Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm troubled... and troubled... and troubled...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm troubled... and troubled... and troubled...

I'm trying out UltraMon, and I think it's great. Just one problem I can't seem to manage.

To report changes, I have a voice announcement (script) set whenever a monitored device changes status.

I soon realized the repeated announcing of failed pings (trouble, trouble x1, trouble x2...) to my office computer when I shut it down for the night was too much, so I've set my settings in UltraMon Options as follows:

Check Interval = 3 minutes
    Attempts = 1 time
    Mark failed after = 1 time
    Ping Timeout = 2 sec

HS was restarted whenever I made config changes.

However I am still getting beatin over the head with announcements. For example, I have just switched off my office PC and have received the following announcements:

PHP Code:
    5/19/2009 7:38:11 PM ~!~UltraMon Warning~!~Office PC is now Troubled because [Timed-out].
    5/19/2009 7:38:14 PM ~!~TTS~!~Speak: ():The Office Computer is Troubled
    /19/2009 7:41:25 PM ~!~Event~!~Event Trigger "Office-PC Status"
    5/19/2009 7:41:25 PM ~!~Event~!~Running script in backgroundUltraMonStatus.vb("Main","OfficePC")
    5/19/2009 7:41:25 PM ~!~UltraMon Warning~!~Office PC is now Offline because [Timed-out].
    5/19/2009 7:41:28 PM ~!~TTS~!~Speak: ():The Office Computer is Offline
    /19/2009 7:44:46 PM ~!~UltraMon Warning~!~Toshiba Camera is now Troubled because [Timed-out].
    5/19/2009 7:44:47 PM ~!~Event~!~Event Trigger "Office-PC Status"
    5/19/2009 7:44:47 PM ~!~Event~!~Running script in backgroundUltraMonStatus.vb("Main","OfficePC")
    5/19/2009 7:44:50 PM ~!~TTS~!~Speak: ():The Office Computer is Troubled x 3
    /19/2009 7:48:07 PM ~!~UltraMon Warning~!~Toshiba Camera is now Offline because [Timed-out].
    5/19/2009 7:48:08 PM ~!~Event~!~Event Trigger "Office-PC Status"
    5/19/2009 7:48:08 PM ~!~Event~!~Running script in backgroundUltraMonStatus.vb("Main","OfficePC")
    5/19/2009 7:48:14 PM ~!~TTS~!~Speak: ():The Office Computer is Troubled x 4
    /19/2009 7:51:30 PM ~!~Event~!~Event Trigger "Office-PC Status"
    5/19/2009 7:51:30 PM ~!~Event~!~Running script in backgroundUltraMonStatus.vb("Main","OfficePC")
    5/19/2009 7:51:34 PM ~!~TTS~!~Speak: ():The Office Computer is Troubled x 5
    /19/2009 7:54:51 PM ~!~Event~!~Event Trigger "Office-PC Status"
    5/19/2009 7:54:51 PM ~!~Event~!~Running script in backgroundUltraMonStatus.vb("Main","OfficePC")
    5/19/2009 7:54:55 PM ~!~TTS~!~Speak: ():The Office Computer is Offline 
    What's very peculiar is that UltraMon is reporting the Toshiba Camera is troubled, yet the event that is run is the Office-pc announcement. The voice announcements are always reporting troubled events five times when I shut down the office-pc. Yet as the log above shows, it's a bizzare sequence of "troubled", "offline", "troubled {x1 thru x5}", then another "offline" whenever I power the pc down. I have confirmed the triggers for both events are correct and unique, and each device of course has a different IP address.

Does this make any sense?
    Mike

Any feedback from the author? My trial period is almost over.
    Mike

Comment

Sorry to say this but this looks like a problem with your script or event config.

it seems that Ultramon is reporting your Office PC Troubled, and then Offline. and the same for your Toshiba Camera. This is what the plugin does so it appears to be working as advertised.

I do not know why you get the troubled x1 x2 etc other than your event or script is incorrect.

Post your script here and maybe a screenshot of your event so we can have a look.

Regards

Neil
      Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

Originally posted by mwaite View Post

What's very peculiar is that UltraMon is reporting the Toshiba Camera is troubled, yet the event that is run is the Office-pc announcement. The voice announcements are always reporting troubled events five times when I shut down the office-pc. Yet as the log above shows, it's a bizzare sequence of "troubled", "offline", "troubled {x1 thru x5}", then another "offline" whenever I power the pc down. I have confirmed the triggers for both events are correct and unique, and each device of course has a different IP address.
        The logs show both the Toshiba Camera and the Office-PC were not reachable via ICM Ping. The HomeSeer event was triggered on the Office-PC changing status.

The event you created is doing was you asked it to do :-) If you're running a custom script, you can suppress any of the unwanted device value state changes (e.g. Troubled - Troubled x 5). The different values were created to provide status on how long a monitored host was unreachable.

