Shutdown command not executing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutdown command not executing

Hi, I have a windows 7 PC with HS3 and Ultramon3 plugin. ALl works accept shutdown of remote Windows PC. I tried both PSShutdown and Ultramon Shutdown. Result is same.

THis is in the log:
    Error Unable to send Reboot to device 18-A9-05=
    My firewall on HS3 computer is OFF, no virus or security software running. Why am I getting this error?

Thank you

Change in my problem stated in previous post.

After changing between PsShutdown and Ultramon Shutdown, the function started working. I have no idea why. I just switched from PsShutdown to Ultramon. (10th time).

Now however, some of my desktop PC status is not updating. I am looking at HOME page of HS3 where I see all my network devices. A Windows PC which is off, shows as online. I have tried changing the time values for ping and all others in the Ultramon setup. Does not effect the problem. When i go to Plugin Setup, looking at IP Subnets screen I see all my devices listed but again, the computers which or turned off, show as online. I can even do a ping to the same IP address from the computer where HS3 is running, i get a time out but Ultramon shows as online.

How to trouble shoot this?
    F

Comment

Can someone please tell me how I can debug the problem of some specific devices created by this plugin being continuously "online"? As I said in my previous post, I can send a ping command to that device from same PC as HS3 and get a timeout yet Ultramon3 still sees it as online. THis is not for all devices, just a couple of select once. What can i do to see where and why ti does not find this particular device offline?

Comment

My plug-in uses the address resolution protocol (ARP) to determine if a system is connected to the network. If your PC responds to ARP requests, it will report as online. Can you try powering off the PC to see if the state changes?

Regards,
        Ultrajones
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
          My plug-in uses the address resolution protocol (ARP) to determine if a system is connected to the network. If your PC responds to ARP requests, it will report as online. Can you try powering off the PC to see if the state changes?

Regards,
          Ultrajones
          When I powered off that PC the state changed to Offline. Thanks for that.
          Should I disable ARP? How can I get the PC to Hibernate and the plugin to report it as something other then online?

One more thing that I am not clear on. I have two PCs, both running WIndows 7 Pro and as far as I can tell are configured same. One of them hibernates and plugin shows offline, the other one hibernates and plugin shows online.

F

Comment

Ultrajones, can you please give me some guidance in this case? As you suggested, I turned off the PC and that change the status to "offline" in your plugin. What do I need to do for this to work when hibernating? Do I need to enable/disable ARP support? Please let me know

Comment

Originally posted by chubafelix View Post
              Ultrajones, can you please give me some guidance in this case? As you suggested, I turned off the PC and that change the status to "offline" in your plugin. What do I need to do for this to work when hibernating? Do I need to enable/disable ARP support? Please let me know
              Have tried this one : https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...etwork-monitor?

Eman.
              TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by chubafelix View Post
                You cannot disable ARP. It's the method used to find the address of a computer on your local network. It's also the most reliable way to monitor the status of a device on a network (even if a host firewall blocks all inbound connections). At this time, the plug-in does not provide a means of determining if your hibernated computer is offline while still connected to the network. It's technically still online.

Regards,
                Ultrajones
                Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post

You cannot disable ARP. It's the method used to find the address of a computer on your local network. It's also the most reliable way to monitor the status of a device on a network (even if a host firewall blocks all inbound connections). At this time, the plug-in does not provide a means of determining if your hibernated computer is offline while still connected to the network. It's technically still online.

Regards,
                  Ultrajones
                  OK, I understand what you are saying but I am still unclear why one Windows 7 computer shows offline in hibernate mode and another Windows 7 computer does not. So, that is what I was asking. Is one of them running ARP and the other not? What can I look for to understand the difference?

Comment

All computers are running ARP - its one of the most basic networking protocols. Your difference is most likely due to hardware differences between network cards rather than software.

This may be configurable -- on Windows 7, open Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center, then click Change adapter settings. Double click on the icon representing your Ethernet connection, then click Properties. On the next pane, click Configure... button. On next pane, select Power Management tab. Note that selections on mine include 'Respond to ARP requests without waking system'.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X