Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Initial setup issue - missing something obvious?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initial setup issue - missing something obvious?

Hi -

I think I'm missing something incredibly obvious... I'm trying to set up this plug in for the first time, and I can't get it to work.

I do have my HomeSeer server on a separate vlan from my UniFi controller. I literally just created a separate IoT vlan over this last weekend, and moved pretty much everything there for home automation, including the HomeSeer server. (I'm questioning that now, and may move HomeSeer back, but that's not the point of this post. I'm not sure I can get Sonos and Homeseer to play nice across the vlan divide, and will look into that later.)

My Unifi controller is at 192.168.4.54 (private vlan), and my Homeseer is at 192.168.8.1 (IoT vlan). I have a pfSense firewall routing between the networks. On the firewall, there is a pass rule from 192.168.8.1 (Homeseer) to 192.168.4.54 (Unifi), on port 8443.

I have one administrative account on the Unifi Controller, with super user privileges. I'm thinking of making a second account just for the plugin to use, but at this point am trying to get it to work.

On the "Unifi Controller Config" page of the plug in, I've loaded a controller, with a name (just whatever), and a username, that is what I use to log into the Unifi Controller, a password that I use to log into the unifi controller, and IP address of 192.168.4.54, and a port of 8443. I've checked the enabled box.

Now - when I go to the client tracking page, or any other status type page, I'm given the option of selecting a controller, which is the controller I entered above. Then there is a drop list for Site. The site list is empty, beyond the default entry of "Select a site". I can't get anything in there.

I've turned on debugging and looked, and don't see any kind of error messages. The plug in appears to be doing nothing to try to communicate to the controller. There are no login warnings, not errors, just some device scans that take 0 ms.

Am I doing something incredibly wrong? Do I have to enable unifi cloud access, and use one of those accounts? Does the controller name matter? I don't have Unifi Cloud access on, because I use a Guacamole server as a jump server to get onto my network to do administration locally. I'm using Unifi Controller 5.10.26, and have tried both the 3.0.0.0 and 3.0.0.12 versions of the plug in.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Oops... I did find an error in the normal HomeSeer log now. I think I was too busy looking at the Logs directory stuff, and somehow totally missed this.
    Sep-02 8:38:47 PM Error Posting back to plugin web page UniFi_Controller_Config: Object reference not set to an instance of an object-> at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke (System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy rp, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage msg, System.Exception& exc, System.Object[]& out_args) [0x00108] in <15c986724bdc480293909469513cfdb3>:0 at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Object.__icall_wrapper_mono_remoting_wrapper(intptr,i ntptr) at (wrapper remoting-invoke) HomeSeerAPI.IPlugInAPI.PostBackProc(string,string,string,int ) at Scheduler.proxyPage.postBackProc (Scheduler.StateObject& state, System.String Data) [0x00036] in <3ee920eb009446a69e68d9b8ff89a07d>:0
    Sep-02 8:38:42 PM Error Posting back to plugin web page UniFi_Controller_Config: Object reference not set to an instance of an object-> at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke (System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy rp, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage msg, System.Exception& exc, System.Object[]& out_args) [0x00108] in <15c986724bdc480293909469513cfdb3>:0 at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Object.__icall_wrapper_mono_remoting_wrapper(intptr,i ntptr) at (wrapper remoting-invoke) HomeSeerAPI.IPlugInAPI.PostBackProc(string,string,string,int ) at Scheduler.proxyPage.postBackProc (Scheduler.StateObject& state, System.String Data) [0x00036] in <3ee920eb009446a69e68d9b8ff89a07d>:0
    Sep-02 8:36:32 PM Error Posting back to plugin web page UniFi_Controller_Config: Object reference not set to an instance of an object-> at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke (System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy rp, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage msg, System.Exception& exc, System.Object[]& out_args) [0x00108] in <15c986724bdc480293909469513cfdb3>:0 at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Object.__icall_wrapper_mono_remoting_wrapper(intptr,i ntptr) at (wrapper remoting-invoke) HomeSeerAPI.IPlugInAPI.PostBackProc(string,string,string,int ) at Scheduler.proxyPage.postBackProc (Scheduler.StateObject& state, System.String Data) [0x00036] in <3ee920eb009446a69e68d9b8ff89a07d>:0
    Sep-02 8:34:10 PM Error Posting back to plugin web page UniFi_Controller_Config: Object reference not set to an instance of an object-> at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke (System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy rp, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage msg, System.Exception& exc, System.Object[]& out_args) [0x00108] in <15c986724bdc480293909469513cfdb3>:0 at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Object.__icall_wrapper_mono_remoting_wrapper(intptr,i ntptr) at (wrapper remoting-invoke) HomeSeerAPI.IPlugInAPI.PostBackProc(string,string,string,int ) at Scheduler.proxyPage.postBackProc (Scheduler.StateObject& state, System.String Data) [0x00036] in <3ee920eb009446a69e68d9b8ff89a07d>:0
    Sep-02 8:31:28 PM Error Posting back to plugin web page UniFi_Controller_Config: Object reference not set to an instance of an object-> at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke (System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy rp, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage msg, System.Exception& exc, System.Object[]& out_args) [0x00108] in <15c986724bdc480293909469513cfdb3>:0 at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Object.__icall_wrapper_mono_remoting_wrapper(intptr,i ntptr) at (wrapper remoting-invoke) HomeSeerAPI.IPlugInAPI.PostBackProc(string,string,string,int ) at Scheduler.proxyPage.postBackProc (Scheduler.StateObject& state, System.String Data) [0x00036] in <3ee920eb009446a69e68d9b8ff89a07d>:0

