Skybell online status is not detected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skybell online status is not detected

I have a Skybell trim doorbell camera. It has been in and working for a couple of years. As of the last few weeks it no longer shows as online in this plug-in. It does not respond to a ping, but my Unifi AP does show it is connected and online. I have no way of knowing if they rolled out a software update, but it is likely they did. I do not know if it ever responded to pings. I also do not know how Ubiquiti detects it, but I would guess it is by ARP. This plug-in successfully detects Amazon Echo devices by ARP as they also do not respond to a ping.

Any ideas how we can get this device working with the plug-in?
    Randy Prade
    Aurora, CO
    Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Hi Randy,

UltraMon3 HSPI hasn't used ICMP Ping for several releases. It now only uses ARP to determine if a host is on-line. The Skybell may have deployed a mechanism to release the network connection unless needed. Check to see if responds to an ICMP Ping while being used.

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

It does not respond to a ping, even when a session is active. My Unifi controller shows it online for 21+ days. The device in your plug-in stopped showing it as online a couple of weeks ago. Every other device is properly detected by the plug-in.
      Randy Prade
      Aurora, CO
      Prades.net

Comment

It is obvious Skybell changed something. I will delete the device for now. If there is an answer at some point I will add the Skybell again.
        Randy Prade
        Aurora, CO
        Prades.net

Comment

The SkyBell showed up again last week. I got an email letting me know a new device is on the network.

As of a few weeks ago, UltraMon3 no longer detects Amazon Echos.
          Randy Prade
          Aurora, CO
          Prades.net

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            The SkyBell showed up again last week. I got an email letting me know a new device is on the network.

As of a few weeks ago, UltraMon3 no longer detects Amazon Echos.
            Not sure why you would be having this issue. The plug-in uses an ARP query to determine if the device is on-line. All 6 of my Amazon Alexa devices are on-line. Could your HomeSeer computer's firewall be blocking the ARP response?

Regards,
            Ultrajones
            Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post

Not sure why you would be having this issue. The plug-in uses an ARP query to determine if the device is on-line. All 6 of my Amazon Alexa devices are on-line. Could your HomeSeer computer's firewall be blocking the ARP response?

Regards,
              Ultrajones
              I turned the firewall off before posting. It still doesn’t find them. arp -a on the HS3 Server doesn’t see them either. Since yours is working, I will have to dig into my network further, maybe it is a router firewall issue.
              Randy Prade
              Aurora, CO
              Prades.net

Comment

The problem was apparently caused by Ubiquiti fixing something that should never have been. Arp requests were making it through to my guest network (where the Echos are) until a recent USG update. Apparently they fixed a hole in their guest policies.
                Randy Prade
                Aurora, CO
                Prades.net

Comment

This, among many reasons, is why guest networks can be problematic. Some of what these devices use for 'easy discovery' rely on some pretty arcane bits of networking like multicast and arp. Developers of the devices don't always grasp how those things are supposed to work and just go with "it worked on the generic network we set up" approach. When you try to actually secure things it gets messy. It gets even messier when you want to have non-guest-network devices interact with those on the guest network. By the time most users get fed up with opening up all kinds of random ports and protocols you might as well have never bothered putting them on a separate guest network.

So, yay for ubiquiti catching what shouldn't have happened in the first place?

Comment

Agreed. I have no problem with them fixing it. I was inadvertently exploiting a weakness which they have now fixed. I would much rather my guest network be completely isolated. Rather than poking holes, I will decide between isolation and monitoring of these devices. If I need to know in HomeSeer whether they are online or not they will need to be on my primary network.
                    Randy Prade
                    Aurora, CO
                    Prades.net

Comment

It is possible to configure routers and firewalls to pass traffic. But the nuances of what ports and protocols need to be allowed are hard to determine when the devices don't come with any REAL technical documentation. You're then at the mercy of your search-fu being savvy enough to hit upon the right kind of question to find desired search results. I typically go with "device name, router name PROBLEM".

As witnessed 2 weeks ago with some crappy-*** 1st gen Belkin WeMo outlets on my new Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Pro access points and pfsense router.

My temporary solution is to allow them to connect to a degraded security SSID. But the final solution is probably going to be the trash can. Because setting up a VLAN for them and then all of the appropriate rules to get their packets passed is just going to be too much damned trouble. For both initial setup and then for long-term maintenance. I HATE having oddball gear that requires equally oddball configurations just to work around crappy limitations. Better to throw the damned things out than have them be a constant maintenance plague.

Comment

Working...
                      X