Devices showing as Online when they are really Offline/sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devices showing as Online when they are really Offline/sleeping

I have just noticed over the past couple days while upgrading some computers that several of my machines that Ultramon monitors are showing they are Online when they are sleeping. I confirmed on several of them by issuing a standard ping command from the CMD prompt and it comes back with Request timed out, but if I check ultramon ping history it shows blue bars on them for the exact same time range. I have several other machines that are sleeping and they show red dots (-1) in the History as expected.

I appear to have at least 4 machines/devices that are displaying this behavior and I'm not really sure how long it has been happening. I just took notice recently after upgrading/replacing a machine that I had to use hibernate on with a new computer which now is using sleep and now the machine shows Online all the time.

I'm not sure if this started occurring after a Windows update, HS or the plugin. All of the machines are on Windows 10 and I'm running .402 of the HS beta and the current version of the Ultramon plugin. If I tell these machines to completely shutdown they do appear to go troubled/offline as expected. I'm not sure if some additional logging would be helpful or if anyone else has noticed anything similar.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Current Date/Time: 1/25/2018 3:11:49 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.402
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
    System Uptime: 3 Days 9 Hours 28 Minutes 44 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.0.10
    Number of Devices: 1192
    Number of Events: 256
    Available Threads: 800
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 2
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0
    Anti Virus Installed: Windows Defender Malwarebytes

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.2.0.5: APCUPSD
    1.0.0.147: Arduino Plugin
    2.0.76.0: BLLock
    2.0.4.0: BLPlex
    2.0.132.0: BLRadar
    2.0.93.0: BLRF
    1.2.2.0: Device History
    3.0.0.43: EasyTrigger
    5.0.0.58: Global Cache Pro
    3.0.0.2: HSTV
    3.0.0.25: ImperiHome
    3.0.0.55: ISYInsteon
    3.0.1.109: PHLocation
    1.0.0.7: Restart
    30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
    3.0.5.6: SDJ-Health
    3.0.4.4: Tasker Plugin
    3.0.6516.32486: UltraLighting3
    3.0.6561.37908: UltraLog3
    3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3
    3.0.5960.36744: UltraSighthoundVideo3
    3.0.0.80: weatherXML
    3.0.0.45: X10
    3.0.1.186: Z-Wave

I have had a similar situation when I replace a computer. Since the HomeSeer devices are tied to the MAC address, when I replaced the computer it was no longer monitored but the HomeSeer device remained. The UltraMon tab was not populated IIRC. When I went into UltraMon setup, I found that the IP address of the new computer (same as the old) was no longer enabled. When I enabled it a new HS device was created, leaving the HS device for the old computer.

You might double check that the devices are still enabled in the UltraMon IP Subnets.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Randy,

Thanks for the response and I did update the mac address after switching machines and wol does work for it through ultramon. I do think I will delete and recreate one of them completely to make sure though. Will report back if that helps at all.

Thanks,
      Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by cerjzc View Post
        Randy,

Thanks for the response and I did update the mac address after switching machines and wol does work for it through ultramon. I do think I will delete and recreate one of them completely to make sure though. Will report back if that helps at all.

Thanks,
        Jeff
        I did confirm that when a device is not connected to the plug-in the UltraMon3 tab on the device will be blank.

Comment

I did remove one of the devices and then added it back through the IP Subnets page. Enabled it and confirmed that when the computer was awake it showed Online. I then tried putting the machine to sleep and my ping from another machine stopped, but it still shows Online in the Plugin and the "Ping History" from the Devices tab shows either blue lines/dots thinking it is still awake. I know he mentioned in another tread that it is using some sort of Arp request it seems it must be getting a response that the machine is up while in Sleep mode. I'm not sure why I just started seeing this recently though and only on specific machines.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by cerjzc View Post
            I did remove one of the devices and then added it back through the IP Subnets page. Enabled it and confirmed that when the computer was awake it showed Online. I then tried putting the machine to sleep and my ping from another machine stopped, but it still shows Online in the Plugin and the "Ping History" from the Devices tab shows either blue lines/dots thinking it is still awake. I know he mentioned in another tread that it is using some sort of Arp request it seems it must be getting a response that the machine is up while in Sleep mode. I'm not sure why I just started seeing this recently though and only on specific machines.

Jeff
            I was one who asked for ARP requests so that it could pick up devices like Amazon Echos that don't respond to a ping. That was a while ago. I have over 150 devices monitored and have not noticed any inaccuracy as to whether they are online or not. I just did a quick check of mine and they all appear correct.

I am interested to see what you find.

Comment

I'm seeing the same thing. I noticed a few days ago a few machines status were on line that were in fact not. I deleted one device, recreated it, but still shows online. That was as far as I got.

No work has been done to these machines in a long time.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
              RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Ultrajones,

I did try a couple other devices and they seem to act the same. Can you explain how the plugin checks to see if the device is "awake" using ARP?

Thanks

Comment

An ARP request sent to a system connected to the network where the network card still has power would be online.

Regards,
                  Ultrajones
                  Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Ultrajones,

I currently have 5 machines that now always show Online even when sleeping. 3 of them are new machines in the last 6 or 8 months, but 2 are machines I have had for years and have always utilized sleep on them and hadn't noticed this behavior. I also have 3 other machines that use sleep currently and they do show offline while sleeping. I will look into the nic card settings to see if something got reset I don't understand why they would start showing as Online while sleeping and when pings fail to all of them while asleep.

I noticed it when events stopped triggering when the machines would/should have been going offline/online.

Thanks,
                    Jeff

Comment

There was a recent change in the plug-in from using ICMP Ping to ARP Ping in order to detect devices like the Amazon Alexa and the Microsoft xbox. The ARP ping will show any system as online when the network card still has power and is connected to the network.
                      Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Ok that would explain it. I have found that if I go into each machine and disable "ARP Offload" or on some of them "Protocol ARP Offload" it appears to fix the problem. They now appear to show offline while asleep and I can still wake them with WOL. I haven't noticed or read of any downsides that would effect me so I will try running like this for now and see if that resolves my issue.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X