Off topic...splitting a POE run on a ubiquiti network setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off topic...splitting a POE run on a ubiquiti network setup

I have a POE run (via ubiquiti USW-16) to an Amcrest camera on the side of my house. I'd like to add an AC-Mesh-AP there to extend coverage into my yard.

Looks like I could use either a Nanoswitch or a Flex to split the POE run - clearly the Nano is cheaper, but also unmanaged.

Pardon if this is a dumb question, but since my camera is on a vlan, wouldn't that mean that if I use the Nano the AC Mesh AP would have to be on that vlan?

The flex would solve for this, but is more (and more costly) than I need.

Is there a solution i'm not thinking of (or a problem here)?

thanks.

What do you mean by split the PoE run?

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
      What do you mean by split the PoE run?
      I have a single cat6 run to use for POE to an outdoor camera. I'd like to split that at the end into to available cables, so I can add another outdoor AP along with the camera , both using POE.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
        I have a POE run (via ubiquiti USW-16) to an Amcrest camera on the side of my house. I'd like to add an AC-Mesh-AP there to extend coverage into my yard.

Looks like I could use either a Nanoswitch or a Flex to split the POE run - clearly the Nano is cheaper, but also unmanaged.

Pardon if this is a dumb question, but since my camera is on a vlan, wouldn't that mean that if I use the Nano the AC Mesh AP would have to be on that vlan?

The flex would solve for this, but is more (and more costly) than I need.

Is there a solution i'm not thinking of (or a problem here)?

thanks.
        Note that the nanoswitch is for 24V passive PoE not 48V that your Amcrest camera needs. I made the mistake of buying one for a similar purpose and it sits uselessly and unreturnably on my shelf.

Regarding the vlan, yes, if you don't use a managed vlan-capable switch, all devices on that new switch will have to be on the same vlan.
        -Wade

Comment

Missed that one....thanks! What did you end up doing?

Comment

I just needed to connect 2 cameras on the same vlan so went with an unmanaged switch--Cyberdata 2-port PoE gigabit splitter. Pricey, paid just under $100 but it's performed well so far sealed in a 6x6x4 jbox in S. Texas heat. Think I've seen lower cost options for similar products since. Unfortunately no help for your vlan issue.
            -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post

Regarding the vlan, yes, if you don't use a managed vlan-capable switch, all devices on that new switch will have to be on the same vlan.
              They can be on diffetent VLANS. The unmanaged switch will ignore the VLAN tags and just pass the traffic through to you managed switch which will honor the VLAN tags.

Comment

They can be on diffetent VLANS. The unmanaged switch will ignore the VLAN tags and just pass the traffic through to you managed switch which will honor the VLAN tags.
                Thanks for correcting me. So does the managed switch assign a vlan tag based on the device IP for traffic originating from the device attached to the unmanaged switch?
                -Wade

Comment

Let me clarify as I didn't explain it well and omitted something.

In the situation I used this in the customer had unmanaged switches in two buildings hooked together via fiber. They would not let me remove their unmanaged switches so i plugged my managed switches into there unmanaged switches and did the VLANS on my managed switched in each Building. It worked but I eould rather have used just managed switches.

Comment

So in the arrangement below, device1 and device2 could or could not be on separate vlans? My impression has been tagging is by physical port on the managed switch, so separate vlans aren't possible.

unmanaged sw -------------- managed sw ---------- router
                    | |
                    | device1
                    |
                    device2

edit: sorry about the layout being backwards of typical. The board eats the spaces and won't let me draw it the way I intended.
                    -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
                      So in the arrangement below, device1 and device2 could or could not be on separate vlans? My impression has been tagging is by physical port on the managed switch, so separate vlans aren't possible.

unmanaged sw -------------- managed sw ---------- router
                      | |
                      | device1
                      |
                      device2

edit: sorry about the layout being backwards of typical. The board eats the spaces and won't let me draw it the way I intended.
                      And in my scenario, device one is a camera I want on my IoT vlan, and device 2 will be the addition of an outdoor ubiquiti AP.

Comment

Ubiquiti has the US-8-60W for $109 that would allow you to split the one cable into 8 devices, 4 of which can be PoE at 15W (plenty for most cameras or APs).

Benefit then is that everything remains managed from within UniFi at a much finer level of detail.

Depending on your PoE source it can easily supply the PoE power to switch and devices down the line. 802.11AT PoE+ can supply 30W per port, so that's enough for 2 devices on the switch which covers your use-case, and if your devices only use 7.5W each (or less) then 4 works as well.

If you can power the switch nearby then the full 60W from switch itself is available.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post
                          Ubiquiti has the US-8-60W for $109 that would allow you to split the one cable into 8 devices, 4 of which can be PoE at 15W (plenty for most cameras or APs).

Benefit then is that everything remains managed from within UniFi at a much finer level of detail.

Depending on your PoE source it can easily supply the PoE power to switch and devices down the line. 802.11AT PoE+ can supply 30W per port, so that's enough for 2 devices on the switch which covers your use-case, and if your devices only use 7.5W each (or less) then 4 works as well.

If you can power the switch nearby then the full 60W from switch itself is available.
                          I have several of these already. My problem is that I need to split the PoE at the end of the run outside and the US8 isn't rated for outdoor use.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post

I have several of these already. My problem is that I need to split the PoE at the end of the run outside and the US8 isn't rated for outdoor use.
                            Put it in an enclosure.

Your options are limited.

Comment

Put it in an enclosure.

Your options are limited.
                              Hence my original question about the UB Flex.

Comment

Working...
                              X