Wireless Irrigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Irrigation

I am looking at the Rain8Net solution, but would need to trench 75' of cable to get it connect to the computer and won't be doing that.

What wireless options are there to hookup the irrigation system to the computer?
    Last edited by jchomeauto; November 22nd, 2012, 12:27 PM.

You could try the Rain8-RS232 and a wireless serial adapter like this one.
    Global Cache WF2SL Wifi to Serial Converter

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Conv...bles-C179.aspx
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jchomeauto View Post
      I am looking at the Rain8Net solution, but would need to trench 75' of cable to get it connect to the cable and won't be doing that.
      Where is the existing controller located? Could you place a PC there?

I use mcsSprinklers to control the Rain8Net zone relays. The program is very powerful, but can run on a minimal computer, so if you have an old XP machine you could install it near the original controller and use xAP to link it to HS. I do that, even though my sprinkler PC is right next to my HS PC.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

It's in the middle of the yard, so no PC out there.

It's looking like my options are trench cable or wireless serial. I was hoping the wireless serial was sub $100.

Comment

If it were me I'd probably trench preferring a wired connection.
          HSPro on a Supermicro Atom|Z-Net
          Elo touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets, Xbox One
          Global Cach/Ultra-GCIR | Etherrain | Jon00 | Sonos | Blue Iris | URC Whole Home Remotes | Philips Hue | Nest | Grandstream | Leviton | Aeon Labs | Cooper | Kwikset | Evolve | Envisalink/DSC | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

What I do for most of my outdoor needs is to use powerline ethernet. I obtained a number of netgear adapters in the past and I think newegg is selling them at about $20 now. You must have power to your existing irrigation controller so you have a wired connection already in place to get back to your control/PC. mcsSprinklers runs on a pogoplug linux solution for very low power. I would also suggest the etherrain which is IP rather than RS-232 for just a few more $. It also runs as HS plugin or on a PC.

Comment

I can second the Etherrain as mine has run well other than some errors on my part.
              As long as you don't need zones running simultaneously.
              And mms sprinklers is worth every penny!
              HSPro on a Supermicro Atom|Z-Net
              Elo touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets, Xbox One
              Global Cach/Ultra-GCIR | Etherrain | Jon00 | Sonos | Blue Iris | URC Whole Home Remotes | Philips Hue | Nest | Grandstream | Leviton | Aeon Labs | Cooper | Kwikset | Evolve | Envisalink/DSC | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

Originally posted by jchomeauto View Post
                It's in the middle of the yard, so no PC out there.

It's looking like my options are trench cable or wireless serial. I was hoping the wireless serial was sub $100.
                A bit over $100 is a ton easier than trenching any day
                -Rupp
                sigpic

Comment

A bit over $100 is a ton easier than trenching any day
                  $100 on a trencher may be a lot more effective than $100 on a WF2SL. My experience on b/g through a wall or two will not achieve reliable operation at 70 ft. Perhaps some higher power router could be applied, but really do not want to be trying to achieve reliable control opeations at the margins that the technology can support.

Comment

I second the powerline ethernet. I have my WGL rain8Net+ in my shed - some 70 feet from the house. Lucky, I have power available in it. No comm problems at all... It would never work with WF2SL as the distance and efi from the pool pump/equipment would kill it.

Robert
                    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Working...
                    X