UltraMon HSPI - WOL works, Shutdown does not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UltraMon HSPI - WOL works, Shutdown does not

UJ - I am testing your UltraMon PI and can happily say WOL command button works (after tweaking ome LAN Adapter settings)! Unfortunately, for me the Shutdown command button and others only generate errors: Unable to send Shutdown to device 4338 and Unable to send Shutdown to device 4338. Am I missing soemthing here?

Originally posted by Dan the LAN man View Post
    UJ - I am testing your UltraMon PI and can happily say WOL command button works (after tweaking ome LAN Adapter settings)! Unfortunately, for me the Shutdown command button and others only generate errors: Unable to send Shutdown to device 4338 and Unable to send Shutdown to device 4338. Am I missing soemthing here?
    I don't use Ultramon HSPI, but do use PSShutdown. You may need to send administrative right to the PC you are trying to shutdown, things like user name and password. You do not need to send this to WOL a computer.
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

PSShutdown - I'll try that next...

Thank you for your recommendation, Gogs. PSshutdown will be next on my eval list. UltraJones' PI's have never failed to impress, so I started with that. I am hoping it is something I overlooked and not functionality that never made it into his PI. Shut Down and Reboot buttons are present, so odds are good that it's my bad - not UJ's!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan the LAN man View Post
        Thank you for your recommendation, Gogs. PSshutdown will be next on my eval list. UltraJones' PI's have never failed to impress, so I started with that. I am hoping it is something I overlooked and not functionality that never made it into his PI. Shut Down and Reboot buttons are present, so odds are good that it's my bad - not UJ's!
        I am not suggesting UJ's will not work, just trying to point to a possible problem in communicating with the remote computer.

PSShutdown is well established, but, to trigger from HS you require a method.
        sigpic
        A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

UltraMon uses psshutdown for functions other than WOL, so it has to be installed, it if isn't already. Confguration is on the Options page.
          jim

Comment

UltraMon uses PSshutdown

Yup, a little more digging revealed A) the UltraMon HSPI indeed requires & uses PSshutdown.exe and B) it is NOT automatically installed with the PI or called for its instructions - but I may be blind.

Sooo... I now have PSshutdown installed, but the invocations I've tried are not working. I suspect the issue is complicated by the fact the W7 Pro Media Center computer I want to shut down is a member of a Server 2008 Domain. Neither UJ's HSPI nor the PSshutdown download site appear to provide explicit instructions in that scenario.

The WOL portion of UJ's HSPI works reliably, as does the detection of lots of other LAN devices. I am not sure yet if I only need descrete Shutdown and WOL capabilities or a full Suite of connectivity features has greater value.

Thanks for engaging! Dan the LAN Man

Comment

UltraMon SHutdown Command is working!

SO.. I've had a couple nights to play and I pronounce UltraMon to be WORKING! I've posted the results from the HS log after clicking the Shutdown button created for PC MCC-MC4 using the UltraMon PI.

Running E:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HSPRO\PsTools\psshutdown.exe
              [192 168 0 234] -u MC4 -p ****** -k -m "UltraMon HSPI Shutdown" -n 60 -t 60 -v 60

psshutdown service on 192.168.0.234... <O></O>

MCC-MC4 has powered itself off in about 2 minutes!

Thanks, Ultra! Dan the LAN Man

Comment

I am new to WOL. I've never used it before.
                I installed the HS3 plugin a couple of weeks ago and am struggling to get it to command the target PCs to do anything. I have 2 PCs that have the same basic configuration and both have WOL enabled in the Bios. The network card is part of the motherboard (Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P(rev. 1.0)) and comes WOL enabled.
                I selected Ultramon Shutdown Service and confirmed that it is a running service in Task manager. When I send a wakeup, shutdown or restart command from Homeseer the log file says that the command was successfully sent. I see no errors but it has no effect on either PC.
                I downloaded WOL Magic Packet Tester and confirmed that the target PC can received packet.

So, what am I doing work?

Thanks,
                Robert

Comment

Working...
                X