The UltraMon HomeSeer device values are:
        PHP Code:
        Offline = -6
        Troubled x 5 
        = -5
        Troubled x 4 
        = -4
        Troubled x 3 
        = -3
        Troubled x 2 
        = -2
        Troubled 
        = -1
        Unknown 
        Recovered 

If you're not interested in processing all the state changes, you could create 2 HomeSeer events, 1 when the device value changes to "Online" and one when the device values changes to "Troubled x 2".

I could also add a new feature to announce when a PC changes state (Online or Offline) allowing the plug-in to announce the name / IP address, etc. Thoughts?

Regards,
        Ultrajones
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I think having an online/offline announcement would be great! Also, would it be possible to store this info in an HS device [which device/status]. If you look at my script, I have every Ultramon device run the same script. That way I could trigger off 1 device (to run my betabrite message) instead of all these events.

I do understand how it may appear that the problem lies in the script/config. However I still don't see it.

Am I misunderstanding how this works? If both ATTEMPTS and MARK FAILED AFTER are both set to 1 minute, then why does the device status continue to change after 2 intervals (I have 3 minute intervals set)?

Yesterday's office-pc power down yielded the following:
          PHP Code:
          5/22/2009 7:04:25 PM ~!~Event~!~Event Trigger "Office-PC Status"
          5/22/2009 7:04:25 PM ~!~Event~!~Running script in backgroundUltraMonStatus.vb("Main","OfficePC")
          5/22/2009 7:04:25 PM ~!~UltraMon Warning~!~Office PC is now Troubled because [Timed-out].
          5/22/2009 7:04:30 PM ~!~TTS~!~Speak: ():The Office Computer is Troubled
          /22/2009 7:07:41 PM ~!~Event~!~Event Trigger "Office-PC Status"
          5/22/2009 7:07:41 PM ~!~Event~!~Running script in backgroundUltraMonStatus.vb("Main","OfficePC")
          5/22/2009 7:07:41 PM ~!~UltraMon Warning~!~Office PC is now Offline because [Timed-out].
          5/22/2009 7:07:44 PM ~!~TTS~!~Speak: ():The Office Computer is Offline
          /22/2009 7:10:56 PM ~!~Event~!~Event Trigger "Office-PC Status"
          5/22/2009 7:10:56 PM ~!~Event~!~Running script in backgroundUltraMonStatus.vb("Main","OfficePC")
          5/22/2009 7:10:59 PM ~!~TTS~!~Speak: ():The Office Computer is Offline
          /22/2009 7:14:11 PM ~!~Event~!~Event Trigger "Office-PC Status"
          5/22/2009 7:14:11 PM ~!~Event~!~Running script in backgroundUltraMonStatus.vb("Main","OfficePC")
          5/22/2009 7:14:16 PM ~!~TTS~!~Speak: ():The Office Computer is Offline
          /22/2009 7:17:27 PM ~!~Event~!~Event Trigger "Office-PC Status"
          5/22/2009 7:17:27 PM ~!~Event~!~Running script in backgroundUltraMonStatus.vb("Main","OfficePC")
          5/22/2009 7:17:30 PM ~!~TTS~!~Speak: ():The Office Computer is Troubled x 5
          /22/2009 7:20:41 PM ~!~Event~!~Event Trigger "Office-PC Status"
          5/22/2009 7:20:41 PM ~!~Event~!~Running script in backgroundUltraMonStatus.vb("Main","OfficePC")
          5/22/2009 7:20:44 PM ~!~TTS~!~Speak: ():The Office Computer is Offline 
          Note, there were no other Ultramon triggers during this time. I purposely have disabled the Toshiba cam trigger as this camera is too unreliable wirelessly and continously changes online/offline state.

I have attached a screenshot of my Ultramon events and the Ultramon Device List. All names match, as does the attached script (rename to .vb).

It is entirely possible I am looking past the problem, however I don't see it.

Best regards,
          Mike
          Attached Files
          Last edited by mwaite; May 23, 2009, 03:36 PM. Reason: typo
          Mike

Comment

I could also add a new feature to announce when a PC changes state (Online or Offline) allowing the plug-in to announce the name / IP address, etc. Thoughts?
            Sounds brilliant...would perhaps need to add a time when announcements would be made...ie no 3am in the morning!

Comment

Originally posted by mwaite View Post
              Am I misunderstanding how this works? If both ATTEMPTS and MARK FAILED AFTER are both set to 1 minute, then why does the device status continue to change after 2 intervals (I have 3 minute intervals set)?
              It is the device values that are changing, not the device status. You could trigger on a device status change instead which should provide what you are looking for. Just make sure UltraMon > Options > Update Device Status = Yes.

Regards,
              Ultrajones
              Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Thanks for the tip! I already had Update Device Status set to Yes, yet I was still having multiple triggers. But your statement "You could trigger on a device status change instead..." made me realize that I was triggering off "Set to any status" instead of "Changed to any status".

Now this all makes sense. I'm laughing at myself for getting caught in Status/Value/String definitions.

It's working great now! Thanks again.
                Mike

Comment

Working...
                X