Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stand alone vs plug in?

Happy Thanksgiving!

I remember reading in a threat that running mcsSprinkler as stand alone, with a weaker coupling to HS through xAP, makes the system more stable than running it as a HS plug in.

I currently run mcsSprinkler as a HS plug in. Besides using HS rain sensor, rain gauge etc, the only thing I need HS for the sprinkler is once a year I run an event to blow out sprinkler before winter (turn on one zone for a 1 min, wait for 5 min to let compressor regard, then more on to next zone etc). Would it be easy to do the same thing in HS if I run stand alone version instead of a plug in?

I run mcsSprinklers as a stand alone on a separate computer and use xAP to couple to HS. It works well and has been quite reliable. I like the combination because it decouples the sprinkler control from HS, allowing it to run autonomously.

What I don't like is that setting up mcsXap involves a learning curve. It's not difficult, but it can be a pain because it's not entirely intuitive for me. Unfortunately, whenever you move either HS or mcsSprinkers to a different box, you have to reconstruct the xAP link, which for me, involves relearning the details of setting up the interface. Not difficult, but it requires time and attention.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

As Uncle Michael indicated mcsSprinklers does support an automation interface. It has three forms. The original is xAP protocol and scripting. Last year MQTT was also added as a protocol. Whatever you do with the pluign you should also be able to do with the standalone.

Comment

Working...
      X