Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS3 Area device controls not working as expected

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HS3 Area device controls not working as expected

    Michael,

    When a zone or area runs automatically, or when a zone is started manually via its HS device, my area devices' statuses update to reflect the zone/area being on. The icon updates to the active sprinkler and the string shows number of minutes remaining (*sort-of; see note below). Clicking the control buttons on the area devices, on the other hand, doesn't seem to do anything other than send a log entry.

    For example, clicking On on device 3432 Area 3 (Garden Drip) results in a Device Control log entry, but the zone doesn't start, the Area device control button doesn't change (become underlined), and the Sprinkler Status device doesn't change to On. Same for clicking Auto, as well as clicking off when the zone/area is running.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	22.2 KB ID:	1369576

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	18.1 KB ID:	1369575

    I believe this was working previously. I recall testing it when you explained that the zone control only initiates "manual" and not the round-robin configuration set for the area. Any thoughts on what's going on? I intend to give my SO access to the Area control in HS mobile to manually water the garden in between normal cycles.


    *Note on the Area string time remaining. When a zone is manually started, the Area device string initially updates correctly to reflect the manual watering time of the zone. Then a few seconds later it starts updating to the amount of time that would remain if the entire area were running. This isn't critical to my setup but wanted to pass it along in case it's something that needs to be adjusted.

    Thanks.
    -Wade

  • #2
    I believe the auto mode honors inhibits other than the start time. I can check if this does not explain it. Look at the General Status for the Site and Area inhibit for some other than time. If it does not explain it then I will look into the code to what the conditions are. The Area auto button is a relatively recent addition based upon a user request and I do not recall exactly what he/she requested.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      I believe the auto mode honors inhibits other than the start time. I can check if this does not explain it. Look at the General Status for the Site and Area inhibit for some other than time. If it does not explain it then I will look into the code to what the conditions are. The Area auto button is a relatively recent addition based upon a user request and I do not recall exactly what he/she requested.
      No inhibits other than time. And none of the controls are working: On, Auto, or Off.
      -Wade

      Comment


      • #4
        Give me you debug file and I will see what is happening.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
          Give me you debug file and I will see what is happening.
          Emailed. Thanks for looking at it.
          -Wade

          Comment


          • #6
            I looked at the debug log that had data for 3/12/2020 starting at midnight. The first attempt at control of irrigation with button push from HS was at 2:33 PM for zone R15. Later there was also control for R10. The debug contains a line line the following when HS commands mcsSprinklers to control something.

            Code:
            SetIO House=R, Device=15, Command=2, Brightness=0
            I also used your included .ini file and did the Auto button for Area 3 and confirmed that the zone in Area 3 started running and then the Area 3 Off button stopped it. The only filter between when HS calls mcsSprinklers (SetIOMulti procedure) and the above line going into the debug file is that the device commanded by HS belongs to MCSSPRINKLERSP. You can look at the Area 3 device from Device Management, Advanced tab and confirm the Interface property is set to MCSSPRINKLERSP. You will also see the Technology Address at the top of that tab set to S47 which is the mcsSprinklers identifier for the Area 3 device.

            mcsSprinklers created the devices and sets these properties and there should not be anything that would change them. I don't know what else you can check to see why HS is not forwarding the button push to mcsSprinklers. I can add a debug at the start of SetIOMulti before the filter, but don't see it doing much good if the Interface property has been confirmed to be intact. Other standard measures of new browser window and HS restart, but the latter begs the question of why did it happen and and will it occur again.

            While I was investigating I also looked at the Auto button logic and determined that all inhibits and times are ignored when the Auto button is used. In essence it is the same as the On button but uses the Auto times and will sequence scheduling just as Auto mode including round robin.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
              I looked at the debug log that had data for 3/12/2020 starting at midnight. The first attempt at control of irrigation with button push from HS was at 2:33 PM for zone R15. Later there was also control for R10. The debug contains a line line the following when HS commands mcsSprinklers to control something.

