Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPN Issue

Ultra,

I'm having trouble with UltraMon 3 detecting the difference between my firewall and my VPN connections. Both types of connections have the same MAC address on the inside of my network which is confusing the plugin. In the log, it's commenting that the MAC address changed IP Addresses, but that's all the information its giving, and it isn't giving much help with telling me which connection is online. Is there a way that I can detect by IP Address? This would solve my problem as the firewall's IP is different then the IP's assigned to my VPN clients. It would be extra neat if I could detect by MAC and IP address to make a statement true.

Thanks,
    Jerry Coleman

Hello Jerry,

If the IP address keeps flip flopping between your firewall and whatever this VPN device is, then they both share the same MAC address. Did the discovery process detect the VPN device as a physical IP address on your network?

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
      Hello Jerry,

If the IP address keeps flip flopping between your firewall and whatever this VPN device is, then they both share the same MAC address. Did the discovery process detect the VPN device as a physical IP address on your network?

Regards,
      Ultrajones
      Hey Ultra,

When I was using the plugin with HS2, it could detect when my VPN clients were connected because they were assigned a static IP Address. I'm not positive, but I'm thinking HS3 is detecting maybe by MAC address and that is where the difference is. I'm using a Watchguard hardware appliance for my firewall.

Take care,
      Jerry Coleman

Comment

The task that I'm trying to accomplish is to receive an email from ultraSMTP and also turn on a lighthouse lamp that is on my entertainment center when an active VPN connection is first detected. When the VPN connection goes away, I would like the light to turn off. If I see the lighthouse light on and I'm watching TV, I will know something is wrong.

Comment

In UltraMon2, HomeSeer device were IP address based. That caused a lot of issues with folks that didn't assign a static IP address to their devices. In HS3, I am using MAC addresses because that is always associated with a physical network device. I have not yet figured out how to add monitoring of hosts with a static IP address into the current design.

Regards,
          Ultrajones
          Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Working...
          X