Comment

First install v3.0.0.0 then update it with v 3.0.0.12

Eman.
      TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

OK, I tried uninstalling, then installing v3.0.0.0, then upgrading directly to v 3.0.0.12. Sadly, it's behaving the same. :-(

When I did my original installation, I did a full uninstall between v3.0.0.0 and v3.0.0.12.

One thought... My unifi controller has a self signed certificate. It's not trusted by the HomeSeer computer. Is the HTTPS connection failing because of that?

Comment

Here are the ports used:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DE32F970-3A21-4E46-94C3-210A9AAC4D04.png
Views:	511
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1324154
          Michael

Comment

Where do we find the 3.0.0.12 ?
            I installed via the homeseer store, it says 3.0.0.0 and doesnt list any update available.

I have problems with the plugin becomes out of sync when i manually restart it.

I have restarted homeseer, the plugins shows as running, but gives this error:

WARNING: Failed getting InterfaceStatus from MeiUnifi - the interface was not found in the list of active interfaces, the list may need to be refreshed.

In the startup log it shows this:
            9/4/2019 5:44:36 PM ~!~Error~!~Initializing plug-in(1): MeiUnifi Instance::Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: {. Path 'data[0].stat.ap', line 1, position 19561. Time to load: 3145 milliseconds

9/4/2019 5:44:36 PM ~!~Starting Plug-In~!~MeiUnifi loaded in 3526 milliseconds

Comment

Rvtravlr - Thank you for sharing! I opened all those ports, and still get the same behavior. :-(

gjelsvik - You'll see the v3.0.0.12 update down in the "Beta" section on the Plug in management page. Way at the bottom, instead of where you usually find new plug-ins to install. Go to the Plug in Management page, In the Remote Plug-Ins section, expand the Addition Interfaces drop down, scroll down to "Beta", then open that.

For further info into the issue... I also tried doing a packet capture at the firewall, and it looks like the Homeseer server isn't trying to talk to the Unifi controller at all. Nothing is being sent when I go between pages, or wait for a "Device Check took 0ms" or "Time to process device updates: 0ms" lline to show up in the /usr/local/HomeSeer/Logs/MeiUnifi/HSPI_MeiUnifi20190904.log file. It's like the plug in just isn't even trying to talk. So - maybe it's something weird in my mono setup or something. Or the plug in is trying to use Multicast or something.... I am filtering on TCP/UDP to the Homeseer server's address.

I'm really starting to think it's a mono issue, or a certificate issue. Does anyone have a self signed cert only on their Unifi controller?

