No announcement yet.

Need help w/ irrigation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Etherrain is a good choice and mcsSprinlkers PRO will work well with it. The only caveat is that you cannot irrigate two zones simultaneously with etherrain, but I suspect that is not a constraints in your case with only 4 zones.

Comment

I agree. I think I'm gonna try it...
      HSPro on a Supermicro Atom|Z-Net
      Elo touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets, Xbox One
      Global Cach/Ultra-GCIR | Etherrain | Jon00 | Sonos | Blue Iris | URC Whole Home Remotes | Philips Hue | Nest | Grandstream | Leviton | Aeon Labs | Cooper | Kwikset | Evolve | Envisalink/DSC | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

Yeah I'm going to order it today.
        I don't really have a setup that I could connect to a pc like the Rain8 controllers want. With just 4 zones and no real special irrigation needs, I don't see a reason to go crazy. I do like the mcssprinkler plugin but doubt I would spend the extra money for the pro version just so it would work with etherrain. Plus it doesn't appear that the Rain8 has a controller with pump control which I obviously need.

I'll try etherrain's plugin and see if that will be sufficient.
        Last edited by Mario23; August 7th, 2012, 01:59 PM.
        HSPro on a Supermicro Atom|Z-Net
        Elo touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets, Xbox One
        Global Cach/Ultra-GCIR | Etherrain | Jon00 | Sonos | Blue Iris | URC Whole Home Remotes | Philips Hue | Nest | Grandstream | Leviton | Aeon Labs | Cooper | Kwikset | Evolve | Envisalink/DSC | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

A while back my goal was to initially replace the "insides" of the Rainbird box which housed the original Rainbird controller with my own automation. That said and over the years I put more and more inside of the box running cables via the original plastic conduit installed by the sprinkler installer company. Today that conduit has the original Rainbird cluster of solenoid wires, power (now multiple), ethernet and network. Maybe though it was too much to try to fit inside of the box? That said the final pieces were to install the actual software/hardware controlling the application inside same said box which I did and now its been running for over a year in "production". Its a bit different today as the labeled diagram (went to a Liliput 8" touch screen and other stuff was changed). The DS-10A is used for the original Rainbird rain sensor connection to Homeseer; but its not really utilized that much these days. Personally the most difficult piece of the project in the photos was the installation of copper plumbing and sweating (soldering) the pipes as I had just learned and never had done that before. I do shut off the water at valves in the basement right before they go to the garage. The POE in the wall access point is seldom utilized these days but is more an ethernet port which I do utilize. The garage too is now a sub media zone with its own audio amplifier, sources for NAS media and a separate set of wall speakers (plus it does HS sound / Russound zone). I also kept the old Rainbird controller/with a wireless module such that it could be re-installed in the box should the need come up to downgrade back to legacy.
          Attached Files
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Rain8Net loses Address

There seems to be a lot of experience on this thread, so let me see if anyone can help me. Neither HomeSeer nor Rain8Net believe this is their problem (though there are a number of postings referencing similar issues).

I have two homes with similar Rain8Net configurations. One home runs just fine on the less robust HT SE and HS Std. At my other home, however, I continue to have ongoing issues running on the system described in my signature below.

The problem home has a Rain8Net hardwired to Com 3 of the Hometroller described in the signature below. Rain8Net is configured as Address 1. Initially after setup, Rain8Net runs fine via either automated events or iphone device control. After a few days, however, the Hometroller will no longer operate the Rain8Net and the log looks like this:

7/26/2012 4:00:00 AM ~!~Event~!~Event Trigger "Irrigation, Drip"
            7/26/2012 4:00:00 AM ~!~Device Control~!~Device: Sprinkler Zone 4 Street Drip Beds (]4) ON
            7/26/2012 4:00:04 AM ~!~RainRelay8~!~Warning, timed out waiting for response (on/off), is there a controller at address 1?

At 4:00 AM the day before this log, the event ran just fine and I can't see anything odd in the log during the 24hrs between. I then reset the Address to 1 (as described below) and once again I am operational for a day or 2 or 3 or 5...

After my last address reset on Aug 1, the sprinkler ran fine for 5 nights and failed last night. Once again, there is nothing in the log pointing to an obvious problem, just the "4:00:04 AM ~!~RainRelay8~!~Warning, timed out waiting for response (on/off), is there a controller at address 1?".

As to the one reply I got on the Irrigation forum from Rupp concerning memory, the HS "About" tab shows that Total Physical Memory is 62% free and Total Virtual Memory is 98% free; these seem to be about what they always are.

