Client tracking not working with multiple controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client tracking not working with multiple controllers

I've successfully configured MeiUnifi with two controllers in the configuration below. Everything seems to be working as expected other than client tracking. (WAN1 IP is disabled for both controllers -- separate and known issue discussed elsewhere.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	0 Size:	16.2 KB ID:	1352381

I've tested with 2 wireless devices moving between Site1 and Site2. They are Tracked Device1 (Win10 tablet) and Tracked Device2 (Android phone).

- Tracked Device1 virtual device status in HS updates correctly on both Site1 and Site2, including movement between WAPs within Site1. (Have only 1 WAP at Site2).

- Tracked Device2 status updates correctly on Site1, including movement between WAPs within Site1.

- Tracked Device2 status does not update correctly when connected to Site2. Rather than showing the Site2 WAP, the VD status shows the Site1 USG4-Pro. In the following image both devices are connected to AP-AC-Lite-broadway:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	0 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	1352382

Tracked Device values update correctly. When connected to the WAP on Site2, both Tracked Device VDs have value 2 but are being assigned different statuses:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture2.PNG Views:	0 Size:	45.3 KB ID:	1352383

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture3.PNG Views:	0 Size:	42.4 KB ID:	1352384

Here's HSPI_MeiUnifi_ClientConfig.json.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture4.PNG Views:	0 Size:	21.4 KB ID:	1352385

More things I ran across while troubleshooting. May or may not be related:

1. Errors are thrown at PI initialization when tracking is enabled for device(s). The number of errors relates directly to the number of tracked devices configured in HSPI_MeiUnifi_ClientConfig.json. Two errors appear for each tracked device once created, irrespective of whether tracking is enabled or disabled in the PI config. After creating these images I added 2 more tracked devices, and the number of errors increased to 10.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture5.PNG Views:	0 Size:	27.4 KB ID:	1352386

2. Once a device is enabled for tracking (and it's added to HSPI_MeiUnifi_ClientConfig.json and a HS device is created), if tracking is disabled it cannot be re-enabled in the GUI. The only way I've been able to re-enable tracking is to close the PI, edit HSPI_MeiUnifi_ClientConfig.json ("Enabled": true) and restart the PI.

Let me know what I can do to help troubleshoot. Thanks.
    -Wade

Update: I've successfully added a 3rd controller to my configuration, and the HS devices were created and are updating properly. *thumbsup* (Once again, I've not enabled the WAN1IP device due to prior, known issues, so no testing of that.)

On PI startup, I'm now getting 3 fatal errors logged for each tracked device, one for each configured controller.

The new controller serves a 3rd, remote site and I won't be able to test tracked devices on it for a while. The tracked device problem between the first two sites continues as reported above.

Frank, I realize these issues may be difficult to troubleshoot if you don't have multiple controllers available. Let me know what testing and logging I can do to assist.

Thanks!
    -Wade

Comment

Thanks Wade, I will let you know.

In other news my Cloud Key died apparently..... I did just get my CloudKey Plus Gen 2 finally set up (good news is that the plugin didn't even care as long as the IP was the same).

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
        (good news is that the plugin didn't even care as long as the IP was the same).
        Good to know. Currently have controller instances on a CK gen.1 and on 2 PCs. Thinking of moving one or both from PC to RPis I have on the respective LANs, currently just running pi-hole.
        -Wade

Comment

Turns out the original problem of my phone showing status of connected to the wrong device has a simple answer on the surface: Status/Value pairs are different from tracked device to tracked device. I just need to manually fix the value/status pairs on the PI device for the phone. I believe this relates to another issue I've run across and will report in a separate thread: the plugin's HS devices don't appear to be updated (recreated) when a hardware change is made. I started tracking the phone first, then made a couple Unifi hardware changes before I began tracking other devices. This likely explains the difference in status/value pairs since the PI device for tracking the phone wasn't updated with the new hardware config.

Since the PI device updating issue is entirely different than the way I reported the original problem, I'll start a new thread with a relevant title. I'll start separate threads to track the other two items at bottom of my first post.
          -Wade

Comment

Sorry again all. My home server died and I've been busy rebuilding it. I will look into the status/value pair issue.

Comment

Working...
            X