeseer (PHLocation) anytime any of the iphone of the family catches an ibeacon.

I am mostly using then as a presence detector together with movement detector to turn on/off the light and keep then on if someone is present in a room. That works quite well but you have to calibrate them very precisely and place them to specific places to make sur it cathes most of your presence in a room.

For house perimeter detection I use a 3 way detection, Geofency geolocalisation with a 100m perimeter, Iphone Location and Feasybeacon. When all three sees I am away, only then my house falls to sleep, coming home, if either Feasybeacon of Geofency detects I am near home the homne wakes up.

To unlock the doors or open garage doors, I am not only relying on those but also the movement detector in the driveway so the logic is: If geofency detect my iphone is in the car via the Radbeacon AND Geofency detects I am in a 100m radius AND Feasybeacon detects I am in the house perimeter, only then the front door unlock, it open the garage door and if at night turns on the light.

As mentionned by ts1234, beacon are not 100% reliable but in my environnement, the devices I am using and my setup, I say that at least 95% of the time they respond perfectly

Comment

If your wifi hub is not near the front door, it can often fail to unlock by the time you reach the door. I tried with wifi connected, wifi near, Bluetooth near, Ultimately I installed the AutoLocation app on my android phone and set up three geofences: home (driveway), neighborhood, town. It’s been flawless; it unlocks either as I’m in my driveway, or walking up to the door.

I hope this solve your problem.
                  Lewis

Comment

Working...
                  X