              Code:
              SetIO House=R, Device=15, Command=2, Brightness=0
              I also used your included .ini file and did the Auto button for Area 3 and confirmed that the zone in Area 3 started running and then the Area 3 Off button stopped it. The only filter between when HS calls mcsSprinklers (SetIOMulti procedure) and the above line going into the debug file is that the device commanded by HS belongs to MCSSPRINKLERSP. You can look at the Area 3 device from Device Management, Advanced tab and confirm the Interface property is set to MCSSPRINKLERSP. You will also see the Technology Address at the top of that tab set to S47 which is the mcsSprinklers identifier for the Area 3 device.

              mcsSprinklers created the devices and sets these properties and there should not be anything that would change them. I don't know what else you can check to see why HS is not forwarding the button push to mcsSprinklers. I can add a debug at the start of SetIOMulti before the filter, but don't see it doing much good if the Interface property has been confirmed to be intact. Other standard measures of new browser window and HS restart, but the latter begs the question of why did it happen and and will it occur again.

              While I was investigating I also looked at the Auto button logic and determined that all inhibits and times are ignored when the Auto button is used. In essence it is the same as the On button but uses the Auto times and will sequence scheduling just as Auto mode including round robin.
              Confirmed interface property and technology address for Area 3 and other Area devices. All good (technology address different, sequential).

              Always use Chrome. Tried Firefox but same...none of the 3 controls work for any of the Area devices, Device Control log entries were posted.

              Next I disabled the PI, restarted HS, and re-enabled the PI. No change.

              Re-verified that manual control at zone devices work correctly (on/off) and is reflected in associated Area device status/string. Yes.

              Bumfuzzled.
              -Wade

              Comment


              • #8
                The attached has two "SetIOMulti" lines going to the HS log (not the debug log) to see everything that HS is sending to the pluign. Give it a try and if the log shows these then we can figure out what has happened. Only one file in the attached to replace the one in your HS folder.

                If nothing goes to the log then the likely next step is to remove HSPI_MCSSPRINKLERS.exe and delete the mcsSprinklers devices using Device Management. Use the updater to download it again. It will not destroy what you have already setup other than the Device References will changed if you have any events tied to them.
                Attached Files

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                  The attached has two "SetIOMulti" lines going to the HS log (not the debug log) to see everything that HS is sending to the pluign. Give it a try and if the log shows these then we can figure out what has happened. Only one file in the attached to replace the one in your HS folder.

                  If nothing goes to the log then the likely next step is to remove HSPI_MCSSPRINKLERS.exe and delete the mcsSprinklers devices using Device Management. Use the updater to download it again. It will not destroy what you have already setup other than the Device References will changed if you have any events tied to them.
                  Installed the new .exe and tried each Area device's Auto button. Areas 2,3,4 did not log the SetIOMulti line. Area 1 turned on and also logged the SetIOMulti line. It's possible (likely?) that I had not tried Area 1 yesterday.

                  If I'm understanding your instructions correctly, I should now disable the PI, delete the .exe, delete all mcsSprinklers devices, and reinstall using the updater. Please confirm.

                  I understand that my events using the devices will be broken. They're temporary, for troubleshooting purposes so no big deal.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-03-14 100948.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1369866
                  -Wade

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This log shows that the Areas 2, 3 and 4 button was pressed for AUTO and OFF and HS did not call mcsSprinklers to make it happen.
                    When Area 1 button was pressed AUTO and OFF then mcsSprinklers wall called

                    For some reason HS has lost memory that these Area devices belonging to mcsSprinklers. I have no insight into HS manages this relationship so I am confirming the next step to remove mcsSprinklers from HS's memory by disabling the pluign, deleting all the mcsSprinklers devices, and then enabling mcsSprinklers. An even more drastic step is to install mcsSprinklers again from the updater, but I would only do if the first attempt did not result in the proper behavior. Using the same version that is now installed will provide immediate feedback in the HS log that it is working or not.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thank you Michael. I'll report back after it's done.
                      -Wade

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                        ...the next step to remove mcsSprinklers from HS's memory by disabling the pluign, deleting all the mcsSprinklers devices, and then enabling mcsSprinklers. Using the same version that is now installed will provide immediate feedback in the HS log that it is working or not.
                        Done, and Area device controls are now working. Thank you for helping me chase this down.

                        If/when I no longer want the verbose logging, should I reinstall from the updater or the version you linked in this post?

                        Thanks.
                        -Wade

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I will remove the additional debug in the next update. If things are behaving as you expect then the debug is no longer necessary. There was one function related to prediction when rainfall occurs, but functionally what is in the updater will control the same as the latest version being used for debug.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Understood.
                            -Wade

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X