Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature request?

Hi Ultra,

I wonder if you are interested in implementing a minor feature request? I have noticed that on most computers there are multiple network interface cards. Any or all may be used to connect to the LAN that ultramon is monitoring. Rather than treating each network card as belonging to a unique computer, I would like the ability to specify one machine with multiple network cards. Laptops for example have both wifi and ethernet ports. The wifi cards are often comprised of more than one radio--each with it's own MAC. So even a basic laptop has at least three MAC addresses.

Currently it is very difficult to setup events and actions based on ultramon triggers involving these computers. This is because the multiple MACs create to many possible connection scenarios, and no one scenario is used exclusively.

While I could create some virtual devices, and events to solve the problem, I would need to change all of that each time the laptop is changed. I have close to 10 devices that have more than three possible NIC's. I think it would be much nicer if UltraMon had the ability to add a device in ultramon, and specify which network cards are associated with it. The status "online", and "offline" could reflect the status of any of the associated NICs.

What do you think--is this something you could add?

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Hi Ultra,

Any thoughts on this?

Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue

Comment

Hi Ultra,

While ultramon is pretty good, and I like the changes you made from the hs2 to the hs3 version, it still feels kind of unfinished since it really is not making tracking devices that easy without a ton of events/scripting. I would like to use the status of ultramon devices in triggers in some events.

What I find is that the events get complex very quickly accomodating the different potential ways devices can connect to the LAN.

I have purchased 7 plugins from you over the years, I would have hoped that somehow that indicated that I like what you do. I'm still optimistic that you will continue to make improvements to your plugins, and even release new ones. Again, please consider adding some kind of feature like I suggest to UltraMon.

Thanks.

Comment

I actually had a reply typed the day you posted this, but lost the entire contents after I was prompted to re-authenticate. I then got side tracked while troubleshooting unexplained computer crashes when using Internet Explorer. I ended up having to replace 2 memory modules and the hard drive. I am up and running again.

Can you post a screenshots of one of the events so I can see what you're doing? It may help me come up with a way to simply events for systems that have multiple network interfaces.

Regards,
        Ultrajones
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Hi Ultra,

I think I am not having trouble creating the events. What I am after is a mechanism to decrease complexity, and increase flexibility.

One system I have for example is a laptop that can be docked either on my desk, or my wife's desk. Each dock has a different NIC, and the laptop has both 2.4, and 5.8 ghz radios for connecting to either of my two N wifi AP's.

That is a total of 4 MAC addresses for this laptop. I have three printers connected to z-wave appliance modules. I currently turn off printers when the house is vacant, or after midnight. I would like to turn them off if no computers are on. But I need it to be very reliable to maintain high WAF. So the event would need included conditions for if any of the NICS turn on (as monitored by UltraMon). The resulting event would have a large number of conditions (4x the number of physical devices if all have 4 NICs).

So my idea is that in UltraMon you add the ability to create a virtual device, and assign LAN devices to that device.

If this does not make sense I will post a screenshot of one of my large events.

And thanks for looking into this! Your plugins are universally great!

Comment

Working...
          X