Utility to monitor HS server running UltraMon - from a different server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utility to monitor HS server running UltraMon - from a different server

I'm using HS and UltraMon to monitor home network devices and send an iPhone alert via growl when something that should be up 24x7 is down. Works great. Now I just need to monitor the HS server and HS app from another server and the circle will be complete. :-)

Does anyone know of a (free or cheap) Windows app that can monitor via ping or (preferably) tcp port 80 probe, then execute a command if the system is down? I know how to execute a command that will generate a growl alert to my iPhone.

I've searched high and low. I find free utilities that aren't really free or don't have the basic functionality I need in a free, lite or cheap version. I figure this is the right audience for my question. Hopefully someone has used such a utility in the past and they switched to UltraMon for more functionality. There's got to be something basic and cheap out there....

Thanks.
    Last edited by ; January 13, 2011, 06:56 PM.

Wont HS Sentry do this? If HS server is down, it will reboot on it's own.

Originally posted by AdamH View Post
    I'm using HS and UltraMon to monitor home network devices and send an iPhone alert via growl when something that should be up 24x7 is down. Works great. Now I just need to monitor the HS server and HS app from another server and life will be complete. :-)

Does anyone know of a (free or cheap) Windows app that can monitor via ping or (preferably) tcp port 80 probe, then execute a command if the system is down? I know how to execute a command that will generate a growl alert to my iPhone.

I've searched high and low. I find free utilities that aren't really free or don't have the basic functionality I need in a free, lite or cheap version. I figure this is the right audience for my question. Hopefully someone has used such a utility in the past and they switched to UltraMon for more functionality. There's got to be something basic and cheap out there....

Thanks.
    Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

No, I want to be notified separately there's a problem. Fixing it automatically via reboot is nice, but it doesn't provide the monitoring I'm looking for. Also I don't have automatic log in set up as it interferes with remote desktop, and other reasons.

It's a virtual server and there have been times where it's been down due to a software update on it or the host. It may have been situations of my own doing. Monitoring from a completely different server is what I'm after.

Comment

The nearest I have come is to use:

www.r-u-on.com

service to monitor HS server. If anyone has any better ideas...

Comment

Thanks, need software I can install on one of my servers.

You might want to check out www.pingdom.com. They offer free monitoring for 1 ip and have a 5 ip option for not much money. They send sms alert and have a nice iPhone app. I use to monitor my internet connection.

Comment

Not sure if there are other solutions, but I have just set up a way to be notified if HomeSeer is not running. It is a cloud based solution and not via software installed on a service within my home. It is free though.

My HS3 is running on a dedicated Windows 10 device. It is running as a service, but sometimes if the computer restarts (perhaps there was a Windows software update or something else happened like a power outage) HS3 doesn't always start. I have not been able to reliably recreate the issue to figure out why HS3 does not start. Sometimes I've had an issue with a network switch. Issues happen on occasion/rarely, so I have been wanting to find a way to get a proactive notification that HS3 is not running or not running as intended.

I have come across two online services that are free uptimerobot.com and hetrixtools.com.

My HS3 is accessible through a domain that I own with a port specified (eg., mydomain.com:10200).

uptimerobot allows you to set up a port monitor as well as an http monitor and hetrixtools.com allows you to set up a ping/service monitor. They are both free. Apparently, you have to login to hetrixtools.com at least every 30 days to keep the free account active so I may end up just using uptimerobot. The only advantage to hetrixtools.com is that it checks every minute and uptimerobot checks every 5 minutes. They both have flexible notification options including pushover which I am a big fan of. I'm going to keep using both for the next little while to see if there are any differences in performance. Hopefully this solves my notification problem.

Comment

Working...
            X