After last night's failure, I did what I usually do to make it work for a few days. I go to Interfaces/Rain8Net/Config where I see my device as Controller at 1. Without changing anything else (I don't want to lose all my named zones and events), I am disconnecting all other com port devices (as the instructions say) and at the bottom of that Config page under "Initial Configuration" I am setting (re-setting) the address as 1. I then save, exit, save changes to HSProtect, log off, reconnect the other com ports and log back on. Until last night, everything would then works again for a few days. HOWEVER, even though the sprinkler worked via iPhone devices last night after I reset, this morning I found that the 4 AM event failed to run with the familiar message: "Warning, timed out waiting for response (on/off), is there a controller at address 1?". This is the first time I have had an event fail immediately after a reset.

Rain8Net has no ideas to offer other than to replace the controller (which seems unlikely since we've already tried that once) or return it.

1) Any ideas for possible work-arounds (what is purpose of "Address 1", this is the only device on Com 3)?

2) Am I initially installing wrong? Rain8Net's instructions seem to say that we should use their separate configuration program, and then set it up in HS (which seems like a redundant configuration); is that correct?

3) I'd like to make it work, but would be willing to return it to Rain8Net if anyone has an alternative, reliable 8 zone controller.

4) I'm using a serial to RJ converter; any problem with those?

5) Are many others running the Rain8Net on a Hometroller (I get the impression that many are running the HS software on other machines)?

6) Are their other interfaces that will still let me survey all my devices (alarm, lights, hvac and sprinkler) on HStouch?

We are in the midst of a drought and I am often gone for 1 to 3 weeks; this is really a problem for me...Any ideas???
            HS3Pro on Windows 10
            One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
            2nd install with 1 Zstick
            300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
            5 CT-100 tstats
            Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
            18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls
            Serial Rain8Net Pro with 8 zones

Comment

Rain8Net's instructions seem to say that we should use their separate configuration program, and then set it up in HS (which seems like a redundant configuration); is that correct?
              Personally I have always shut down HS and used the Rain8Net configuration program to program the Rain8Nets I have. Mine are Rain8Nets. There is one serial com link. Then if you have two you manually program one with one address then the second one with a unique address. Then you plug them together. The test program will let you turn on and off each solenoid depending on the address you pick (#1 or #2)

I then test the on and off of the Rain8net with the WGL provided program. Sounds like you are using a directly connected serial port for HS. That said it should be plug n' play.

It could be defective. I had one of two which had been struck by lightning and would appear to work then quit with errors like above.

First time I would plug it into HS for the season I do the on and off for every zone to check on the zones and solenoids.

I have locked them up by a continous stream of commands on and off to different zones; rarely though.

If you can utilize the original serial to RJ device provided by WGL. Its only three wires. You may have some loose wire there. My custom cable went from the garage to the basement corner some 50-75 feet and it worked for about 10 years or so.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Today our irrigation system has been installled and I tried to test the Etherrain 7p controller. Unfortunately I had to connect the wires myself to the Etherrain and I'm not an expert in wiring. I tried to follow the scheme as found on different sites, but the controller keeps telling me that there is a short.

In the attached picture the current wiring is shown. Had contact with the installing company and they said to use the red/orange/green/yellow for sprinklers and blue for common. I'm not sure I wired the common in a proper way. Is there someone with more technical expertise that could help me out?
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm no expert but I think the thin blue wire (coming from the bundle) should be connected to the first terminal,
                  where you now have the thick blue wire. Next to the ethernet connection. I'm not sure what you are doing with the
                  thick blue wire.

I am assuming that you don't have a master valve that needs to be opened before anything else will work. I'm getting
                  this from http://www.quicksmart.com/downloads/...on%20Guide.pdf

Also, you might need to have the 24Vt connection connected.

Hope this helps
                  Don

Comment

Tried that and took off the connecting blue wire. Now only the left green connector box is connected (first blue and second/fourth/sixth and eighth the valves). Still short message...

Indeed no pump control needed as there is water pressure continuously provided and pump will make sure to have enough Bar in place...

I have connected the 24vt with the left connector (right from a trafo providing 24v).

Comment

I'm at a loss then. You might try disconnection all wires and see if the short message goes away. If it does then connect one wire back until it reappears.

Sorry I wasn't more helpful.
                      Don

Comment

Turned out that the valves (underground) were not connected yet (forgot to check that as the cabling was brought to the inside). Also put the current directly to the etherrain (connector at the right instead of left plug-in). Now it works. Thanks Don for your help...
                        Unfortunately it's raining

Comment

Great to hear.

Feel free to send any excess rain my way.
                          Don

Comment

Working...
                          X