Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for irrigation suggestions for HS3

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking for irrigation suggestions for HS3

    I have HS3 running and want to bring the irrigation into the system. The obvious is the Rain8, however it is a serial based solution. Unfortunately, I'm running on am embedded server with no serial ports. HS3 only gives you the options of com 1, 2, or 3.

    What I would really like it to setup an irrigation controller that has either wifi support or that can use my existing z-wave controller. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

  • #2
    Hi,

    I can't think of an irrigation controller that has built-in z-wave or wifi. How about a WiFi to Serial controller (Global Cache WF2SL) along with the Rain8?

    Alternately, any relay that can switch the 24V for the valves should work. You could look at an Arduino based solution that incorporates wi-fi and relays. How many zones do you have? If you have a small number of zones, then a few of the Evolve LFM-20 may work as a z-wave solution, but it would get pretty pricy with a large number of zones. It also requires 120V to run.

    Cheers
    Al
    HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

    Comment


    • #3
      I suggest the EtherRain as it has direct IP control. No adapter needed. mcsSprinklers Pro supports it. There is also a set of scripts provided by EtherRain manufacturer for HS2. Don't know if they have or will be ported to HS3.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
        Don't know if they have or will be ported to HS3.
        There is a HS3 script now: http://www.quicksmart.com/qs_software.html#homeseer

        Cheers
        Al
        HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

        Comment


        • #5
          I have 2 EtherRains. 1 on wire, and 1 on a simple wireless bridge. Need another one and will probably go powerline. No trouble in the couple of years I've had the EtherRains, and support is very good. Highly recommend them.

          Comment


          • #6
            Somewhat off-topic, but still about building new system, so fits this thread perfectly.

            In general, without any limitations, what system do you guys consider top be the most easiest to implement and control? Is there such a thing as the gold standard, when it comes to irrigation hardware and software? Is there one system that has the most stable and thorough integration with HS3? Any one system that has the most solid plug-and-play controllers?

            My better half started up a garden, 10'x30', fully enclosed. Need a good system that you install once and forget. More importantly, something that SHE can manually control via HS3 / schedule via HS3...

            Comment


            • #7
              My 2 cents - OpenSprinkler is open source webbased irrigation controller.

              OpenSprinkler( 8zones $154) and Very inexpensive for expansion zones(adds 16 zones -$57) as compared to other options. There is also a free HS plugin with great support. Control via Lan or Wifi

              OpenSprinkler has its own tablet/pc webpage for controlling it without HS also. OpenSprinkler community is great too, very helpful folks there.

              http://rayshobby.net/cart/
              Tom
              baby steps...starting again with HS3
              HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
              HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
              Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
              In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
              System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

              Comment


              • #8
                You may want to look at this: http://opensprinkler.com

                It can be programmed/controlled via iOS, Android & web browser. And there is a plug-in for HS3.

                I have 23 irrigation zones and it has worked great for me.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Guys,
                  Thank you for your suggestions. It's interesting that both of you chose the same open source system. Typically, I'd shy away from open source due to poor after sales support. Given your enthusiasm and satisfaction, I'm definitely intrigued. But they're the controller people. What's the choice when it comes to other hardware? I have no idea what to choose. My greenhouse isn't huge, with no overhead irrigation necessary. But do I need a reservoir tank, pipes, etc? Or is it all done with valves and tiny hoses? I appreciate any and all advice. I'm looking for the high quality and ease of use stuff, not cutting costs or corners. Thank you, in advance.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by VirtualPanther View Post
                    Guys,
                    Thank you for your suggestions. It's interesting that both of you chose the same open source system. Typically, I'd shy away from open source due to poor after sales support. Given your enthusiasm and satisfaction, I'm definitely intrigued. But they're the controller people. What's the choice when it comes to other hardware? I have no idea what to choose. My greenhouse isn't huge, with no overhead irrigation necessary. But do I need a reservoir tank, pipes, etc? Or is it all done with valves and tiny hoses? I appreciate any and all advice. I'm looking for the high quality and ease of use stuff, not cutting costs or corners. Thank you, in advance.
                    Opensprinkler is open-source but not run like one. The guy is dedicated and has had constant improvement since the very first model and the AWESOME support is better and any professional company I've seen.

