Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Linux alternative that sees new devices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Linux alternative that sees new devices?

Just set up a Zee / Pi at the vacation place and was disappointed to see no UltraMon for Linux. BLLAN doesn't report new devices on the network (only monitors manually configured addresses). Any alternatives or suggestions?

Trying an experiment today. Over the years here have been able to run HS3 executibles and have connected them fine to HS3 running on Linux.

I always like Jon00's remote control and monitoring utility. For HS2 managed my 15 touchscreens with same said utility.

Today have an mini W2003 32 bit Oracle Virtual box running on the HS3 Ubuntu 18.10 server. I use the VB mostly for SAPI speech with 4 speaker clients running on it.

Today changed the network transport on the VB from NAT to a Bridged connection which is currently doing DHCP to the main LAN.

and Installed HS3 on the Windows VB. Running now just Jon00 remote control on said box and put a link on the HS3Pro box to the VB instance and it works fine.

Essentially it is two HS3 instances running on the same box. The Windows version isn't doing anything except for running Jon00 remote control stuff.

Using a VPN tunnel between your home and vacation home you could make the Zee 2 a device on your home network and monitor it with HS3 Pro running on Ubuntu 18.10 with a second instance in a VB monitoring the network.

Testing the above works for me...

Here changed the MAC addresses on my Jogglers a while ago....

Click image for larger version

Name:	joggler.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	1268663
    From HS wake them up in the morning, turn on screensavers, disable touch et al....

Now starting to monitor WiFi Espurna / Tasmota devices...probably going to change MAC addressing on these too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	magichome.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	1268664
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Not sure if i'm off topic but...This works really nice to remote control a windows pc! Use it since june 2018. The protocol is mqtt

https://github.com/msiedlarek/winthing

Comment

Yeah here used Jon00's Windows script / plugin for many years to manage my 15 Homeseer tabletop touch screens. It is basic stuff and totally remote controlling the tabletop touchscreens. Over the years here have major hardware modded these touchscreens. I did notice that installing the Oracle VB on the HS3 Ubuntu machine and bridging the ethernet interface made the plugin work great. Discovery worked fine. Originally did test out a few python scripts running in Linux but the feature set with Jon00's script is very nice. I am pushing a bit on the touchscreens running embedded Windows with only a little bit of memory and a small SSD.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I'm guessing this method is unlikely to work on a Raspberry Pi - which is what the Zee runs on?

Comment

No.

The RPi is s bit short on RAM to be able to run a second OS. This really only works with AMD / Intel CPUs with 4 Gb or more of RAM. Maybe it could work on an ARM based Rock64 with 4Gb or RAM and an eMMC drive.

There are 3rd party boxes (RPi's) and serve as network monitor devices both for internal and external connections with an agent running similiar to Jon00's software and you can do much of this stuff with python scripting today.

Here just mostly utilize the utility to manage my wintel tabletop touchscreens. I could though schedule events based on local time and stuff right on the tabletop touchscreens.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation. I suppose I could always use a small-profile Windows system if I really want full function.

Comment

Working...
              X