Soil moisture update problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soil moisture update problem

I recently upgraded to v2.20 and am running v2.20.0.12. I have selected update soil% on auto only on the Site setup page, but when I run a zone manually the soil is being set to 100%. Is there something else I need to change?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Update.png
Views:	168
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	1387521
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

There should not be anything else that comes to memory. I will need to investigate.

Comment

Just discovered a new wrinkle. If I run the same zone manually on two consecutive days, the second day it does not change the soil moisture %. Running another zone manually, though, results in that zone being updated to 100%.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I forgot about looking into in until I saw your second post. I did the evaluation myself and got what was expected. There are two additional things that come into play. One is the sync moisture all zones in an Area which is in the Misc section of the Other Page. The second is the hourly update of moisture content based upon the rainfall that occurred in the past hour.

If the above does not explain it then you can provide the debug log for analysis.

Comment

I also have a moisture update problem, but not the same. Mine is that it is that it isn't declining fast enough. It has been sunny and warm here, even hot yesterday, yet the moisture has only declined from 100% to 76% in the last several days. My lawn has been turning brown. I don't know exactly when it started, but it has certainly been an issue this spring. I know there have been a number of changes to the weather providers recently. I've tried Open Weather Map and WeatherStack as optional alternate Weather Source and I've tried NWS/NOAA and AccuWeather as Optional Alternate Forecast Sources. At the moment, I have UV coming from WeatherStack and Solar and ET calculated from UV.

At this point, to prevent my lawn from dying, I'll probably change it to water at 90% calculated moisture, instead of 75%, which has worked in past years.

Thanks.

Comment

Moisture calculation is dependent upon the weather sensors and most importantly the UV. Look at the mcsSprinklers calendar for history of the UV sensor. The hourly trend for a sunny day should ramp up to 9'ish as the sun rises and then decrease as the sun falls. More specific info can be learned from the General debug if you have that enabled and want to post a recent debug file.

Comment

I think you on onto something. The UV Sensor is 0, if I click in the calendar, it is Max=0 for all of this year. If I go to Weather Setup, UV is set to WS. I have a WeatherStack License/API Key. If I click "Evaluate Internet Download from Selected Stations" then I see two "Internet Site" columns, the first for NWS, which has a blank UV, the second for WS, which has 10 for UV. (It is hot and sunny here as I type this.) Is it possible that the blank NWS one is being used instead of the WS value of 10?

If I click on annual, it looks like it stopped updating in March. There the weekly max shows as 4 back in February, even though the daily totals for the entire year shows 0 every day.
              Last edited by Beltane; May 26, 2020, 08:20 PM. Reason: More information - I found the "annual" button.

Comment

You select the specific UV source in the Weather setup with a radio button. Easiest way to help is if you post your mcsSprinklers.ini or email to mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net.

WeatherStack was added this year so I do not have much experience wit it.

Comment

Looking at your data I see that OWM was removed as a potential UV source when I recognized that it was not included in the current conditions download. What I forgot is that it is available in a separate download for UV only. What is reported is a UV max for the day as had been done by EPA when they first starting providing this data. Since it a max forecast I have mcsSprinklers fit a hourly profile so the UV sensor reports current rather than max as is shown in the Evaluate Download data.

I restored this as a potential source with 2.20.0.17, but I would recommend you continue with WeatherStack as the UV source as the current UV rather than max UV is being reported.

Comment

/.

Comment

I'd like this as well... you need to remove the trailing / for your link. Here's mine https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-118_metric_e.html.
                      Environment Canda provides an ATOM feed subscription.. see https://weather.gc.ca/business/index_e.html#rss
                      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

The updater submittal file is at http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsSprinkle...0_0_17_HS3.zip. mcsSprinklers_2009.dll has the logic update. HSPI_MCSSPRINKLERSP.exe has the version number update.

Comment

I looked into Environment Canada and in particular the RSS feed. An extract from this feed for Vancouver, BC is below. What is not reported in the current conditions/observed is the rainfall and the UV or other forms of solar data. I did see a max UV forecast in the forecast. Showers are predicted for today so perhaps later rainfall will be reported. Just need to wait and see. The forecast rainfall percentage is also included when above some threshold. I saw 60% and 70% in this forecast.

There should be other ways of getting to the rss feed besides the city code (bc-99 for Vancouver), but I did not see any documentation in this area. Needing to enter the city code would not be that bad. Converting text of "A few showers" to an icon will be hit and miss as additional text shows up in the feeds. Again no documentation for reference.

Code:
                          https://weather.gc.ca/rss/city/bc-99_e.xml

Observed at: West Vancouver 10:00 AM PDT Sunday 31 May 2020 [br/]
                          [COLOR=#d35400][B]Temperature[/B]: 9.6[/COLOR]°C [br/]
                          Pressure / Tendency: 101.6 kPa rising[br/]
                          [COLOR=#d35400][B]Humidity[/B]: 96[/COLOR] %[br/]
                          Dewpoint: 8.9°C [br/]
                          [COLOR=#d35400][B]Wind[/B]: E 4[/COLOR] km/h[br/]
                          Air Quality Health Index: 1 [br/]

A few showers ending near noon then a mix of sun and cloud. High 17. [COLOR=#d35400][B]UV[/B] index 7[/COLOR] or high. Forecast issued 08:49 AM PDT Sunday 31 May 2020

[title]Sunday: A few showers. [COLOR=#9b59b6]High 17[/COLOR].[/title]
                          [title]Sunday night: Partly cloudy. [COLOR=#9b59b6]Low 10[/COLOR].[/title]
                          [title]Monday: Mainly sunny. [COLOR=#9b59b6]High 19[/COLOR].[/title]
                          [title]Monday night: Clear. [COLOR=#9b59b6]Low 11[/COLOR].[/title]
                          [title]Tuesday: Periods of rain. [COLOR=#9b59b6]High 17.[/COLOR] [COLOR=#16a085][B]POP[/B] 70[/COLOR]%[/title]
                          [title]Tuesday night: Cloudy periods. [COLOR=#9b59b6]Low 11[/COLOR].[/title]
                          [title]Wednesday: Sunny. H[COLOR=#9b59b6]igh 20[/COLOR].[/title]
                          [title]Wednesday night: Clear. [COLOR=#9b59b6]Low 12[/COLOR].[/title]
                          [title]Thursday: Sunny.[COLOR=#9b59b6] High 20[/COLOR].[/title]
                          :
                          :

Comment

I explored some other sites and it looks like rainfall is not reported until the end of the day and then it falls into the historical data category. Historical data is not in this RSS feed. The only place I saw it was on the browser HTML page.

Comment

Thanks Michael. Yes, I also found that rainfall wasn't being reported until the day after it happens. This is why I measure my own rain via my Ambient weather station - WS-1550-ip. However, despite all the weather sources, all seem to report some variation of the weather and forecast. For my irragation setup, I do use my own uv, rain and wind. Since these can easily be different just a kilometer away. I do use Greg's Wadenut's Environment Canada script which pulls the temperature off EC's site since my station is in direct sunlight.
                              I use OWM for forecast which seems reasonable.

Robert
                              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Working...
                              X