Does BLLan verify MAC address?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does BLLan verify MAC address?

One of the ways I automatically detect if I am home or away is if my cell phone is connected to the network. That is what I use this plugin for.

I have already reserved my phone's IP address but I'm basically wondering if another device could manually connect to my network with my phone's reserved IP and trigger BLLan to report my phone is connected when it actually is not.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
    One of the ways I automatically detect if I am home or away is if my cell phone is connected to the network. That is what I use this plugin for.

I have already reserved my phone's IP address but I'm basically wondering if another device could manually connect to my network with my phone's reserved IP and trigger BLLan to report my phone is connected when it actually is not.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!
    Yes, it's possible, but so is spoofing a MAC address, so having BLLAN verify it doesn't mean much in additional security. To connect with your ip, they would need a hard-wired connection into your network or know your wireless password.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I figured as much but assumed it required a little more know-how and perhaps software/hardware to spoof a MAC address. Not sure. Never done it. But I know it's pretty easy to manually configure an IP.

So is this to say BLLAN does not verify MAC address? If that is the case, what is that field used for in BLLAN?

Thanks!
      HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
      Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

It is used for WOL
        Cheers,
        Bob
        Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!
          Are you using it to unlock doors or something sensitive?
          I'd be more worried if untrusted ppl can get into your network that easily, than what would they do once inside (like making use of your ip address).

Btw, how would they know that particular ip or your phone is the 'key' in the first place?
          HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

I figured as much but assumed it required a little more know-how and perhaps software/hardware to spoof a MAC address. Not sure. Never done it. But I know it's pretty easy to manually configure an IP.
            All you need to spoof a MAC address is a regular Windows laptop and no special software. Many other devices can be used as well.

As I said above, the key is being able to get onto your network. Even if a device has the same ip address (and MAC address) as your phone, unless they have your wireless lan password, it can't communicate with any device on your network and BLLAN won't recognize it as your phone. However, if someone can physically plug into your network, then you would be compromised, but at that point, they are likely inside your house anyway, and if it's an untrusted party, you have bigger problems to worry about it.

Cheers
            Al
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
            X