Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go control-- some issues

Hi,
    So I got around to trying to use the GoControl tonight directly from the plugin.

I upgraded the plugin per your instructions and I saw the GoControl in the device setup. So far, so good.

I found the address of the Go Control root device in the device/advance options and pasted that in. I remove my old virtual devices (J1-J12) and saved it.

The plugin appears to have found the controller. It created the devices I named from the wiring page for each valve.

I try controlling the sprinklers from the devices. I get the following warnings...
    06 8:57:53 PM mcsSprinklers SetRain8Zone: Device R1 is associated with Rain8 Unit GOC:1 rather than a Net Device
    Aug-06 8:57:53 PM Device Control Device: Rain8 Inner Bushes to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
    Aug-06 8:57:25 PM mcsSprinklers Attempting to send 289 to Rain8, which is too large
    Aug-06 8:57:25 PM mcsSprinklers Attempting to send 289 to Rain8, which is too large
    Aug-06 8:54:33 PM mcsSprinklers SetRain8Zone: Device R1 is associated with Rain8 Unit GOC:1 rather than a Net Device
    What is interesting in that if I control the valve directly from the GoControl device, it picks it up in the plugin as an external event.
    Aug-06 9:09:32 PM mcsSprinklers R3(Rain8 Front Lawn 1) External ON
    Aug-06 9:09:32 PM Device Control Device: Basement Water Closet Sprinker Controller Valve to Off (1283) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

I turned on log inhibits and don't see anything. Any ideas of where I could be going wrong?

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Sorry I missed this earlier. It looks as if the plugin thinks a Rain8Net device has been setup.

Did you do Save from Wiring and then Layout pages. It should be required to get your setup to the point of having zone control.

Having a look at mcsSprinklers.ini will help with diagnosis. The debug file would also be good. I do not know how to control directly from GoControl. My unit does not have any buttons.

Comment

Hi,
      The menu items appeared correct in the settings.

I deleted my config file and restarted HS and MCSSprinklers. I went through the setup selections again and the menu items appeared slightly different. I set up the GoControl and now it seems to operate properly.. I can control the valves from the device view and they are working great!

I had a Rain8 Configured long ago but since moved.

Hopefully, I remember how to set up all the weather settings.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

I am still getting the message "mcsSprinklers Attempting to send 289 to Rain8, which is too large". Did the clean install and not using the Rain8 anymore: just the Go Control. I can control the values just fine from the HS device.
        Last edited by wpiman; August 24, 2018, 01:33 PM.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

The Rain8 is likely a red herring as it comes from a decimal to hex utility, but I do not know why GoControl would be calling it. Can you post mcsSprinklers.ini? If you have debug then it may help too.

Comment

I had to change the file extension..
            Attached Files

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

I'm looking at this too! FINALLY replaced my RainBird with GoControl and really dislike the interface!!!

Comment

I looked at the configuration file and see only GoControl units exist.
                I used your file and changed the Zwave address to match mine and ran both auto and manual modes connected to debugger and did not see any calls to the routine that produces the message.
                I looked for all calls to this routine and they occur in xAP processing and status processing as part of a debug statement. I suspect you are seeing it from the debug. I protected from overflow there in 2.18.4.1 which has been submitted to updater. Expect HST to get to it in a couple days or pick up mcsSprinklers_2009.dll from http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsSprinklers_2_18_4_1_HS3.zip

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                  I looked at the configuration file and see only GoControl units exist.
                  I used your file and changed the Zwave address to match mine and ran both auto and manual modes connected to debugger and did not see any calls to the routine that produces the message.
                  I looked for all calls to this routine and they occur in xAP processing and status processing as part of a debug statement. I suspect you are seeing it from the debug. I protected from overflow there in 2.18.4.1 which has been submitted to updater. Expect HST to get to it in a couple days or pick up mcsSprinklers_2009.dll from http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsSprinklers_2_18_4_1_HS3.zip
                  Great! Thanks again.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
                    I'm looking at this too! FINALLY replaced my RainBird with GoControl and really dislike the interface!!!
                    What do you particularly dislike? The fact that you don't have individual devices? MCS Sprinklers will solve that issue.

