No announcement yet.

simultaneous valve operation with EtherRain8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes that is correct. The 8 and the 7P is the same device. And switching between 7P and 8 modus can be done with the configuring tool. That's the feedback i've got.
    So i think in my case i just can use the 8 modus and configure one valve as the pump control.
    I already ordered it.

Comment

Is the behavior of the EtherRain modules different under manual control vs. mcsSprinklers schedule control?
      I am in the process of testing new EtherRain-8. Using the general status page I can run two zones at once if they are not on the same control module, but I have not been able to run two zones on the same module at the same time. When I turn two zones on manually, the second one does not actually turn on until the first one is turned off if they are on the same module.

Click image for larger version

Name:	area.png
Views:	93
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	1378922
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

The Rev C firmware of the EtherRain provides a new API that allows the valves to operate independently. mcsSprinklers looks at the firmware revision and will use the protocol based upon the firmware. I believe it also enforces one valve per module for the original API and tries its best to schedule by looking at all available modules when an irrigation slot is available. With Rev C there are no restrictions.

In manual mode valves are sequenced one at a time. The pump is managed, but other auto mode features are disabled such as round robin. I did add an Area manual mode that runs with manual mode times and will do round robin. I would need to look if this would allow multiple zones to run together with restrictions based upon water flow or valve count. I notice now that the UI for the Area Auto button only exists for HS. I need to add this button to the standalone UI.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
          In manual mode valves are sequenced one at a time. The pump is managed, but other auto mode features are disabled such as round robin. I did add an Area manual mode that runs with manual mode times and will do round robin. I would need to look if this would allow multiple zones to run together with restrictions based upon water flow or valve count.
          That was my assumption. I have been using Rain8Net, and am used to the limitation, but wondered if it was different with EtherRain. The only time that becomes an issue is in the Fall. My irrigation company does a blow-out of the lines at the end of the season to prevent freeze damage, and they always complain because they can only open one valve at a time. They want to open valve 2 before valve 1 is done, then close valve 1 and open valve 3, etc. I just nod and shrug, but it'd be nice to surprise them.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Uncle Michael Were you not able to turn on multiple zones at the same time with Rain8Net? On mine I can do that with Michael's plug in. In any case your landscapers have been spoiled They could just find the valve box outside and manually twist the vales open themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by cjin View Post
              Uncle Michael Were you not able to turn on multiple zones at the same time with Rain8Net? On mine I can do that with Michael's plug in.
              I could run multiple zones at once when mcsSprinklers was controlling them in a schedule. I could run only one at a time when controlled manually, on the General Status page, for example.

In any case your landscapers have been spoiled They could just find the valve box outside and manually twist the vales open themselves.
              It turns out I have 21 zones, and the zone valves are scatter all over the yard. Many of the box covers are now invisible because the lawn has covered them. The only practical solution is to control them with a wireless device. The tech comes with their own radio handset, but it is designed for use with the controllers they sell, so they're stuck with whatever control I can provide.

Comment

The only time that becomes an issue is in the Fall. My irrigation company does a blow-out of the lines at the end of the season to prevent freeze damage, and they always complain because they can only open one valve at a time. They want to open valve 2 before valve 1 is done, then close valve 1 and open valve 3, etc. I just nod and shrug, but it'd be nice to surprise them.
                What do you propose? Something like scheduling two zone at a time with a a time skew between each until all valves of the site are done?
                Time 0 - Z1 On
                Time 1 - Z2 On
                Time 2 - Z1 Off, Z3 On
                Time 3 - Z2 Off, Z4 On
                etc
                where the time delta and Blowout mode on/off controls are user provided?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                  What do you propose?
                  Michael, thank you for giving the issue some thought, but I'm not really proposing anything special. When I first started using mcsSprinklers (in prehistoric times) it was possible to randomly address any zone regardless of whether another zone or zones was running. I assume you added the restriction limiting to one zone at a time because people were not paying attention and damaging their transformers. It's a trade-off and I have no desire to create a special case to address this issue. If you had a quick solution in your pocket I wouldn't object, but I certainly do not desire a cumbersome (for you) effort to deal with this.

Comment

I purchased the Etherrain-7P as I have a system with a master valve. When I chose it in MCSSprinklers I only see 7 valves so I assumed the 8th (master) would come on whenever any of the others came on. I am manually running the zones and even tried to run the system in Auto and I have verified the individual valve is getting voltage but the main valve never energizes.
                    I feel like I am probably just missing something simple in the setup, but I don't see how to assign this "Pump" valve in the 7P as the Pump in MCSSprinklers. Can anyone kick me in the right direction?

Comment

The 7P firmware turns the 8th valve to match the needs of the other 7. Suggest you contact Quickmart to diagnose why the 8th valve is not being slaved to the others. The product with Rev C firmware operates differently than the earlier versions, but the 8th valve operation should not be affected.

mcsSprinklers does not attempt to control the 8th valve when it recognizes the unit to be a 7P vs. 8.

Comment

Working...
                      X