                    I'm currently redesigning my entire system. My plan is to go with Hunter valves( top of the line brand) then 1 in PVC mains( I have a large property) which gets reduced to 3/4 in laterals then Drip Irrigation for all beds, potted plants, small trees( if needed), Palms, etc. The lawn will have Hunter Sprinkler heads( between 10-20' spray heads) only where absolutely necessary. The main goal is to reduce waste of water that usually happens with small and large spray heads, and substitute drip irrigation where ever possible. Drip irrigation is completely diy, cost efficient as well as reduces waste. Drip irrigation comes in two types. One where you puncture the main 1/2 tube with a spout for an individual plant( of any size) and another kind of drip tube has built in perforations every so often(like a soaker hose).
                    I've got a well so my worry isn't the cost of water but just purely a way to reduce the massive waste of water that sprinklers cause. The other part is excess water also rots fences, creates fungus and other problems for lawns/plants.
                    Tom
                    baby steps...starting again with HS3
                    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TomTom View Post
                      Drip irrigation comes in two types. One where you puncture the main 1/2 tube with a spout for an individual plant( of any size) and another kind of drip tube has built in perforations every so often(like a soaker hose).
                      You can also get micro sprinklers that can be used for pots and other tight areas where the perforated tubes or individual drippers sometimes don't make the most sense. These can be extended via 1/4" tube from the main 1/2" tube and can even be branched a couple of times using "T" junctions.
                      cheeryfool

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TomTom View Post
                        My plan is to go with Hunter valves( top of the line brand) then 1 in PVC mains( I have a large property) which gets reduced to 3/4 in laterals then Drip Irrigation for all beds, potted plants, small trees( if needed), Palms, etc. The lawn will have Hunter Sprinkler heads( between 10-20' spray heads) only where absolutely necessary. The main goal is to reduce waste of water that usually happens with small and large spray heads, and substitute drip irrigation where ever possible. Drip irrigation is completely diy, cost efficient as well as reduces waste. Drip irrigation comes in two types. One where you puncture the main 1/2 tube with a spout for an individual plant( of any size) and another kind of drip tube has built in perforations every so often(like a soaker hose).
                        I've got a well so my worry isn't the cost of water but just purely a way to reduce the massive waste of water that sprinklers cause. The other part is excess water also rots fences, creates fungus and other problems for lawns/plants.
                        I have a well as well. Does this mean that some sort of reservoir is better to be used, in order to have a sustained water pressure? Mine is not bad for the house...
                        For a smaller property, or rather, not even for the whole property but for a 10x30 "planter" in a greenhouse, I will have a bunch of different plants, with different water needs. However, given the not-so-huge size, should I still run PVC and branch off with perforated or to-the-point houses? Where do all of these pipes and houses originate? Just as a split-off from any water spigot outside? I was going to run a dedicated water pipe from the house straight into the greenhouse, with a valve inside the house. Not sure how best to go from there...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Forgot to ask one more thing: is there a system that integrated soil moisture sensors? It seems quite tempting to use the moisture level as a trigger in HS to turn irrigation on or disable it during rainy days.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by VirtualPanther View Post
                            I have a well as well. Does this mean that some sort of reservoir is better to be used, in order to have a sustained water pressure? Mine is not bad for the house...
                            For a smaller property, or rather, not even for the whole property but for a 10x30 "planter" in a greenhouse, I will have a bunch of different plants, with different water needs. However, given the not-so-huge size, should I still run PVC and branch off with perforated or to-the-point houses? Where do all of these pipes and houses originate? Just as a split-off from any water spigot outside? I was going to run a dedicated water pipe from the house straight into the greenhouse, with a valve inside the house. Not sure how best to go from there...
                            Usually when on a well system, it is recommend to have a pump just for the sprinklers. Most wells have 2 pump, 2 pressure tank setup. 1 pump/press tank for the well, and 1 pump/press tank for the house. Since your area is small you wouldn't need a separate pump or a reservoir(Pressure Tank). Even if you have only one pump/pressure tank in your whole system, you still don't need a separate pressure tank if you do the watering at none peak water use times- again cause your area is small. Also if you have only 1 pump/press tank in your whole system and you want to be able to water at anytime of day then either add a pressure tank or increase the size of your existing tank.
                            Yes, just find someplace close to your greenhouse that you can tap into an outside water line ( at least 3/4in pipe), then from there run that pipe into a sprinkler valve box (home depot), then install X number of valves depending on how many zones you need. All you would need for the greenhouse is drip irrigation type.
                            Tom
                            baby steps...starting again with HS3
                            HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                            HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                            Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                            In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                            System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              sorry forgot to add this.
                              Tap into a water line at least 3/4-1" somewhere.
                              ***Put a backflow preventer ******(that way if dirt gets into the sprinkler water line it won't find its way to the main water system)
                              Run into valve box,
                              then as posted above.

                              Also check out this site. They have a diy guide that you should read.
                              http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/DI...ion-s/5713.htm
                              Tom
                              baby steps...starting again with HS3
                              HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                              HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                              Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                              In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                              System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X