Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting my devices to recognize in Ultramon

I've got:

1 computer XP. Recognized by the computer name. Uses DHCP.
    1 laptop W2K. Recognized by the computer name. Uses DHCP.

1 laptop XP. Not recognized. Uses DHCP. Shows as offline, "did not resolve"
    1 Router. Not recognized. Static. Shows as offline, "did not resolve"

1 cable modem. Not sure how to set this up. Static of course.

Can anyone offer some pointers for my three devices. I can't figure out how to get Ultramon to recognize them.

Windows Firewall

Ok, Windows firewall was the reason for the one laptop not to respond. Still working on the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by bgudauskas
      I've got:

1 computer XP. Recognized by the computer name. Uses DHCP.
      1 laptop W2K. Recognized by the computer name. Uses DHCP.

1 laptop XP. Not recognized. Uses DHCP. Shows as offline, "did not resolve"
      1 Router. Not recognized. Static. Shows as offline, "did not resolve"

1 cable modem. Not sure how to set this up. Static of course.

Can anyone offer some pointers for my three devices. I can't figure out how to get Ultramon to recognize them.
      UltraMon HSPI uses Windows XP provided functions for providing name resolution (e.g. gethostbyname, gethostbyaddress). These functions then attempt to resolve the name using DNS, lmhosts file, hosts file, NETBIOS, etc.

In my setup, I use manual DHCP which allows me to configure my DHCP server so it always provides the same IP address to a host. I then manually configure my hosts file to map the name to an IP address. I also enter systems that don't respond to a NETBIOS name resolution request (like my wireless routers).

I think your best bet is to edit your hosts file and enter your systems names and their associated IP addresses. This only needs to be done on your HomeSeer system.

Regards,
      Ultrajones
      Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I must be stupid as I can not get my router to resolve either. What Host file are you talking about ?

Also I have a ATA 186 VOIP adapter is there anyway to get this to be monitored ?

Help,

John

Comment

If you set your devices to have static IP's, then you can name the device the IP address and create a device type that is easy to identify.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ctdeng0
            I must be stupid as I can not get my router to resolve either. What Host file are you talking about ?

Also I have a ATA 186 VOIP adapter is there anyway to get this to be monitored ?

Help,

John
            Assuming your router name is ROUTER01 at IP address 192.168.1.1, then add the following to your Windows hosts file (e.g. c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts):

192.168.1.1 ROUTER01
            Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Working...
            X