Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather Underground API Call Syntax Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather Underground API Call Syntax Change?

Hi Michael, to the best of your knowledge, has there been any changes with the WU API calls? I ask this because I began receiving eMails from WU that I've been exceeding my daily 500 API call quota. This began happening just after I installed the MCSSprinkler plugin on HS3 earlier this month.

I've inserted my WU Weather Station ID in the Optional Alternate Forecast Source (along with the API key) as I've done in the past with HS2. That's when I begin seeing this issue, along with not receiving any forecast updates. On my WU API analytics page, I'm seeing incorrect API calls being reported coincident with the MCSSPrinklers forecast update request. I'm began thinking that the quota issue may be the result of MCSSprinklers continuing to try and update the forecast using an incorrect API call?

Over the last several days, I've been poking around the WU API site and learned that the API is expecting to see a "pws:" in front of the WU Station ID. Like this:

http://api.wunderground.com/api/{APIKEY}/conditions/forecast7day/q/pws:KCAXXXXXXX.json

Not sure how long that has been the case, but using this syntax, I am able to get the forecast.

As for MCSSprinklers, I updated the Weather setup page inserting the pws: in front of the Location ID. See the attached. I am now receiving updated forecasts without the WU API errors. Not sure if this was something you were aware of, but this was a quick fix for me for the time being.

Thanks,
    Craig
    Attached Files

I have a couple sites for testing the WU forecast using both the prior URL and current /api/ one and neither need the pws prefix. I am glad you found a solution for your situation. At this time I do not expect to change the software but if this becomes an issue with others then will need to research what the rules may be.

Comment

Working...
    X