Comment

Another possible weirdness... my site name is: "XXXXX Home (V0)", with our family name instead of XXXXX. I wonder if the spaces or parens are causing trouble. I tried manually loading the site name into the .json file, but don't know what the tag name is for an individual site entry, so the plug in just blew away the controller definition.

Comment

Ah ha! Found something. There IS a communication between Homeseer and the Unifi controller. It happens right when the enabled checkbox on the controller setup page is clicked. I got a packet capture of it.

It looks like there is a sucessful outbound connection from the Homeseer to the Unifi controller, the Controller sends back its certificate, then Homeseer resets the connection.

So - the plug in (or some homeseer function doing the actual HTTPS request) isn't happy with the response, and kills the connection. This fits with the idea a self-signed cert is the problem.

Does anyone else use a self-signed cert on the Unifi controller?

Thanks,
                  Todd

Comment

Are you running it on a linux box with Mono6? There are issues with HttpClient and mono6.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                      Are you running it on a linux box with Mono6? There are issues with HttpClient and mono6.
                      It was mentioned elsewhere to change the IP address with the DNS name of the controller in the the configs seems to fix the issue.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/in...-please-advise

Eman.
                      TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

I am running linux with mono6. I've updated to v3.0.0.13, and tried manually loading the DNS name into the config file... still no luck. :-(
                        What's really confusing, is a still get no error messages, at least not that I can find. Where would I see something? The Homeseer log has nothing useful, and the Logs/MeiUnifi/<latest>.log really doesn't either.

I just get no sites in the site droplist.

Would the fact that my site in Unifi is named "Family Home (V0)" mess stuff up? (There are a pair of parenthesis in the site name.)

Comment

I will see if I can add more logging. Can you send me your log files anyways (via PM)?

I'm not sure if the () would affect it, I don't see why they would though.

Comment

Just purchased and I am getting similar behavior. Upgraded from 3.0.0.0 to 3.0.0.13 as discussed. Do not have a self signed certificate. Do not have a fully qualified name for the controller. I am not using USG. Is this a certificate issue and how do you work around?

I am running a UCK-G2+, Unifi POE switch, 2 UAP-pro AP with an Edgemax-pro router.

This is the error I get when I create a new controller.

Posting back to plugin web page UniFi_Controller_Config: Object reference not set to an instance of an object-> at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke (System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy rp, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage msg, System.Exception& exc, System.Object[]& out_args) [0x00108] in <285579f54af44a2ca048dad6be20e190>:0 at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Object.__icall_wrapper_mono_remoting_wrapper(intptr,i ntptr) at (wrapper remoting-invoke) HomeSeerAPI.IPlugInAPI.PostBackProc(string,string,string,int ) at Scheduler.proxyPage.postBackProc (Scheduler.StateObject& state, System.String Data) [0x00036] in :0

This is my setup

Current Date/Time: 10/30/2019 1:55:04 PM
                            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.531
                            Linux version: Linux HomeSeer-Server 4.15.0-58-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 6 11:12:41 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 3 Days 0 Hours 22 Minutes 1 Second
                            IP Address: 192.168.XXX.YYY
                            Number of Devices: 486
                            Number of Events: 117
                            Available Threads: 796
                            HSTouch Enabled: True
                            Event Threads: 4
                            Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
                            Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
                            Device Exec Queue: 0
                            HSTouch Event Queue: 0
                            Email Send Queue: 0

Enabled Plug-Ins
                            2.0.66.0: BLDSC
                            2.0.6.0: BLGarbage
                            3.0.30.0: BLLock
                            3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger
                            5.0.0.59: Global Cache Pro
                            3.0.0.13: MeiUnifi
                            3.0.0.14: NetCAM
                            3.2.0.8: SqueezeBox
                            3.0.1.19: weatherXML
                            3.0.1.252: Z-Wave

Mono is V 6.4.0.198

Any help or guidance appreciated.

Comment

Has there been any resolution on this? I am having the same issues as the others on this thread. Additionally if I look at the controller in device management it shows as "Not Configured"

Running HS on Ubuntu 18.04 with mono v6.4

Name:	image_83098.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	1337117

Name:	image_83099.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1337118

Comment