External On, Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External On, Question...

Michael, this afternoon I had a zone (zone 6 out of 7) come on outside the normal schedule. I checked the log and it said "External On" for that zone. I have never noticed this happening before. Yes, I do have remote control configured and sometimes use a Palm-Pad to turn zones on/off when outside. Just not in this case, but is possible I guess to get a spurious signal that would do the deed.

My questions is, is there any way to check via script to see if a specific zone came on Automatically (as scheduled) or Manually? Obviously, since you post such in the log, your plugin knows the difference. Is that information set someplace that could be tested?

Thanks
    Gary

It is stored in the Log table of the database. This table contains Device Code, Date, and Status. A scripted query could be used.

I keep my remote inhibited except when I am actually using palmpad to test out zones.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      It is stored in the Log table of the database. This table contains Device Code, Date, and Status. A scripted query could be used.
      Thanks for the pointer Michael, I will give it a shot to see what happens.

I keep my remote inhibited except when I am actually using palmpad to test out zones.
      I may have to resort to that. I hate to, because my wife frequently uses the Palmpad for testing her drip zones and testing head function. I doubt I could she would remember how to turn it on.

Thanks
      Gary

Comment

If you find you have just one or two problematic RF device codes then you could map different ones. Another idea is add ability to selectively inhibit remote codes to reduce the set of those enabled only to what you wife uses. If there is a different technology is used other than X10 then those button could be used be used as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
          If you find you have just one or two problematic RF device codes then you could map different ones. Another idea is add ability to selectively inhibit remote codes to reduce the set of those enabled only to what you wife uses.
          Good suggestion! I looked over my log, and in the past year I have only had this one (confirmed) instance of this happening. If it becomes a trend, and hits my main zones, then I may adopt this approach.

If there is a different technology is used other than X10 then those button could be used be used as well.
          This is interesting and thought provoking. I am unaware of any non-X10 RF solutions. I guess a Z-Wave (type) PalmPad is intriguing, if it could provide adequate range. A quick google didn't reveal any though. Did you have something specific in mind?

I guess another approach would be to use my 8th zone (unused) on my PalmPad to "turn-on" remote control, with a (reasonable) time limit, and then only allow remote control if it is during that time period. I suspect there are other, more innovative, approaches out-there.

Thanks again
          Gary

Comment

Working...
          X