Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubiquiti setup suggestions

Hello,
    I’m getting closer to switching over to all Ubiquiti equipment and wanted to get some feedback from everyone. I already have the UniFi APs throughout the house so now I’m just looking to replace my all in one Modem/Router.

The equipment that is currently on my list is:
    Netgear Cable Modem CM1000 - Currently 300X20 but may upgrade internet
    UniFi Security Gateway Pro
    UbiQuiti Edgeswitch 24 GB RJ45 Ports (not POE)

1) Do I need to replace my Netgear 16 port managed switch with the Edge switch? What would be the advantage? It would be a $200 savings without it.

The current setup is a modem/router that feeds into the 16 port switch and then network cable goes throughout the house. Only a couple of computers including the HS computer are wired as well as the APs, TVs, Z-Nets, other than that, most everything else is wireless including all IP Cameras.

With the way our house is structured, it is really difficult to string wire to more places around the house, thus the WiFi cameras. And I have POE injectors on each AP as there are things like the Z-Nets plugged into the same port (5 port switch) so I would lose the power anyway. Unless I forked out more for a multi port POE that I would just have one thing powered, wouldn’t make sense.

What are your thoughts?
    Thank you everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HS3 3.0.0.548 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.71 with 887 Devices, 515 Events
    Plugin's:
    BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee,
    EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
    weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave 3.0.1.252

Since you're going with a combination of unifi and edge, you won't get benefit of a single controller interface so you don't have that reason to swap out the 16 port switch. I went 100% unifi to streamline configuration and monitoring, and for HS3 integration although that's pretty much just PoE control and temp monitoring for the switches. As long as it gives you the configuration options you need--vlan tagging etc--then I don't see why you'd need to swap it.
    -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
      Since you're going with a combination of unifi and edge, you won't get benefit of a single controller interface so you don't have that reason to swap out the 16 port switch. I went 100% unifi to streamline configuration and monitoring, and for HS3 integration although that's pretty much just PoE control and temp monitoring for the switches. As long as it gives you the configuration options you need--vlan tagging etc--then I don't see why you'd need to swap it.
      Ok, didn’t realize the Edge wasn’t UniFi, with the UbiQuiti name in front of it I assumed it was. What advantages would a UniFi switch add? It would obviously add POE (haven’t found one that doesn’t have POE yet) but is there more?
      Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Plugin's:

Comment

The first couple minutes of this video give some basic differences. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RmowhoGr4c

Google ubiquiti edge vs unifi and you'll find more info.
        -Wade

Comment

With all UniFi equipment, then the info shown on the dashboard is complete. If you don’t need this info, then no reason to buy a new switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	02CEEC67-0E85-452D-8E8C-8C7503298891.jpeg
Views:	481
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1321167
          Michael

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.470 | 849 devices | 349 events | OpenSprinkler | BLShutdown | EasyTrigger | NetCAM | Harmony Hub | Sonos | SDJ-Health | BLUPS | PHLocation | BLBackup | BLLock | Z-Wave 3.0.1.243 | weatherXML | Pushover 3P | Blue-Iris | AirPlaySpeak

Comment

I don't believe anyone made mention that another difference between UniFi equipment and Edge equipment is that Edge requires you to know CLI (unix based) whereas UniFi has more polished admin user setup menus and drop downs (you can also use CLI if you want or need to) as @Michael stated if you use all UniFi equipment you will have slick information Panels available whereas those equipment's that are not UniFi will not be sharing their status and will have to be view by some other means via SSH or something else. Now if your a power user and know CLI then Edge is the way to go. Personally I did not know much about setting up a total system but with UniFi I was up and running in a matter of a few hours by watching a few good Utube videos, MTC Mike
            Computer: CUK Intel NUC7i7BNH
            Op System: Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
            HS Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plug-Ins: BLBackup, BLGData, BLRoombaWifi, Device History, EasyTrigger, ImperiHome, Nest, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Restart, Sonos, UltraCID3, UltraWeatherWU3, Z-Wave, and Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
              With all UniFi equipment, then the info shown on the dashboard is complete. If you don’t need this info, then no reason to buy a new switch.

Name:	02CEEC67-0E85-452D-8E8C-8C7503298891.jpeg
Views:	481
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1321167
              Will a managed UniFi switch improve latency?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Plugin's:

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post

Will a managed UniFi switch improve latency?
                I don’t know. I’ve been around computers since 1978 but I am no where near being an expert. I went with UniFi after reading various posts including those by rprade. I also figured that unified equipment would work better together than disparate equipment. Thus the word UniFi?

Our iPhones are on an always on VPN connected to our home network. This means we have no forwarded ports yet have access to Blue Iris notifications. Another added bonus is that since we are on a VPN, our iPhone browsing is secure and “originates” from our home IP address.

Bottom line one for us is that this is the best and fastest network we’ve ever had. Here is a screenshot of my iPad Air (older) WiFi speed:

Name:	F021FFF0-06C8-42C6-80E7-8079936855AF.jpeg
Views:	461
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	1321228

Our speed at the modem is rated at 400/20 and we get around 450/20 from a wired computer. I’m always trying to optimize our network so our speeds may improve in the future for our WiFi clients.

