Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Devices on other subnet not being saved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devices on other subnet not being saved?

Hi UltraJones, I downloaded v3.0.6147.22046 this morning and had no issues with the installation. I am monitoring two subnets:

192.168.0.0/24
    192.168.1.0/24

I am able to scan both subnets and see the various devices in the IP Subnets tab. And I can created devices is both subnets and the respective Homeseer devices are created. However, only those that are in 192.168.0.0/24 will be displayed in the Devices tab. The Homeseer devices in the other subnet are not updated either.

I switched the order that the subnets are input on the Options page, but that made no difference. I removed the plug-in and it's data and devices and reinstalled. No difference again. What's more, I don't receive any errors in the log.

On closer examination, I also noted that the devices that I added in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet are not being written to the ultramon3.xml file. Not sure if that is helpful in troubleshooting this. I'm running HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.297 (Windows)

Thanks in advance,
    Craig

After reading some of the other posts, I'm wondering if this is happening because the other subnet (192.168.1.0/24) is being access via VPN. I'm using dd-wrt routers on each end to create the VPN. As mentioned in my prior post, I can see the active devices on that subnet, however, the plugin doesn't see their MAC addresses. I then input those manually when I edit/create the devices.

As I understand it, since the plugin needs to see the MAC address to monitor device status, could this contribute to the behavior I'm seeing?

Thanks,
    Craig

Comment

I'm seeing the same thing. I was trying out UltraMon recently (I used it under HS2) and noticed that UltraMon kept moving the firewall device to the ip addresses used by the VPN connections. Because the firewall's mac address is used by the VPN connections, UltraMon assumed that the firewall ip address changed, and I don't see a way where I can assign the same mac address to multiple devices.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I spent an inordinate amount of time thinking that I had something not quite right in my pfSense config until finally coming here and seeing others with the same problem. I really want this plugin to work right. It would make my life much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by EarlyMorningHours View Post
          I spent an inordinate amount of time thinking that I had something not quite right in my pfSense config until finally coming here and seeing others with the same problem. I really want this plugin to work right. It would make my life much easier.
          I use pfSense and have over 100 devices being monitored by UltraMon3. What issue are you seeing?
          Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

The thread topic perfectly describes my problems. I've segmented my home network into multiple VLANS. I've filled out the subnets box properly I think, because on the IP Subnets tab, the dropdown list appropriately shows all of my subnets. Any host sitting in the same subnet as HS3 is properly discovered and my modifications are saved. Any host in any other subnet will get a HS device created when I check the box to make it. That created device will keep the device type I assign to it, but it loses the MAC and just stays in a state of "unknown". The moment I leave the IP Subnets tab, the details are lost. So the HS3 device is still there, with device type, but no MAC or IP, but the IP subnets tab seems to forget everything.

EDIT:
            I installed your UltraLog3 plugin trial and I noticed the following when I would try to create a HS3 device of a host on another subnet:
            Code:
            Warning	File does not exist: C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultramon3\images\ajax-loader.gif
            I disabled UltraMon3 (but did not uninstall it), selected it again for install and I did not see any entries indicating that ajax-loader.gif file getting placed in the images directory. And I'm still having the same issue with hosts in other subnets.

I should be clear to say that any host sitting in the SAME subnet as HS3 has no problems at all. Likewise, the internet monitoring and gateway monitoring devices are all functioning perfectly.
            Last edited by EarlyMorningHours; November 19, 2016, 06:34 AM.

Comment

An issue with attempting to monitor multiple subnets is that ARP queries are typically only valid within a subnet. My plug-in uses ARP queries to determine the MAC address of a host on the network and uses it as the unique identifier for the device. If my program cannot properly query the MAC address, then it has no way of programmatically mapping the MAC address to the IP address.

My HS2 plug-in used an IP address as the unique identifier, but when a host changed IPs, it was difficult to keep the device correctly happed to the HomeSeer device.

In order for multiple subnet monitoring to work, HomeSeer must be attached to any subnet you want to monitor so the ARP queries work properly.

Regards,
              Ultrajones
              Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Indeed, ARP doesn't route. I'm not sure how many are completely OCD like me, but my entire home network (~ 50 nodes) utilize DHCP reservations. I understand that this isn't a feature request thread, and I'm just sort of spitballing here, but perhaps coupling an IP address along with a user defined TCP port could be useful. Or even upon discovery of a new host, doing a port scan for some sort of fingerprint type identification.

Comment

I agree as well. It would certainly be nice to scan via ARP and TCP. I can see where one would want to do both. I too have several subnets and would like to scan the "remote" subnets as well.
                  HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Working...
                  X