Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can this plugin be used with Arduino controlled relays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this plugin be used with Arduino controlled relays?

Hi. I was wondering if this plugin can now use arduino controlled relays that are visible in HS via the arduino plugin. For very large numbers of zones, the arduino controlled relays are very inexpensive, and the local code can be equipped with failsafes for zones running too long etc...

thx
    mike

Yes it can handle any HS device. I suggest the So off 4CH Pro which is 4 relays on WiFi control for $30. The mcsTasmota firmware in the Sonoff already has the logic to protect from valve on too long and too long since valve has been turned on.

mcsSprinklers also has the relay control logic for Raspberry Pi and Odroid C1 so with the appropriate hat can have something like 20 valves. This is likely the cheapest way, but I like the additional external monitoring with the microcontroller.

Comment

Mike, thanks...

I used to run mcssprinkers, but transitioned to one of the app based controllers due to WAF issues... But now am building a new house that may end up with something like 39 zones (!), and none of the app based systems can handle something like that.

That's also why I am looking at things like 16 relay controllers. I like the ability to have the microcontroller impose safety limits etc..., but that can be accommodated in Arduino and Raspberry Pi logic.

thx
      mike

Comment

If RPi runs mcsSprinklers and also runs a monitoring application then you have many common mode failures. The microcontroller in the Arduino, Sonoff or any other independent device have fewer single point failures at low reliability points. The communication channel that is introduced with independence of the architecture is the negative.

Comment

Reading the answer above, it looks like mcsSprinklers can be used with any relay controlled valve, as long as it can be controlled by HS in some form. I have my sprinkler valves connected to relays that are controlled by my Omni Pro automation panel. The outputs that control the relays are accessible using the HS Omni plugin. Am I correct that I would be able to use mcsSprinklers to control the valves via the devices created by the Omni plugin?
          My system is described in my profile.

Comment

Yes you can. In HS1 and HS2 it was done with an API call to set a device ON or OFF. With HS3 a CAPI API was developed and each plugin author decides what commands should be used to control it's plugin's devices. Most I have run into use On and Off. If the Omni does something else (e.g. arm/disarm) then I can update mcsSprinklers to include it.

Comment

Working...
            X