Subnet is seen but cannot be used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subnet is seen but cannot be used

Continuing from previous post - https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...6&postcount=86

I think I did all I could to remove the plugin and start from scratch then started fresh. It seems that I still cannot get a different subnet to stick.
    Here is what the main subnet looks like - the one the plugin works fine for. it finds devices no problem - host names and Mac addresses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10dot.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1211185

Here is the other - the plugin can see they are online - but attempts to manually add the Mac addresses or make them Homeseer devices does not "take".

Name:	70 devices.PNG
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1211186

Please assist. I'm still working to determine if somehow my topology / config is interfering.

Edit - Got this error which might be related -

Jul-04 8:21:02 AM 1 Error System.Net.NetworkInformation.PingException: An exception occurred during a Ping request. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Unknown error (0x2b2a) at System.Net.NetworkInformation.Ping.InternalSend(IPAddress address, Byte[] buffer, Int32 timeout, PingOptions options, Boolean async) at System.Net.NetworkInformation.Ping.Send(IPAddress address, Int32 timeout, Byte[] buffer, PingOptions options) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.NetworkInformation.Ping.Send(IPAddress address, Int32 timeout, Byte[] buffer, PingOptions options) at System.Net.NetworkInformation.Ping.Send(IPAddress address, Int32 timeout, Byte[] buffer) at HSPI_ULTRAMON3.hspi_plugin.MonitorGatewayConnection()
    Jul-04 8:21:02 AM 1 Error System.Net.NetworkInformation.PingException

Another EDIT:
    So I wanted to isolate other potential problems so HS3 & the ULTRAMON plugin were installed on a test machine which is on the same unmanaged switch. The results are much the same - ULTRAMON can see the subnet and the online status of the devices but that's it. It did not find the 192.168.70.0 subnet on its own, like it found others - I had to manually add it. So I'm just about at the end of my troubleshooting ability. I ran the ULTRAMON with debug turned on for about 30 minutes.
    Thanks for your time.
    hspi_ultramon3_debug.zip

UltraJones, If you could let me know if my usage is within what the plugin is capable of, I would appreciate it. In my mind, this should work.
    Last edited by Monk; July 9, 2017, 01:53 PM. Reason: Additional Information

In a nutshell - this is whats wrong with the plugin

Bump - Please acknowledge.

1. In the plugin
    "Plugins-->UltraMon3-->UltraMon3-->IP Subnets"
    After naming the UltraMon 3 Discovered device, assigning it a Host Name, Host Type and MAC Address - a HS Device is created - however, when returning to this exact spot, it is no longer present. The "save" did not take.
    In this example 192.168.2.61's data is no longer there.

Name:	mon2.PNG
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1191493

2. Once creating the HS device, it is not monitored and the status remains "unknown".

Name:	mon1.PNG
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1191492

This occurs on the second added subnet only. Original works as expected.

Comment

I am sorry for the delay. I just got back from vacation. I will look at this later this week. In the meantime, can you tell me if you have a network card with an IP address within the network you're trying to add?

Regards,
      Ultrajones
      Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
        I am sorry for the delay. I just got back from vacation. I will look at this later this week. In the meantime, can you tell me if you have a network card with an IP address within the network you're trying to add?

Regards,
        Ultrajones
        Hello!
        Yes, I do have a machine with a NIC on both networks.

Comment

I tried to duplicate this issue, but I am unable to do so. I have my HomeSeer system connected to a 192.168.2.0/24 and added a new 10.0.0.0/24 IP subnet. I then restarted the plug-in and it properly inserted the new IP subnet. The plug-in is also properly detecting devices and both networks including the MAC addresses. I then created devices within the new IP subnet and they properly reflecting the up/down state of the device. Do you have an anti-virus software running on any of the systems you are testing that may prevent access to the other IP subnet?

For the new devices you created, please go into the Advanced tab to make sure the Technology Address reflects the device's MAC address. If not, delete and recreate the device.
          Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

In what manner are you creating the new subnet ?
            Mine is sort of like
            1. Assign subnet to a new interface on a router port.
            2. Then plug switch / devices into said port.

Comment

I have 2 Internet connections into my house. I simply fired up a wireless connection to the other network (10.0.0.0/24).

Comment

My other network is fire-walled inbound (its my IOT subnet) but I can still reach it and connect to devices on it. It just seems that whatever the reason why the plug-in cannot determine MAC addresses, the fact that it can see the addresses should count for something. Should be able to monitor any device it can see.

Comment

After more thought - let me toss this out there

It would seem that you are connecting to an entirely different network - not a different subnet of an existing network.

As you are testing in that fashion you have full access to both networks.

I am guessing you get information via ARP which is "broadcast" and cannot traverse actual subnets.

Can we not fix this so at least it can save and test IP addresses of actual "Subnets"?

Does this sound right?

Comment

The plug-in relies on ARP requests to map an IP address back to a MAC address. If you had a network card connected to 192.168.1.0/24 and another connected to 192.168.2.0/24 and both networks allowed ARP requests, then it should work.

Comment

Well - here is what I'm looking at. I believe the trouble spot is at the router / firewall. It isn't going to allow broadcast from the 192.168.70.0 network to my nice safe 192.168.2.0 network. I might be able to forward the broadcasts - but - my whole point of doing it this was is to keep safe from what I'm calling "Internet of Things" network. Everything on the left = wild west - all on the right is the safe zone.

Name:	CW_Network.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1191591

Comment

Make it stick?

So anyhow - it's my setup probably causing some of the plugin to not work - but other parts DO WORK. It finds new addresses etc:

<table class="log_table_row" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="LogDateLong LogDateTime1" colspan="1" style=" white-space: nowrap;" align="left">Jul-16 11:45:10 PM </td><td class="LogPri1" colspan="1" align="left">
                        </td><td class="LogType1" colspan="3" align="left"> Informational </td><td class="LogEntry1" colspan="8" align="left"> Discovered host 192.168.70.112 [] [] on 192.168.70.0. </td></tr></tbody></table>
                        So could it be fixed that if the IP can be seen, that it can then be saved / managed for alerts, etc?

Comment

The MAC address is what's currently used to identify a host. The MAC address is also the device's HomeSeer unique identifier because it's something that shouldn't change. I am sorry, but at this time you won't be able to use the plug-in to monitor devices within a subnet that don't support ARP queries.

Regards,
                          Ultrajones

Comment

Monk I know this is an old thread but I have the same issue and was wondering if you found a solution. I too have my IoT devices (Google Homes etc) on a different VLAN using Unifi gear. I would like to be able to monitor the status of these devices is HS some way.
                            Thanks, Marty.
                            iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Linux version soon?

Comment

Working...
                              X