Single zone control using x10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single zone control using x10

Hi folks, i dont have a huge garden, but fitted an iregation system sometime ago - its the type that has a small battery operated timer anf controls a single zone.

I'd like to be able to control this from HS as the timer is in a very akward position.

I think all i need is a battery powered, RF controlled mains water on/off valve. Sounds easy enough, i've spent some time looking on line but not found anything similar. Does anyone know of a device that would do the job??

BigCol

I bought one of the underground sprinkler valves (Rain Bird) at Home Depot and bought the pieces to connect it to my spigot. It's controlled by a 24V wall wart that plugs into an outdoor X10 appliance module. Works great. In the winter I unscrew it from the spigot and store it away. The valve looks like these.
    http://www.sprinklersupplies4less.co...6224cc4dc95ead
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Can't remember seeing any RF ones personally, could build one if you desperately needed it, would it be possible to run a 12v cable and you could use;

http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/1/2-...01540-024.html

+

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/images/1.25amp.jpg

and then an appliance module?
      My Plugins:

Pushover 3P | DoorBird 3P | Current Cost 3P | Velleman K8055 3P | LAMetric 3P | Garadget 3P | Hive 3P |
      Yeelight 3P | Nanoleaf 3P

Comment

You can use an X10 (or other technology) appliance module, plugin a 24VAC transformer walwart and then a standard Rainbird/Orbit/Toro irrigation valve that uses 24VAC to control its solenoid valve. All total should be around $50. Use HS to schedule the irrigation.

Comment

Thanks folks for your ideas, work is a bit hectic at the moment so any decision will need to wait a couple of weeks.

Comment

Folks, im finally about to look at HS control of my irigation.

I was wondering if the info already supplied was still upto date, or if anything new has come to the market??

mr happy, the prodcuts you recommended are still available - that may be the route i head down unless someone comes up with a new idea....

Comment

yes there are so many ways...

all still current recommendations...

1 zone .. that is it.. then all you need is... a valve and a way to control it..

as RUPP and Michael said..

all you need to do is run a hose to a valve... wire that valve (most likely 24vdc?) back to a appliance module... zwave/x10 or any other protocol..

if you think you will ever go further with irrigation.. id say start looking at other stuff like the rain8 stuff... i still have to install an irrigation system but aquired a rain8 and all the stuff for it (not for sale) through a trade for all my 1wire stuff... so i was in your boat... i did that about 2 years ago AT LEAST.. and it is still a good viable solution...

i dont think any of these recommendations will ever expire as there isnt much to it...

good luck with it!!!!
              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I have one of the Orbit water systems outside - the controllers use (I believe 4) AA batteries - I don't think using a 24V wall wart would make sense here. Maybe a 12V or even a 6V?

Any thoughts? I am thinking of getting rid of the controller and connecting the valves directly to Homeseer (via a ZWave appliance controller). This is primarily used as an irrigation system for my raised bed garden

This is the exact system:
                http://amzn.com/B000BH7KQO

Comment

looks like those units on the faucet are just relays... the controller you have there just gets programmed to turn on the juice to the valve and go at the time needed...

so you would need to see what volts are sent out of that controller to the valves... then use something zwave that does that correct voltage...

or a zwave to a walwart that gets turned on or off to get the power to it...
                  HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Working...
                  X