No announcement yet.

Controller Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your choice. Jim is sending me a Rev C model so I should have mcsSprinkler updated in a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by cerjzc View Post
      Michael,

Thanks for the response. I did get a Rev C model built this month. If that is something you plan on adding soon I might hold onto it. If not I had thought about using a secondary device to power/control the Master valve, but it sounds like it would probably be easier to just return the 8 and get the 7P if that for sure will already work.

Thanks,
      Jeff
      I can vouch for EtherRain paired with the mcsSprinklers. Incredible flexibility and extremely stable from a hardware/communication perspective. And having the ability/flexibility to run separate cycles independent from either mcsSprinkerlers or HomeSeer is super helpful.

Solid choice. Mine have been running brilliantly for several years (knock wood). Both Jim and Michael have solid products and stand behind them.

Just my .02
      My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Michael,

As an update I spoke with Jim at quicksmart and he sent me the instructions on "converting" my ER-8 to the ER-7P. So it sounds like I wouldn't have to send it back anyway and since I only need the 7 zones I should be able to switch it over to the ER-7P and if that will work directly with mcsSprinklers I will go ahead and do that and see about getting it installed tomorrow.

He has been very prompt with answering questions and getting the device shipped to me, so far I have been very impressed.

Thanks,
        Jeff

Comment

Sounds good. Until I update mcsSprinklers to Rec C firmware you will be able to control one zone at a time. May be sufficient in the long term or at least in the near term for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
            Sounds good. Until I update mcsSprinklers to Rec C firmware you will be able to control one zone at a time.
            I just purchased two of the EtherRain 8 products. I told Jim that you might be willing to create the software to support operation of multiple valves at once as I would like to do this. He said he would send a unit to you with the latest firmware. So, you should get one with the latest firmware any day now.

Comment

So if you have 9 zones as I do, I would need to buy 2 units then? - much like I have with Rain8Nets... Wish there was a 12 zone unit or something like that.
              While I don't need to replace my Rain8Nets as they work perfectly now, it would be nice to know of an upgrade path should they die...

I wonder if there's a network device I could just add to control one zone?... Anyone know?

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Yes, you would need two units as there are 8 zones per unit for the EtherRain 8. You would also need two network connections.

Comment

Here many years ago transitioned from a Rainbird ESP to mcsSprinklers with 2 Rain8Nets for 10 zones. Gutted the Rainbird box and installed two Rain8Nets inside of it running one long serial cable (cat5e with baluns) to the Homeseer 2 box. Run was ~ 150 feet or so.

Over the years went to install mcsSprinklers on a small footprint Seagate Dockstart with Dockstar Debian and Mono with a POE Gb connection to the Seagate Dockstar. It all fit just fine inside of the Rainbird box. I used the cat5e I ran for the serial link and made it a POE Gb wire.

You can do the same today using an RPi to run mcsSprinklers remotely or locally talking to two Rain8Nets.

For the EtherRain 8 you could also purchase a network one to two splitter which would work fine but is not recommended over the use of a small switch.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I wonder if there's a network device I could just add to control one zone?... Anyone know?
                    The Sonoff's are WiFi network connected. 4 channels per module @ $30/module. Also 1 channel at $7, but single channel needs a hardware hack to remove the mains from the relay. mcsTasmota firmware turns them into irrigation relay that are able to run their own program as a backup when slaved to mcsSprinklers.

The Odroid C1 and Raspberry Pi has ability to interface 26 relays and I have seen 16 channel relay boards for under $15. mcsSprinklers will run in the RPi/C1 or the RPi/C1 could run program that emulates Sonoff (i.e responds to MQTT messages) and let mcsSprinklers run in another computer.

When I needed an additional zone for a scarecrow I used an UPB appliance module that turned on/off a 120V relay with contacts connected to the 24VAC irrigation valve. The same approach can be used with any lighting technology. There may be wired network relay, but I have not seen a dominant one to use for mcsSprinklers.

The recently added GoControl has 15 zones and HST sells them for $60. This is Zwave, only works under HS3 and does not provide status of a relay being on or off, but is the cheapest @ $4/relay that I have seen.

Comment

Thanks Michael!

So many options now...

Robert
                      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Robert, there is also an option to use the Sonoff 4CH Pro R2 to control up to 3 zones with each Sonoff and control this with a RFXCOM RFXtrx433/E/XL.
                        https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SONO...916132713.html
                        As the 433MHz RF is a one way communication there is no feed back but it has proven to be a reliable solution for 2 years now in my garden and never failed. By adding some sensors you can measure the soil humidity or water supplied.

The Opus300/Imagintronix soil sensors are supported. Maximum 3 Opus300/Imagintronix sensors can be used as the sensor has only 3 channels.
                        http://www.plantcaretools.com/produc...isture-sensor/

To know if and how much water is supplied use a rain sensor which can also be received by the RFXCOM, for example:
                        Oregon PCR800, RGR126N, TFA 30.3148, Alecto WS1200,

Comment

Working...
                        X