Michael

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.470 | 849 devices | 349 events | OpenSprinkler | BLShutdown | EasyTrigger | NetCAM | Harmony Hub | Sonos | SDJ-Health | BLUPS | PHLocation | BLBackup | BLLock | Z-Wave 3.0.1.243 | weatherXML | Pushover 3P | Blue-Iris | AirPlaySpeak

Comment

For most use case UniFi will do the job and do it very well. Unless you have complex routing or require Layer 3 routing, go UniFi as an end to end solution.

I on the other hand use Edge except for a few UniFi Access Points and Cameras. The UI for Edge Switches and Router have developed significantly and most things are available through the UI and do not require CLI. Edge combined with UNMS is moving closer to UniFi WRT system management.

Comment

I appreciate all the feedback! After watching the video that Wade posted, I'm thinking that I won't need the switch right away but in order to setup VLANs I would need one? VLANs are an extra layer of security that you can segregate LoT devices, HS box, etc into, if I understand that correctly?

Rvtravlr I noticed next to the AP image in your screenshot that it shows two different data rates (31Mbps & 1.95Mbps), have you set up a data bandwidth limitation or is that just the bandwidth being used at that point in time? Also, the download on your iPad is 128 with 400 max, is it at 128Mbps due to the VPN that you have setup, the particular server that you used to test?

brientim I agree, and plan to stick with all UniFi equipment. My main goal is to have better network security and to have the equipment to learn with.
                    Plugin's:

Comment

I appreciate all the feedback! After watching the video that Wade posted, I'm thinking that I won't need the switch right away but in order to setup VLANs I would need one? VLANs are an extra layer of security that you can segregate LoT devices, HS box, etc into, if I understand that correctly?

Rvtravlr I noticed next to the AP image in your screenshot that it shows two different data rates (31Mbps & 1.95Mbps), have you set up a data bandwidth limitation or is that just the bandwidth being used at that point in time? Also, the download on your iPad is 128 with 400 max, is it at 128Mbps due to the VPN that you have setup, the particular server that you used to test?

VLANS allow you to segregate IoT devices, etc. I haven't moved my cameras to a seperate VLAN because it's my understanding, from reading various forums, that there would be a performance hit with Blue Iris.

Current bandwidth is displayed.

128 Mbps on my older iPad is quite good in my opinion. There is no limit set.

We haven't seen any perceptible hit by using an always on VPN. Makes it easy for my wife - she just uses her phone as she would normally.
                      Michael

Comment

The data rates shown are from the APs to the USG (upload to network) and from the APs to the clients (download from network).

Here I am watching YouTube on my phone

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	429
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	1321373

And here I have stopped

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	422
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	1321374

note that the data rate to the clients has dropped.

I also have to say that my move to a full UniFi system has yielded stellar reliability, speed and stability. It was expensive, but every niggling problem I had with a mishmash of POE switches, router and access points has disappeared.

Randy Prade
                        Aurora, CO
                        Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

I can ditto Randy's finishing statement, Like @Michael after reading some of Randy's posting re UniFi I too took the plunge "into the Black!" and have been happy with my setup ever since, obviously this wasn't your original enquiry to have the ability to run existing (non Unifi, e.g switches) with Unifi equipment's (e.g. APs) should work well together until you decide to upgrade at some latter date. Mike
                          Computer: CUK Intel NUC7i7BNH
                          Op System: Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
                          HS Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plug-Ins: BLBackup, BLGData, BLRoombaWifi, Device History, EasyTrigger, ImperiHome, Nest, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Restart, Sonos, UltraCID3, UltraWeatherWU3, Z-Wave, and Jon00 scripts.

Comment

I just made the switch as well, and I'm fairly happy but still struggling a bit to the learning curve. Sonos is still a challenge but I'm working through.

Setting up a VPN doesn't look nearly as easy as my old ASUS router... if anybody has any quick tips tips it would be much appreciated

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Comment

Also keep in mind there is a whole new range of products due to launch soon (available via Early Release program if you are comfortable helping Ubiquiti debug).

The UniFi Dream Machine line is what I'm going for. There is the consumer oriented UniFi Dream Machine (UDM) with build in AC WiFi, and then there is the UDM Pro with SPF+ 10Gbps ports. These will become the successors to the UniFi Security Gateway Pro. The UDM Pro can even replace an ISP gateway and connect direct to your MoAC if you have fiber to the home if your current gateway connects via SPF.

The MoAC in my situation is from AT&T U-Verse and provides a GbE coax line to a Pace 5286AC gateway that currently provides crappy WiFi. Ideally I want the UDM Pro myself, but would have to talk to AT&T then if I can run a fiber line direct to MoAC and have to run additional cables which I'm looking to avoid, so going to place Pace gateway into bridge/DMZ mode and get a regular UDM, and then add a UDM Beacon to expand WiFi coverage through the rest of the house.

For my server room I can then add a USW-24-POE switch that will take care of everything else and allow me to expand with PoE+ APs later if more coverage is required.

They are all sold out right now, but new stock is added on occasion, or wait for full release:An UI account is required, and then you can sign up for 'Early Access' if the above links do not work.

Comment

Working...
                              X