Weather Underground Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather Underground Service

Today I received email that confirms the termination of the API service provided by Weather Underground. The email also contained the following
    • For developers who use WU API data for non-commercial purposes, you will have access to a new plan for a personal use, low call volume API. Stay tuned for more details as we build this out.
    I expect to remove WU as one of the service provider options, but may reintroduce it later depending upon future communications from IBM.

The email also contained the following for those who provide the data (i.e. own weather stations). It is not clear if this will affect current provider that you may have used should a viable non-commercial use terms be established

• If you are a Personal Weather Station owner, you will receive more information about our plan to offer free access to the data you provide to Weather Underground. We'll reach out once that plan has been finalized.

Michael, I understand that paid subscribers to WU will be provided continued use of the existing API until the replacement is made available. With the lack of clarity of IBMs intentions, it would be helpful if you didn't disable support for the WU API prematurely.

Comment

I have not utilized WUN in a couple of years now. Logged in to my account and it shows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wun.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	1270594
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I will wait a bit, but I think the API will no longer exists based upon this additional content in the email.
        • If you are a paying WU API customer, you will receive a call from a representative from The Weather Company, and IBM business, to discuss transition options to other API services. If you'd like to have these conversations sooner, contact us.

Comment

On my Linux laptops have been using Gnome Extensions and a weather add using Dark Sky or OpenWeather dot com which has done well. I mentioned this earlier relating to the WeatherXML plugin.

For the Ubuntu KODI boxes weather stuff also using OpenWeather these days.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Openweather.jpg Views:	1 Size:	42.8 KB ID:	1271188

I abandoned use of WUN when weather channel purchased them and at that time went to using NOAA / CWOP.

Only thing about CWOP is that it is all volunteer. Still seems a bit neglected these days.

I was also using Unisys weather for a bunch of stuff and that too has changed much in the last couple of years.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I was considering purchasing an etherrain but I’m curious what weather stations can be used with the mcssprinklers plugin. I currently have a ambient weather system that uploads to pws weather and the above mentioned wunderground. It also uploads to ambientweather site which has an api.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Now I have NWS, OpenWeatherMap, Accuweather, APIXU, Legacy Weather Underground and EPA as cloud based weather services. I expect to adapt WU to new API for those who want to pay for the license from IBM.

I also have provisions for XML based download from a user-specified URL. Local weather stations WeatherHawk and Davis Vantage Pro. Local provisions are CSV and XML file.

In the past many users have used the CSV file formats and had their local weather station produce data files on their interfaced computer. I thought Ambient provided this capability, but not positive.

If there is a published API for Ambient and you are willing to do the testing then I can add this one as well to mcsSprinlkers.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                Now I have NWS, OpenWeatherMap, Accuweather, APIXU, Legacy Weather Underground and EPA as cloud based weather services. I expect to adapt WU to new API for those who want to pay for the license from IBM.

I also have provisions for XML based download from a user-specified URL. Local weather stations WeatherHawk and Davis Vantage Pro. Local provisions are CSV and XML file.

In the past many users have used the CSV file formats and had their local weather station produce data files on their interfaced computer. I thought Ambient provided this capability, but not positive.

If there is a published API for Ambient and you are willing to do the testing then I can add this one as well to mcsSprinlkers.

I’ll put some links here. Message me if you need more information.

I would be happy to test or attempt to test.

https://ambientweather.docs.apiary.i...t-realtime-api

https://www.ambientweather.com/api.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The first step in the instructions is to apply for a developer license and then a user license. This tells me that this API is a cloud service and not local access the weather station.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                    The first step in the instructions is to apply for a developer license and then a user license. This tells me that this API is a cloud service and not local access the weather station.
                    Don’t worry about it. No biggie.

I’ll use something else.

Just looking for another option as wundeground isnt very good.
                    I can access my own weather station as I tried one of the other ambient weather plugins and it works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Michael,

Any thought about integrating World Weather Online?
                      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

II had not looked at until now. Seems similar to APIXU and Open Weather Map. The downside is that it does not appear to be free but $5/month for the economy version. What s preferred with this over the others that provide international data.

Comment

Working...
                        X