It also obfuscates the fact that you set each zone for a period of time. I'd be interested to see how MCS Sprinklers would handle it if I set a zone for longer than one hour.

It is a pretty cheaper controller and supports Zwave plus. Jury is still a little out for me, but basically all I need is a reliable valve control. Only time will tell if it is reliable.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

I'd be interested to see how MCS Sprinklers would handle it if I set a zone for longer than one hour.
                      I did not make any special provisions for it. Totally overlooked it. As now implemented it will command the unit to 768x so the relay will run for 60 minutes. mcsSprinklers will not know it had a timeout at 60 since there is no status feedback. mcsSprinklers will later send an OFF when it's over-hour time has expired. Likely the easiest way for a user to deal with the case now is to run the area in round-robin so that each round-robin cycle will be 60 minutes or less.

Comment

Only time will tell if it is reliable.
                        I just expanded my irrigation field by 6 zones and used a pair of the Sonoff 4CH Pro ($30 per 4 relays). With these I have achieved the architecture I have been wanting since moving mcsSprinklers to smaller devices. The Sonoff should be a very reliable microcontroller with only dependency being power. If mcsSprinklers fails to turn off a relay then the Sonoff will do it itself. This is similar to other irrigation controllers such as Rain8 or EtherRain (and GoControl). In addition if mcsSprinklers fails to provide a new forecast or a new command the the Sonoff will starts its own interval schedule. This protects from all the issues of a networked general purpose computer doing irrigation. There are just so many things that can happen because of all the dependencies that general purpose computers have. Of course time will tell if reality follows theory.

Comment

Is there anything written anywhere how to get one of these
                          Sonoff 4CH Pro working
                          with mcsSprinklers

I just expanded my irrigation field by 6 zones and used a pair of the Sonoff 4CH Pro ($30 per 4 relays). With these I have achieved the architecture I have been wanting since moving mcsSprinklers to smaller devices. The Sonoff should be a very reliable microcontroller with only dependency being power. If mcsSprinklers fails to turn off a relay then the Sonoff will do it itself. This is similar to other irrigation controllers such as Rain8 or EtherRain (and GoControl). In addition if mcsSprinklers fails to provide a new forecast or a new command the the Sonoff will starts its own interval schedule. This protects from all the issues of a networked general purpose computer doing irrigation. There are just so many things that can happen because of all the dependencies that general purpose computers have. Of course time will tell if reality follows theory.

Sonoff 4CH Pro

Comment

I have not updated the mcsSprinklers manual for MQTT. The mcsMQTT manual includes the 4CH PRO update for irrigation control.

The Devices/Interfaces page of mcsSpriinklers has text boxes to specify the MQTT commands and status.

The bigger effort is to flash mcsTasmota into the Sonoff. There are many ways to do it with discussions in the mcsMQTT forum as well as many YouTube videos. Pete an I have done it for those who do not like to tinker with hardware. It can now be done without opening the case with SonOTA.exe, but need to open the case anyway to set the DIP switches so the Sonoff runs as four independent relays.

I added six irrigatiion zones to my location this year and have been very happy with the two Sonoff 4CH Pro used for this expansion.

Comment

Thank you very much. So all I need to purchase is the sonoff and the mcssprinklers plugin?

I guess the 4 channel will work if I have 3 zones and Master valve?

Daryl

I have not updated the mcsSprinklers manual for MQTT. The mcsMQTT manual includes the 4CH PRO update for irrigation control.

The Devices/Interfaces page of mcsSpriinklers has text boxes to specify the MQTT commands and status.

The bigger effort is to flash mcsTasmota into the Sonoff. There are many ways to do it with discussions in the mcsMQTT forum as well as many YouTube videos. Pete an I have done it for those who do not like to tinker with hardware. It can now be done without opening the case with SonOTA.exe, but need to open the case anyway to set the DIP switches so the Sonoff runs as four independent relays.

I added six irrigatiion zones to my location this year and have been very happy with the two Sonoff 4CH Pro used for this expansion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X